Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brooklyn Nets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nets trade 2015 2nd round pick for Mehmet Okur (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244458)

Nets fan 93 12-22-2011 10:29 PM

Nets trade 2015 2nd round pick for Mehmet Okur

Quote:

The Nets announced Thursday evening that they have acquired center Mehmet Okur from the Utah Jazz in exchange for the Nets' second round pick in 2015. Okur, who played more than five seasons with Deron Williams in Utah, fills the hole caused by Brook Lopez's injury.

Okur is owed $10.9 million this season on an expiring deal. He averaged at least 13 points per game in each of his five full seasons with the Jazz and more than 17 points per game in three of those. But he played only 13 games last season, dealing mostly with back issues.

Like Deron Williams, Okur played in Turkey. In 10 games, divided between the Turkish League and the EuroChallenge, Okur didn't appear to be bothered by his back issues. He averaged 13.5 points and 8.1 rebounds in 30 minutes per game for Turkish Telecom. He shot 46.4% from two point range and 38.2% from deep. In a head-to-head matchup with Williams and Besiktas, Okur had 18 points and 13 boards while his once and future teammate had 23 points and 8 assists. Besiktas won the game.

He scored a total of nine points in 30 minutes in the Jazz's two preseason games.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/12/22/...ond-round-pick

D12"Magic" 12-22-2011 11:26 PM

Re: Nets trade 2015 2nd round pick for Mehmet Okur

What a steal! He is not bad at all. He averaged 13 PPG with the Jazz.
Hope Brook recovers quick and gets well.

Kiddlovesnets 12-23-2011 04:47 PM

Well how big is his contract? We may have not only lost the chance to land Dwight, but also any other possible all-star players next summer.

Nets fan 93 12-23-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Well how big is his contract? We may have not only lost the chance to land Dwight, but also any other possible all-star players next summer.

he is paid 10 mill for this season. He expires. He makes basically the same as Turkoglu. So instead of cap relief we can just give them Okur's expiring contract.

gigantes 12-23-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
he is paid 10 mill for this season. He expires. He makes basically the same as Turkoglu. So instead of cap relief we can just give them Okur's expiring contract.

good point and a good reply.

seems like a decent pickup, whose game and abilities are not too dissimilar from brook's. *shrug*

Nets fan 93 12-24-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
good point and a good reply.

seems like a decent pickup, whose game and abilities are not too dissimilar from brook's. *shrug*

Thanks.:cheers: More of a perimeter player. He has a nice jump shot. I'm not too sure how much he has in the tank. But hey a 2015 spend round pick is nothing too special.

wang4three 12-24-2011 01:45 AM

I don't like this pick up.

MTing 12-24-2011 03:41 AM

Ehh Im half and half.
Hes a poor mans Bargnani, a shooting 7 footer but has no game inside. We needed someone to fill Brook's spot while he's out and I guess he's our guy.
Look for Humphries to up his scoring since hes probably who Derons going to in the post.

Nets fan 93 12-24-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTing
Ehh Im half and half.
Hes a poor mans Bargnani, a shooting 7 footer but has no game inside. We needed someone to fill Brook's spot while he's out and I guess he's our guy.
Look for Humphries to up his scoring since hes probably who Derons going to in the post.

A poor mans Bargnani that made an allstar team. I've heard that he will be a game time decision to see if he starts. It makes deron happy and was basically for free. When was the last time a second round pick lasted more than at least 3 years for nj? Who else was available? I don't see any negatives about this at all..

MTing 12-24-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
A poor mans Bargnani that made an allstar team. I've heard that he will be a game time decision to see if he starts. It makes deron happy and was basically for free. When was the last time a second round pick lasted more than at least 3 years for nj? Who else was available? I don't see any negatives about this at all..

In 2007 yeah but he hasn't been on that level since.
I'm not saying its a bad trade, just saying he's not the best big man out there.
I'm happy that we only gave up a 2nd rounder.

Nets fan 93 12-24-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTing
In 2007 yeah but he hasn't been on that level since.
I'm not saying its a bad trade, just saying he's not the best big man out there.
I'm happy that we only gave up a 2nd rounder.

I was just pointing that out. You are correct. But I dOnt see Bargnani ever making an allstar team.