Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Boston Celtics need help at center (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229254)

insidehoops 07-05-2011 05:58 PM

Boston Celtics need help at center

With Kendrick Perkins long gone, Shaq retired, and Jermaine O'Neal ancient, the Celtics are definitely in the market for a new big-man

What should they do?

Here's a brief read on it: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7943

Kellogs4toniee 07-05-2011 06:03 PM

Re: Boston Celtics need help at center

I am not sure how Nene's next contract is going to look like, but if they can get him at a fair deal Nene would be great at center for that organization. Chandler will be cashing in obviously but if they can get him at a fair price he would be great also. He does everything Perkins did pretty much but with better help defense. Marc Gasol would be great too. They just need to pick up any one of those three and I think they should be fine at the 5-position.

blablabla 07-05-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
I am not sure how Nene's next contract is going to look like, but if they can get him at a fair deal Nene would be great at center for that organization. Chandler will be cashing in obviously but if they can get him at a fair price he would be great also. He does everything Perkins did pretty much but with better help defense. Marc Gasol would be great too. They just need to pick up any one of those three and I think they should be fine at the 5-position.

c's don't have more than mle if there is one in the new cba and guys like gasol,chandler,nene will get atleast 10million per season
the c's should hope they get dwight

pete's montreux 07-05-2011 06:15 PM

Wait til 2012.

bagelred 07-05-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee

Wow those are some good ideas. You know who else they should go for? Dwight Howard. If they can get him at a fair deal, Howard would be great at center for that organization. Thats just the way I feels.

Kevin_Garnett_5 07-05-2011 06:28 PM

gasolina 07-05-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Wow those are some good ideas. You know who else they should go for? Dwight Howard. If they can get him at a fair deal, Howard would be great at center for that organization. Thats just the way I feels.

I feel your pain. Sometimes you just question yourself why post in an internet forum.

Kidding aside, it's hard to speculate at this point. Especially with the MLE up in the air. Just took a peek at their salary. They still have shaq and Rasheed eating up salary. The most they can hope for is the MLE, and I guess at their level Sammy Dalember is the logical choice.

It'll be fun which centers actually sign for Boston and Miami for the MLE if we actually have an MLE

JohnnySic 07-05-2011 07:06 PM

DeAndre Jordan for the MLE please. :(

HylianNightmare 07-05-2011 07:08 PM

jajuan johnson

ballerz 07-05-2011 11:18 PM

We are f*cked next season for a center. we have no money and probably end up signing some scrub

ballup 07-05-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballerz
We are f*cked next season for a center. we have no money and probably end up signing some scrub

You mean Big Baby?

Sorry, couldn't resist

LAClipsFan33 07-05-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
DeAndre Jordan for the MLE please. :(

Hell f*ck no !

:roll:

Theoo's Daddy 07-05-2011 11:35 PM

Hooward to the celtics seems to be getting some legs..

boozehound 07-06-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theoo's Daddy
Hooward to the celtics seems to be getting some legs..

these nene, howard, etc pipe dreams are ridiculous. Even presuming the MLE or similar cap exception, there is no way they can go after a top tier center in free agency.
even dudes like deandre jordan, greg oden and sammy d will be out of their range

Thankfully, they are in luck, because this year's free agent crop is very heavy at center and there are a bevy of 2nd and 3rd tier centers that will be available within the celtics price range.

Quote:

2nd tier or young with potential
Vanilla Gorilla
hayes
Kurt Thomas
Kwame Brown

fesenko
hawes
haddadi

Quote:

3rd tier or what you see is what you get
jeff the man foster!
ratliff
gadzuric
Etan thomas
elson
aaron gray
Ely
Mbenga

Quote:

There are even a good batch of pf/c types
humphries
landry
Wilcox

powe
Jared Jeffries
craig smith
McBob
Songalia

I have bolded the ones that I think are somewhat realistic good options for the celts for next year and somewhat beyond. They clearly arent going to get a home run in free agency, but considering how much they threw at J Oneal last year, there are at least 10 guys in those lists I consider a better fit. and probably a better player.

Seems odd they gave up their only good young center for a guy who plays the same position as their franchise star. and then traded any young bigs they had for future considerations (not that those dudes were the answer). But, I do think they can plug the gap pretty decently in free agency.

Faberg 07-06-2011 02:34 AM

Why on Earth did they get rid of Semih Erden and Luke Harangody?