Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Weems Gets Qualifying Offer (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228606)

Dr.Funk 06-27-2011 06:47 PM

Weems Gets Qualifying Offer

Quote:

The Toronto Raptors have extended a qualifying offer to restricted free agent Sonny Weems.

Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=370164

brwnman 06-27-2011 07:32 PM

Re: Weems Gets Qualifying Offer

Not a huge surprise. His production for the price he's being paid is fair...

Qwyjibo 06-27-2011 07:44 PM

I don't really want him since he's just a worse version of Derozan (who isn't exactly a star himself) but at least it would only be a 1-year deal if he accepts it. As of right now, James Johnson is the only healthy SF on the roster right?

Skywalker 06-27-2011 07:50 PM

rather see someone new but w/e not a huge deal

Prodigy 06-27-2011 09:21 PM

So who's going to get the minutes between Johnson/Kleiza/Weems?

Reef 06-27-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
So who's going to get the minutes between Johnson/Kleiza/Weems?

Should be Johnson. I don't think Kleiza will be ready in time for the season, and Weems should be a 12th man.

Jballer 06-28-2011 10:48 AM

The answer probably lies in the fact that Derozan and Weems are good friends ??

I dont expect many minutes out of Weems either - but the best analogy is signing Jarrett Jack with Chris Bosh being the target. (in the sense that targeting Jack was about building around Bosh - Jack is/was a vg player in his own right. I am not comparing Derozan/Weems to Bosh/Jack - just the circumstances).

--

Given the stats on defensive efficiency and the fact the the only player in the line up that consistently improved the d efficiency (last year) is James Johnson - I would be more than willing to bet that coach D has JJ in the line up unless Kliza comes in with a strong game.

bokes15 06-28-2011 11:36 AM

^^ Perhaps you could be right about the move in some ways being to appease Derozan. But by now we know that BC loves making cheap signings at the wings so that he can look like a genius when they play at a decent level for the position (Weems in stretches last year, Jamario Moon, etc...). If the qualifying offer was 2-3 mill rather than 1, he'd most likely be sent packing. So it's a typical low risk, low reward type of move. I don't really care one way or another to be honest. It's only a 1 year deal so it's clear that he's only around until something better comes along.

Chamberlain 06-28-2011 12:28 PM

I don't mind him, and he's not getting paid a lot, and he seems to keep team morale up. Might as well.

Prodigy 06-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I don't mind him, and he's not getting paid a lot, and he seems to keep team morale up. Might as well.

Wasn't he sulking last year due to Jay cutting into his minutes with the arrival of JJ?

bokes15 06-28-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Wasn't he sulking last year due to Jay cutting into his minutes with the arrival of JJ?

Good point. Honestly, a 1 year 1.1M qualifier kind of sucks for him. Amir got paid, Bargs got paid, Derozan is about to get paid and Weems is making pennies on the dollar by comparison. He will have the same problem as last year in that he won't be getting the playing time to prove that he's worth a decent (3-4M) level NBA contract following this year. As Q said he's pretty much a poor man's Derozan.

Jballer 06-28-2011 04:21 PM

I think his beef was a lack of minutes "in a contract season" i.e. specifically in a contract season therefore the chance to sign a few million dollar extension with "any team".

There were rumors he was going to the Bulls for our draft pick back i.e the low ranking 30. The option qualifying offer could be still in play. Sign the option to deal him.

bokes15 06-28-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jballer
I think his beef was a lack of minutes "in a contract season" i.e. specifically in a contract season therefore the chance to sign a few million dollar extension with "any team".

There were rumors he was going to the Bulls for our draft pick back i.e the low ranking 30. The option qualifying offer could be still in play. Sign the option to deal him.

Isn't that what I just said? :oldlol: Anyways I obviously agree.

RaininThrees 06-28-2011 04:44 PM

No issues with a one year deal.

The team is gonna need some bodies to throw to the lions next year.