Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amare says he will NOT go overseas, NY and Knicks are his focus. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229636)

niko 07-10-2011 01:37 PM

Amare says he will NOT go overseas, NY and Knicks are his focus.

That's my guy! :cheers: Finally someone who understands. (Plus you have to figure the Knicks owner wants nothing to do with this lockout, he's constantly wanting to overpay everyone. Teams want hard cap, NY wants no cap.)

Yes, i get how playing overseas could benefit some players but after the first player blows out an ACL in a spirited Turkish League game i'm thinking some people will come around to my thinking.

MeLO MvP 15 07-10-2011 01:41 PM

Re: Amare says he will NOT go overseas, NY and Knicks are his focus.

I saw him post it on twitter and was so happy.

But I never really felt overseas ball was an option for him. Same with Melo, Kobe, Wade, LeBron and anyone who has a big contract in the NBA. Deron Williams is taking a huge risk, but he's only got 1-2 years on his NBA contract, he wouldn't lose nearly as much as Amar'e (who has 4 years) or those other guys if he were to get injured. Also, I think it would cost a lot more to insure a guy like Amar'e... definitely not worth it for a Euro team

niko 07-10-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15

But I never really felt overseas ball was an option for him. Same with Melo, Kobe, Wade, LeBron and anyone who has a big contract in the NBA. Deron Williams is taking a huge risk, but he's only got 1-2 years on his NBA contract, he wouldn't lose nearly as much as Amar'e (who has 4 years) or those other guys if he were to get injured. Also, I think it would cost a lot more to insure a guy like Amar'e... definitely not worth it for a Euro team

I think the great fallacy here is that this "euro option" is good for the union. It's not. it fractures them (The rich like Deron get richer, the players who actually need the money with smaller deals are ****ed.) With the Union telling everyone to stay together, how bad is it that people with $13M deals are going to make sure they are least get $5M during the lockout. It also makes them players to the casual fan (not us) look like greedy bastards. Deron Williams, who has yet to commit 100% to the Nets and took off the remainder of the season last year to get healthy, commits 12 seconds into the lockout to make sure he "gets paid" and "collects a paycheck" from a "great business decision, not personal". All in quotes because he said it, not others.

It makes the players look greedy. It makes the owners cause look better (when you and I know it's iffy).

chips93 07-10-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
I think the great fallacy here is that this "euro option" is good for the union. It's not. it fractures them (The rich like Deron get richer, the players who actually need the money with smaller deals are ****ed.) With the Union telling everyone to stay together, how bad is it that people with $13M deals are going to make sure they are least get $5M during the lockout. It also makes them players to the casual fan (not us) look like greedy bastards. Deron Williams, who has yet to commit 100% to the Nets and took off the remainder of the season last year to get healthy, commits 12 seconds into the lockout to make sure he "gets paid" and "collects a paycheck" from a "great business decision, not personal". All in quotes because he said it, not others.

It makes the players look greedy. It makes the owners cause look better (when you and I know it's iffy).

i dont really understand this rationale. i think the players showing that they are willing to play overseas gives them leverage. it shows that they arent desperate for the lock out to end. i think it really helps the players.

Kevin_Gamble 07-10-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15

Why insure Amar'e and against what? I get the feeling that you believe a European team would have to insure the NBA players' NBA contracts....

As for the injury risk, let's get real here. If Amar'e went and got injured and was out for months, and then the NBA started again, do you think the Knicks will void his contract instead of waiting for him to heal? They have nothing to gain. It's not like they can then turn around and use that $15 mil. to sign another superstar. Who is out there that they can spend that money on? Sign back Wilson Chandler and end up exactly where they started from?

And even if the Knicks did that, that would be worse for the Knicks than for Ama're, who will sign another max contract with a different team. Do you think any agent will send his player to a team that voids contracts, especially in a league where the Knicks cannot offer more money than other teams?

bagelred 07-10-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

I don't agree with this logic. Doesn't make players look greedy at all. Do you think Deron Williams is greedy for wanting to earn a living? I don't.

I think its good that players go to europe. It shows NBA doesn't have a monopoly on their services. And the owners demands are unrealistic. I don't think this will fracture the union. It just means players will start to look at other income sources, whether its Europe, China, or whatever. It starts to show the owners that the NBA players don't need them as much as they think. There are other options.

knickscity 07-10-2011 02:19 PM

Good for Amar'e, to stay strong with his group.

That's what the players union needs, players who will be willing to stick it out.

blablabla 07-10-2011 03:22 PM

based amare:bowdown:

Real Men Wear Green 07-10-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

The logic behind locking players out is that when these guys aren't making any money they will capitulate just for the sake of earning a paycheck again. Especially some of these guys with fleets of luxury cars getting bottle service in the VIP every night with pet tigers and other such bullshit. If players are earning money during the lockout the Union will be able to hold out longer and thus get a better deal if the owners are truly willing to kill a season. You actually have it backwards: the more players that are willing to go overseas, the better it is for the NBPA because it shows the owners that they aren't the only option, that they have to compete for the services of the best players in the world.

Players look greedy? Lockouts/strikes always make both players as well as owners look greedy, why is a guy finding another job when his current employer won't let him work make him look any worse? Barely anyone will see things that way. When a lockout happens the players owe their teams that refuse to let them train/practice/play at their facilities and more importantly, aren't paying them any money in spite of their contracts, no loyalty whatsoever. It's for the individual player to decide whether or not he's willing to play in a different league. Williams isn't a bad guy for going to Turkey just like STAT isn't a bad guy for his decision to stay exclusive to the Knicks. It's not a moral decision, it's a business decision.

kkling 07-10-2011 03:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djbQoVpsw4E

Rowe 07-10-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The logic behind locking players out is that when these guys aren't making any money they will capitulate just for the sake of earning a paycheck again. Especially some of these guys with fleets of luxury cars getting bottle service in the VIP every night with pet tigers and other such bullshit. If players are earning money during the lockout the Union will be able to hold out longer and thus get a better deal if the owners are truly willing to kill a season. You actually have it backwards: the more players that are willing to go overseas, the better it is for the NBPA because it shows the owners that they aren't the only option, that they have to compete for the services of the best players in the world.

Players look greedy? Lockouts/strikes always make both players as well as owners look greedy, why is a guy finding another job when his current employer won't let him work make him look any worse? Barely anyone will see things that way. When a lockout happens the players owe their teams that refuse to let them train/practice/play at their facilities and more importantly, aren't paying them any money in spite of their contracts, no loyalty whatsoever. It's for the individual player to decide whether or not he's willing to play in a different league. Williams isn't a bad guy for going to Turkey just like STAT isn't a bad guy for his decision to stay exclusive to the Knicks. It's not a moral decision, it's a business decision.

Well Said.:applause:

thejumpa 07-10-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

One of the best posts I've seen in a while.

:applause:

MeLO MvP 15 07-10-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Amazing point. It's really just about point of view. Most casual fans look at a lockout and they think greed. Which yeah is true, but only to an extent. It's business negotiations. I think it really depends on what kind of fan you are (hardcore, casual or in between) and what your favorite team is.

thejumpa 07-10-2011 03:41 PM

Also, did anyone ever really think that Amar'e was gonna play overseas? I didn't. He's already mentioned that his back is still sore and he's in the prime of his career with tons of cash in the bank(hopefully). He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would risk injury just so he could get paid $5-8M to play ball overseas. Doesn't make sense to me.

Rowe 07-10-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejumpa
Also, did anyone ever really think that Amar'e was gonna play overseas? I didn't. He's already mentioned that his back is still sore and he's in the prime of his career with tons of cash in the bank(hopefully). He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would risk injury just so he could get paid $5-8M to play ball overseas. Doesn't make sense to me.

He mentioned some team in Israel.

They really treat you well over there if you're of the Jewish faith. I know that was a big factor in why Sylvan Landesburg turned down an unguaranteed Kings contract to play 1-2 years in Israel. Same reason Alex Tyus, undrafted PF from Florida, chose to sign in Israel.

I wouldnt be against Amare doing it, if he did.