Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How important is Caron Butler to the Dallas Mavericks? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231064)

insidehoops 07-28-2011 10:18 AM

How important is Caron Butler to the Dallas Mavericks?

Obviously they just managed to win a championship without him, but still, they're better with him than without him, aren't they?

Of course, the size of his contract is a huge factor.

Here's Butler declaring that he hopes to stick with Dallas:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8077

Nowitzness81 07-28-2011 10:22 AM

Re: How important is Caron Butler to the Dallas Mavericks?

They would have been a better team with him taking the #2 scorer role instead of Terry.

Terry really played over his head the whole playoffs. It was remarkable.

They don't want to sign him because of his injury and are likely hoping Beaubois/Fernandez/Brewer can pick up some of the scoring slack.

kentatm 07-28-2011 10:47 AM

keeping Tyson Chandler is more important than keeping Butler.

I would love to keep him but if the NBA goes hard cap its not likely he remains a Mav b/c Tyson will suck up all the money available.

paperstreet 07-28-2011 12:23 PM

rumor has it the mavs want to go hard after deron williams in 2012.... and it might actually be possible after kidd retires and if chandler is signed for a reasonable amount.

as a mavs fan i'd give him a 1 year easily movable incentive laden deal for 6-7 mil. a long contract is hard to ask for.

but dont underestimate the so-called championship hangover, i could see caron as a catalyst to keep the mavs focused. a sort of "win another chip for caron" mantra.

Bigsmoke 07-28-2011 12:26 PM

They just won a title without him. :confusedshrug:

StroShow4 07-28-2011 12:26 PM

Seeing as they won the title without him, I'd go with "not very."

Kyle_korver 07-28-2011 12:55 PM

He needs to many shots to be effective.. And dirk didnt really look comfortable when they played together IMO

All Net 07-28-2011 12:56 PM

He is key depth wise but they won it all without him so.....

ihatetimthomas 07-28-2011 01:25 PM

Who knows if they win it all if he did play. With him in, would JJ have the impact he did? Would Terry have the impact he did? Would all the rolw players play above their normal game if he did? I dont think the chemistry would have been what it was if he were in the lineup. He would have been pulling 13-15 shots a game and clearly the role players would not have stepped up like they did.

So to answer the question, he is a good player but not a high priority. Money should be spent elsewhere esp with the acquisition of Fernandez.

DuMa 07-28-2011 01:28 PM

i feel bad for butler in a way. he got mind****ed

ihatetimthomas 07-28-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa
i feel bad for butler in a way. he got mind****ed

It has to be a weird feeling when you were the 2nd best player on the team and you go down and they end up playing better and win it all without you.

Bone Machine 07-28-2011 01:56 PM

Who even played backup SF to Marion? Brewer and Peja? Butler is much better than all of them, including Marion (offensive end). I suspect Kidd to play much less next year, and don't forget that Terry isn't a young dude either. Butler can play both SF and SG.

boozehound 07-28-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Machine
Who even played backup SF to Marion? Brewer and Peja? Butler is much better than all of them, including Marion (offensive end). I suspect Kidd to play much less next year, and don't forget that Terry isn't a young dude either. Butler can play both SF and SG.

in the finals (and western finals) their backup sf was kidd. Peja became a liability and carlisle apparently didnt trust brewer.

cteach111 07-28-2011 02:31 PM

well, if they lose Barea, they gonna need to retain Butler bigtime. They need someone to fill the slasher/pressure defense role.

Eric Cartman 07-28-2011 02:35 PM

If the resign all their other free agents, his importance is non-existence and detrimental to the team. Not only would he take away minutes from the great role players they have down there, he will hurt the chemistry of the team. Also he isn't a legitimate second option on a championship anyways.