Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Thoughts on QBR after Week 1? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234528)

StateProperty 09-12-2011 02:36 PM

Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69...al-qbr-leaders

Kerry Collins dead last:lol Fitzpatrick #1

StateProperty 09-12-2011 02:39 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Just noticed McNabb is rated 24. QBR FAIL.

Carbine 09-12-2011 02:48 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
I thought Vick played a bit better than those ratings would suggest.

Also thought Sanchez played well above his rating.

DuMa 09-12-2011 02:55 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
What was wrong with passer rating scale again?

StateProperty 09-12-2011 03:11 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa
What was wrong with passer rating scale again?

It's basically trying to eliminate QB's who rack up yards/completions in an already losing effort and then sit on a pretty QB rating even though they played like shit and lost.

It calculates how well the QB played as a whole (rushing, penalties, fumbles, when/where the yards were racked up, etc) instead up just how they played as a passer. You can see Vick is 17th in passer rating, but with 98 yards on the ground he obviously contributed to his team winning/scoring points more than his QB rating shows.

I like it when I read what they're trying to do but obviously it's not a finished product and the calculations are over the everyday fan's head.

jazz873 09-12-2011 04:04 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Looks pretty good :cheers:

Jall 09-12-2011 06:18 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
They are saying that Kevin Kolb had a below average game with:

18/27 309 yds 2 TDs and 0 ints

but Alex Smith played like a top 5 quarterback last year with:

15/20 124 yrds 0 TDs and 0 ints


I really don't know what to think.

-p.tiddy- 09-12-2011 06:21 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
based on this I don't think it is too bad...

Romo actually had a 100+ passer rating last night, which would be considered a great game...but here it is an average game more or less because they adjusted it for clutch situations, where Romo failed


will keep up with this, could be a great stat

Jall 09-12-2011 06:28 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
based on this I don't think it is too bad...

Romo actually had a 100+ passer rating last night, which would be considered a great game...but here it is an average game more or less because they adjusted it for clutch situations, where Romo failed


will keep up with this, could be a great stat


A 62.9 is an above average rating on this. It's closer to a pro bowl rating than an average rating.

-p.tiddy- 09-12-2011 06:34 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jall
A 62.9 is an above average rating on this. It's closer to a pro bowl rating than an average rating.

I remember reading that 60 was "average" :confusedshrug:

however, since Romo is 11th overall aparently he was above average yesterday I guess

looks like 50 is about the mid point here, you're right




Romo's performance is hard to rank, near flawless firt 3 quarters then garbage

I still think that this is a better showing than passer rating, where Romo is 100+

-p.tiddy- 09-12-2011 06:43 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
1 Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF QB 133.0
2 Aaron Rodgers GB QB 132.1
3 Kevin Kolb ARI QB 130.0
4 Matthew Stafford DET QB 118.9
5 Joe Flacco BAL QB 117.6
6 Drew Brees NO QB 112.5
7 Rex Grossman WAS QB 110.5
8 Cam Newton CAR QB 110.4
9 Jay Cutler CHI QB 107.8
10 Andy Dalton CIN QB 102.4
11 Tony Romo DAL QB 101.9
12 Matt Hasselbeck TEN QB 93.1
13 Luke McCown JAC QB 91.5
14 Alex Smith SF QB 90.4
15 Mark Sanchez NYJ QB 88.7
16 Philip Rivers SD QB 85.0
17 Michael Vick PHI QB 83.7
18 Kerry Collins IND QB 82.3
19 Josh Freeman TB QB 79.5
20 Matt Schaub HOU QB 78.5
21 Tarvaris Jackson SEA QB 78.3
22 Matt Ryan ATL QB 76.5
23 Sam Bradford STL QB 75.4
24 Eli Manning NYG QB 70.8
25 Colt McCoy CLE QB 70.1
26 Matt Cassel KC QB 64.5
27 Ben Roethlisberger PIT QB 52.9
28 Donovan McNabb MIN QB 47.9

^^^ passer rating

Romo is also at 11 here..they really aren't that different from each other now that I look at it...

infact in some aspects I think the passer rating list is better...I think McNabb was the worst yesterday

IlliniFan 09-12-2011 06:45 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Rex Grossman :bowdown:

StateProperty 09-12-2011 06:48 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
I've never been a fan of passer rating since a QB doesn't have to play great to have a great passer rating. It's not a good measurement of how well a QB played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtVfB1AqsC0

That's a 91 yard TD thrown by Vick. You read the boxscore you're going to see he has a perfect QB rating after that. You're going to read 91 yard passing TD by Vick and go woooahhhh. You watch the play and realize Vick did nothing but throw to DeSean on the sideline and let him work.

QBR takes into account how far the ball actually traveled in the air, whether the QB was under pressure when he threw, etc. I love the idea of it.


http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...-70-yd-pass-TD

^ 70 yard TD pass from Kolb yesterday. The ball traveled like 6 yards in the air. Kolb didn't make some kind of great throw, but QB rating won't tell you that.

-p.tiddy- 09-12-2011 06:51 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StateProperty
I've never been a fan of passer rating since a QB doesn't have to play great to have a great passer rating. It's not a good measurement of how well a QB played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtVfB1AqsC0

That's a 91 yard TD thrown by Vick. You read the boxscore you're going to see he has a perfect QB rating after that. You're going to read 91 yard passing TD by Vick and go woooahhhh. You watch the play and realize Vick did nothing but throw to DeSean on the sideline and let him work.

QBR takes into account how far the ball actually traveled in the air, whether the QB was under pressure when he threw, etc. I love the idea of it.


http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...-70-yd-pass-TD

^ 70 yard TD pass from Kolb yesterday. The ball traveled like 6 yards in the air. Kolb didn't make some kind of great throw, but QB rating won't tell you that.

thus Kolb is #3 overall in rating, but #16 here

good post State, I think you just sold me on this rating with this post

StateProperty 09-12-2011 06:51 PM

Re: Thoughts on QBR after Week 1?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
thus Kolb is #3 overall in rating, but #16 here

good post State, I think you just sold me on this rating with this post

I sold -pt- on a post. History was made.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy