Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Oprah "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools" (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24379)

Smokee 01-02-2007 02:04 PM

OT: Oprah "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools"

Quote:

"Say what you will about the American educational system—it does work," she says. "If you are a child in the United States, you can get an education." And she doesn't think that American students—who, unlike Africans, go to school free of charge—appreciate what they have. "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools that I just stopped going. The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," she says. "If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16396343...wsweek/page/3/

thoughts?

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-02-2007 02:06 PM

re:

i fully applaud Oprah's efforts.

and the American school system was never about the government not trying hard enough, it's about lazy, delinquent kids who would rather build their social standings delusions rather than actually attain an education.

if you look at the American university system... or at least the top universities... you'll find they are head and shoulders a cut above the rest of the world.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-02-2007 02:09 PM

re:

herein lies the problem with liberals. pro-choice is a commendable action, but all too often the wrong choices are made. and one can counter that "wrong" is extremely subjective. well the facts don't lie do they? Oprah said he did not like what she saw in inner city schools.

everyone should be entitled to an equal opportunity and equal chance. yesI said it. everyone should also be protected under the law with equal rights.

but make no mistake, America is a capitalist society and there are winners and losers and if you do not try to succeed, others will be there to take advantage of you.

everyone should be given a good chance to succeed but you do yourself no favors when you do not be all that you can be, and then you whine about special treatment.

2LeTTeRS KD 01-02-2007 02:10 PM

I agree, but honestly thats not just in inner city schools thats in everywhere in this country.

Younggrease 01-02-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
I agree, but honestly thats not just in inner city schools thats in everywhere in this country.

i agree with Oprah it frustrating. Its like your kids get brainwashed with this attitude that they either cant or dont need to learn.

Its not only inner city though, but it is mostle minority schools, check out Camdem and Willingboro in NJ. I would never send my kids there, its a disgrace the enviromnent these kids are put in. The teachers dont even care.

Howard5Dirk41 01-02-2007 02:22 PM

Oprah is a fraud.

kwajo 01-02-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
if you look at the American university system... or at least the top universities... you'll find they are head and shoulders a cut above the rest of the world.

I think a few people in the UK, Canada, Germany, etc. would disagree with that

Eldrunko247 01-02-2007 02:24 PM

Well it's true. In other countries you don't have free schooling. Some countries you have to pay to go to school.

Younggrease 01-02-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwajo

agreed, i guess Oxford and London School of Econnomics are just average schools when compared to Columbia or Brown,

final.wrath 01-02-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
herein lies the problem with liberals. pro-choice is a commendable action, but all too often the wrong choices are made. and one can counter that "wrong" is extremely subjective. well the facts don't lie do they? Oprah said he did not like what she saw in inner city schools.

the problem with liberals? was there any liberal viewpoint even presented? no.

VC you have this way of making it you vs. "the liberals" without any "liberal" side of the argument even being brought into the discussion. stop being a biased junktugger.

GOBB 01-02-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by final.wrath
the problem with liberals? was there any liberal viewpoint even presented? no.

VC you have this way of making it you vs. "the liberals" without any "liberal" side of the argument even being brought into the discussion. stop being a biased junktugger.

:roll:

shadow 01-02-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

yet people from all over the world come to United States for higher education. And I can tell you its sure as hell ain't cos its cheap. The high school system however, that's the butt of many jokes where I come from. I can't comment on it though since I've never actually been to one.

PureElement 01-02-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

yeah very few.

Xsatyr 01-02-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PureElement
yeah very few.

Haha funny stuff. :roll:

joewait 01-02-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Haha funny stuff. :roll:

if the university systems were so great around the world, foreigners wouldn't be trying to infest the american university system like they are. You never see americans going to foreign schools but all the foreigners jump at the ability to infest the american school system