Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Portland Trail Blazers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Trail Blazers should fast break more this year (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241257)

insidehoops 12-04-2011 04:13 AM

Trail Blazers should fast break more this year

The Oregonian reports:

And more than ever under McMillan, it seems, the Blazers' roster is most suited for an uptempo style.

When Brandon Roy was in the middle of his three-year All-Star run and the Blazers were built around his ability, it made sense for McMillan to employ a deliberate and efficient half-court style centered on execution and ball control. But regardless of whether the Blazers decide to use the "amnesty clause" on Roy and waive him from the roster, times have changed.

New point guard Raymond Felton excels in the open court and likes to push the pace. With Felton anchoring an offense built around LaMarcus Aldridge, Gerald Wallace, Wesley Matthews and Nicolas Batum, it seems only natural the Blazers would look to capitalize on the athleticism and versatility of the roster.

blazerjimmy 12-04-2011 06:01 AM

Re: Trail Blazers should fast break more this year

This has been my only problem with Coach McMillan....hopefully he'll be able to shut up his detractors and coach to his players' strengths....

Myth 12-05-2011 01:21 AM

Yeah, but I will give Nate credit for changing up some stuff last year. His hand may have been forced a bit due to a depleted roster, but he had some nice plays drawn up while previous years it was just isos all the time (I'm thinking the real change was the new assistant coaches, but Nate at least went along with it). Up tempo is hopefully just the next step in his evolution as a coach.

Maga_1 12-06-2011 09:19 PM

If we stay with Aldridge at PF and for now Camby at C .. it's ok to play an uptempo style, they run well the floor.
I just wish Rodriguez was still here, he was the best PG for that kind of style.

Toizumi 12-18-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maga_1
If we stay with Aldridge at PF and for now Camby at C .. it's ok to play an uptempo style, they run well the floor.
I just wish Rodriguez was still here, he was the best PG for that kind of style.

Andre Miller was always known as a run nd gun PG as well. He's not the fastest, but he loved to play uptempo ball. With guys like Felton, Crawford and GW we could be a really good team on the break. I hope McMillan lets the guys run this season. We should.

However, we should also stick to what was working for us. I think that coach did a solid job last season. We played a great half court set, with Aldridge being the main focus and playing like a true post up player.

Myth 12-18-2011 04:55 PM

They ran well at the start of the scrimmage (Felton to Batum was nice on the break). Then again, it makes it easy to run fast breaks when you are running against a crappy bench squad.

Mike Barrett 12-21-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazerjimmy
This has been my only problem with Coach McMillan....hopefully he'll be able to shut up his detractors and coach to his players' strengths....

Coach McMillan is a great coach, and even more, a greater person. His knowledge of the game will allow us to excel to the best of our abilities. Don't mind these critics. We are a strong organization and will thrive under his coaching abilities.