Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mavericks can use a good backup power forward (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229249)

insidehoops 07-05-2011 05:28 PM

Mavericks can use a good backup power forward

The Mavs have a very good bench, but they could still use a clear, good backup power forward

Some brief discussion on it here: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7941

kentatm 07-05-2011 06:07 PM

Re: Mavericks can use a good backup power forward

they will continue to use Marion and Cardinal at backup PF.

they have a ton of cash coming off the books in 2012 and are likely trying to keep room open to go after Deron Williams.

LJJ 07-05-2011 06:11 PM

Nowitzki
Chandler
Haywood
Marion

Add in a couple of scrappers and that's a perfectly fine 4/5 rotation. Marion can log time backing up both forward spots, and he's is savvy and big enough to play most 4s. If the opposition has an exceptionally big front court you can always use Haywood and Chandler a bit more.

Mavericks main objective should simply be to hold on to Chandler and Butler imo. Beaubois can take Barea's spot.

Kidd Beaubois
Terry Stevenson
Butler Marion
Nowitzki Marion
Chandler Haywood

blablabla 07-05-2011 06:12 PM

k-mart

kentatm 07-05-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
Nowitzki
Chandler
Haywood
Marion

Add in a couple of scrappers and that's a perfectly fine 4/5 rotation. Marion can log time backing up both forward spots, and he's is savvy and big enough to play most 4s. If the opposition has an exceptionally big front court you can always use Haywood and Chandler a bit more.

Mavericks main objective should simply be to hold on to Chandler and Butler imo. Beaubois can take Barea's spot.

Kidd Beaubois
Terry Stevenson
Butler Marion
Nowitzki Marion
Chandler Haywood

there is no way Bobo can take JJBs spot next season. He just broke his foot again. The dude looked awful running PG the last two years and only performed well when played at SG.

Terry is more likely to play PG than Bobo at this point.

KMart did imply at one point he wouldn't be opposed to playing in Dallas which was funny considering past history. I seriously doubt he would come to Dallas to be a low minute player on a small contract though.

Kellogs4toniee 07-05-2011 06:17 PM

They can but its not necessary. I think there ultimately looking for that next piece that will carry them like Nowitzki has in the next couple years. Someone mentioned Deron Williams. This team is just so deep, and the scary part is if they hold onto Butler, they will have an above-decent SG, as well as Beaubois's potential. Mark Cuban will find a way.

LJJ 07-05-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentatm

they have a ton of cash coming off the books in 2012 and are likely trying to keep room open to go after Deron Williams.

Lol, Deron Williams, let's keep the scenario somewhat plausible please.

That's only possible if Dallas doesn't re-sign Chandler and somehow makes Haywood's or Marion's contract disappear. And that would be a barren team. Deron Williams, old ass Dirk and scrubs isn't going to go anywhere.

MeLO MvP 15 07-05-2011 06:36 PM

Yeah they wanted Al Harrington last summer but he chose Denver. I could see Kenyon being perfect if Cuban and Dirk forgive him for the beef they had. There are actually a lot of good bigs available this FA (whenever it is), so they'll probably pick up somebody good.

kentatm 07-05-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
Yeah they wanted Al Harrington last summer but he chose Denver. I could see Kenyon being perfect if Cuban and Dirk forgive him for the beef they had. There are actually a lot of good bigs available this FA (whenever it is), so they'll probably pick up somebody good.

Harrington picked Denver b/c they offered him a couple more years than Dallas was willing to give him. Dallas was only offering 2 years with a team option for the 3rd. Denver signed him for 5.

Dallas was trying to keep their options open for 2012.

They may not get Deron but they have been exploring ways to get him. Its why they were trying to trade for Devin Harris. They were going to try and move him to Utah for DW. NJ saw the situation in Utah the same as Dallas and cut the Mavs out of the equation.

I didn't say they were going to sign him outright, they were just keeping room open in their future budget (yes, Cuban is operating on a budget even though its higher than other teams).

JohnnySic 07-05-2011 07:08 PM

They are welcome to take Glen Davis.

DMAVS41 07-05-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

there is no way Bobo can take JJBs spot next season. He just broke his foot again. The dude looked awful running PG the last two years and only performed well when played at SG.

Terry is more likely to play PG than Bobo at this point.

KMart did imply at one point he wouldn't be opposed to playing in Dallas which was funny considering past history. I seriously doubt he would come to Dallas to be a low minute player on a small contract though.

Agree on Bobo. At this point, he probably has more trade value than actual value to the Mavs. He's hurt again and he absolutely won't be able to learn to run the point on the fly. I think it makes our chances of signing Barea much greater now.

I read recently that Millsap was available. Which of course makes perfect sense considering all the forwards the Jazz have.

I don't know what we could really offer, but maybe Bobo and some of our younger pieces that won't play much would be enough. Maybe a future pick as well.

It would be nice to have a player like Millsap backing up Dirk. I don't know what the Jazz are after, but we do have some young talent at pg and sg on great contracts.

Rekindled 07-05-2011 10:28 PM

sign and trade beaubois+ caron butler + pick for dwill

DMAVS41 07-05-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekindled

I love the idea, but I don't think that is enough.

ballerz 07-06-2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekindled

No way nets are doing that trade

greensborohill 07-06-2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

My man Kent T A&M with the Mavs info! D-Will is mutally interested in becoming a Mav, leaves the door open for a few more title runs!