Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should NBA players someday start their own league? Amare's cool with it (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236615)

bagelred 10-11-2011 03:22 PM

Should NBA players someday start their own league? Amare's cool with it
 
Yeah I said it.

Get the plans going now to start in 2012-2013.


Yeah I said it.

It will be tough going at first, but once the organization gets its footing it will ultimately be more profitable for the players.

Yeah I said it.





Paragraph......I mean, Word!

28renyoy 10-11-2011 03:48 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
players aren't willing to take the risks plus do you realize how long this would take to set up? you would have to get billions for funding/advertising.

iamgine 10-11-2011 03:53 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Plus the owners are far richer and more powerful. They'll crush this new league with ease.

MeLO MvP 15 10-11-2011 03:57 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Won't happen. It takes a lot of money to finance all the things that go into making a league. Not only would they have to get all the arenas, tv deals and employee stuff done (which is expensive like billions of dollars I think) but they'd also need to organize the whole thing. You really think millionaires are going to risk most of their money on a start up league when they have a sure thing in the NBA?

That would be an absolute disaster and they would never find anywhere near the amount of money necessary to make such a league possible.

They'd be better off financially of just accepting the owners current proposal, going overseas or missing a season.

Sarcastic 10-11-2011 04:03 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgine
Plus the owners are far richer and more powerful. They'll crush this new league with ease.


They can't crush a new league without the top talent.

thejumpa 10-11-2011 04:22 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
It would be interesting to see who REALLY has the most leverage. Owners have the money, but players have the talent and already established appeal to fans. I think the players could get some sort of "league" up before the owners could.

MeLO MvP 15 10-11-2011 04:30 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejumpa
It would be interesting to see who REALLY has the most leverage. Owners have the money, but players have the talent and already established appeal to fans. I think the players could get some sort of "league" up before the owners could.

I disagree. How would they finance this "league"?

The best they could probably do is set up something like the games they've been playing except make somewhat consistent rosters, keep record of who wins and pocket the money instead of donating it (which wouldn't sit well with the fans). That seems like a possibility that could be looked at after Christmas (if those games are lost). But it wouldn't be nearly the same without all the advertisements, arenas, tv deals and stuff all being low rate.

The only way something could actually be somewhat respectful and successful is if a guy like Magic Johnson (just an example and it could be multiple ppl) comes in and invests a lot of money into it. But then it becomes just like the NBA, the players working for somebody else. And I don't think anybody would invest much in a business like that. Maybe Nike could set something up but even that would probably be nothing more than exhibition games.

SCdac 10-11-2011 04:32 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
I wonder who would be the first player to hire himself as head coach. Kobe? Lebron? ... that would be something alright.

bagelred 10-11-2011 05:22 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 28renyoy
players aren't willing to take the risks plus do you realize how long this would take to set up? you would have to get billions for funding/advertising.


Really? Billions? For what? Explain what the billions are for.

You realize they don't have to actually build arenas right?

pegasus 10-11-2011 05:31 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Really? Billions? For what? Explain what the billions are for.

You realize they don't have to actually build arenas right?


They would at least have to build planes, because after having flown all those years, I just don't see them taking train or bus. :confusedshrug:

Kevin_Gamble 10-11-2011 05:43 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegasus
They would at least have to build planes, because after having flown all those years, I just don't see them taking train or bus. :confusedshrug:


Right, because the only way to fly anywhere is to build your own airplane.

Jasper 10-11-2011 06:19 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Yeah I said it.

Get the plans going now to start in 2012-2013.


Yeah I said it.

It will be tough going at first, but once the organization gets its footing it will ultimately be more profitable for the players.

Yeah I said it.





Paragraph......I mean, Word!


Playgrounds can't hold 15k fans.

But I am in the process of buying an arena.

I'll charge the players $15 for every fan that sits in a seat.

Question is how much will the players charge the fan to sit in those same seats for their overhead ???????

bagelred 10-11-2011 06:36 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pegasus
They would at least have to build planes, because after having flown all those years, I just don't see them taking train or bus. :confusedshrug:


Yes, Pegasus they would have to build planes....as well as building factories to make the basketballs.

pegasus 10-11-2011 07:57 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Yes, Pegasus they would have to build planes....as well as building factories to make the basketballs.


No, silly head. They could just buy them at any sports store. :hammerhead:

niko 10-11-2011 08:10 PM

Re: Players Owned League
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Really? Billions? For what? Explain what the billions are for.

You realize they don't have to actually build arenas right?

So the NY franchise would play where? Because MSG wouldn't take it. Where are there huge arenas without teams? And you would show the games on where? Who is paying your TV money? And advertising money? Because people already are tied up in contracts with the NBA.

The league would call an impasse and unilaterally impose a new CBA, one which even if much worse, would be better than a player financed league (in terms of payments). And players also have contracts with Nike, etc. which specifically ties to them playing in the NBA.

You can't build a new NBA.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy