Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pistons still like Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank as head coaching candidates (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229993)

insidehoops 07-14-2011 09:25 AM

Pistons still like Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank as head coaching candidates

This has been the case for a while now.

They like three other guys, too.

Read more info here: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7994

Apocalyptic0n3 07-14-2011 09:44 AM

Re: Pistons still like Mike Woodson, Lawrence Frank as head coaching candidates

If they hire anyone other than Frank or Woodson, I may have to go find Joe D and strangle him.

Off Topic: The lockout does not affect personnel hires, correct? Just players vs. teams?

Godzuki 07-14-2011 09:53 AM

both are overrated coaches. ATL under Woodson was basically stand around, iso 1v1 a lot of the time where they looked horribly coached sometimes with horrible spacing, especially against good teams when it mattered. against the lesser teams they looked real good with a lot of blowouts it seemed, but when other teams clamped down they looked lost often under Woodson. and the odd thing was it kept happening...like he couldn't adjust them to flow better.

Frank was one of the biggest joke coaches for a while, until like his last season where they started playing well and he started getting hyped. but before that there were years of very questionable coaching/rotation decisions.

we'll see i guess, but they're both like Avery Johnson type of overhyped with people thinking they're much better than they are imo.

it makes no sense to me why Detroit even wants Tayshaun back considering how loaded they are at SF/PF...if any team is overstacked at specific positions its them. they drafted a PG that will have to get run, Stuckey is going to SG, and i guess they'll still be overpaying/underplaying BenGordon off the bench. and they still have Will Bynum who has to get run, assuming Rips gone. i don't know wtf Dumars is doing...

wang4three 07-14-2011 09:57 AM

Lawrence Frank is a good coach, but not for the Pistons. This Piston team can't and probably won't play the defense required for his system.

Woodson had success with the chaotic, forward-intensive roster the Hawks had. Pistons have a similar construct. He's probably the better hire.

DetroitPiston 07-14-2011 11:05 AM

Not hyped by either, wanted Adelman but I knew that wasn't happening.

Woodson is the best choice, Hawks got better under him each year.

dr8ked 07-14-2011 11:58 AM

Please not mike woodson :cry: dude sucks for real. Lawrence frank maybe, he might have learn't a thing or 2 from doc after going 0-16 with the nets the year before. What happened my beloved pistons :cry:

MeLO MvP 15 07-14-2011 12:36 PM

I don't really like either for Detroit. I think they should go a different route. Woodson is like a worse version of Mike Brown, in that both are good defensive coaches but their offense is purely isos... but his defense isn't as good. Frank is actually an underrated coach IMO, but I don't think he's good a fit with a team like Detroit. I think he's better suited for a veteran team and probably as an assistant (Boston or NY).

Idk, who is really left after them... Adleman is the best but not a good fit for either side. I'd take the risk on some new guy like Buldenhozer (sp?) from SA. They should've hired Casey or Shaw, but too late now.

cbombdotcom 07-14-2011 01:31 PM

At least Woodson has Detroit ties, championship ties at that. He already has a relationship with the organization and he would already have respect from guys like Tay and Rip (even though they could both be gone). A lot of Atlanta's M.O. was stand around, let Joe Johnson operate or let Josh Smith clean up, but the Pistons don't have a one on one threat as steady as Joe. With that in mind, if Mike worked in better sets that spread the offense out more, we could be fine. To tell the truth, either is a step up from Kuester. Just to have a coach that has actual head coaching experience in this league is an improvement over our last two. Defense is going to be key though. Whether it be Woodson, Frank or whoever, we got guys who can score so I hope defense is stressed. These guys haven't been able to stop anybody the past 2-3 seasons.

hoopaddict08 07-14-2011 05:49 PM

I would rather give Bill Laimbeer a shot than hire Woodson or Frank.

Coolaak 07-14-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
I would rather give Bill Laimbeer a shot than hire Woodson or Frank.

exactly what came to my mind

dd24 07-14-2011 10:05 PM

I really don't want Woodson or Frank. I might be ok with Sampson but I'd really like to see someone like Laimbeer or Ewing get a chance. It's amazing how many lame coaches there are who are prime candidates but guys like Laimbeer, Ewing, Cassell, etc often get overlooked. I never like Frank in NJ. I didn't really think he was anywhere near as smart as the press tried to make him out to be. I thought those teams under achieved.

dr8ked 07-14-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I really don't want Woodson or Frank. I might be ok with Sampson but I'd really like to see someone like Laimbeer or Ewing get a chance. It's amazing how many lame coaches there are who are prime candidates but guys like Laimbeer, Ewing, Cassell, etc often get overlooked. I never like Frank in NJ. I didn't really think he was anywhere near as smart as the press tried to make him out to be. I thought those teams under achieved.

I hate the idea of recycling coaches. Bill would do just fine, he won 3 titles in the wnba as a coach,2 titles as a player with the pistons. He's a winner.. Mike woodson is bad, really, really bad.. I hate his coaching style, watch orlando starts beating us when he gets on board. A team we've been owning for years even after billups left. :facepalm

dd24 07-14-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr8ked
I hate the idea of recycling coaches. Bill would do just fine, he won 3 titles in the wnba as a coach,2 titles as a player with the pistons. He's a winner.. Mike woodson is bad, really, really bad.. I hate his coaching style, watch orlando starts beating us when he gets on board. A team we've been owning for years even after billups left. :facepalm

For the longest time I thought I was all alone in thinking the Pistons shouldn't hire Woodson or Frank. I'm glad to see it's not just me and actually a bunch of people agree too. Joe D has been terrible at hiring coaches. It's obvious there are a few good choices. I hope he makes the right one.