Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: See "Children of Men" (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24678)

ALBballer 01-04-2007 08:01 PM

OT: See "Children of Men"

Damm good flick, below is a 10 minute scene from the flick. However, I must warn that it is a spoiler, but the scene is f-cking a -- the camera even catches blood on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T61ufvuu5_Y

Qwyjibo 01-04-2007 08:08 PM

This one is getting a bit overrated. A good action/chase movie but nothing much more than that. The sci-fi themes and background story were barely touched upon. It was an interesting idea but it was just left "out there". Good Clive Owen performance and one GREAT filmed action sequence towards to end.

MaxFly 01-04-2007 08:09 PM

Great movie, though I was somewhat disappointed in how it ended.

ALBballer 01-04-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
This one is getting a bit overrated. A good action/chase movie but nothing much more than that. The sci-fi themes and background story were barely touched upon. It was an interesting idea but it was just left "out there". Good Clive Owen performance and one GREAT filmed action sequence towards to end.

I think it was a lot more realistic then the other sc-fi, and because of that, I don't think it was really sci fi at all. The whole "all women are infertile" part is kinda like a bulb to illustrate the other problems in the society and showed how extremism only leads to more extremism.

It's not your typical sci-fi flick.

mhg88 01-04-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

I agree. I didn't think it was anything exceptional. The action scenes were nice and all, but that was pretty much all I liked about the movie. The ending blows too, as MaxFly mentioned.

jaydacris 01-04-2007 08:22 PM

hmm i watched this and the illusionist on the same night
i liked the illusionist a tad better ;]

rezznor 01-05-2007 12:03 AM

nice gears of war cam

vapid 01-05-2007 05:14 AM

I thought it was quite excellent. Definetly liked the action at the end. Some nicely filmed bits. Clive owen did a good job. I didn't see another way for the movie to end, so I thought the ending was alright.

ClutchCityReturns 01-06-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Yep. Judging by what the critics are saying, you'd expect a 9 or 9.5 out of 10. Claiming it to be one of the best of this year and maybe even the next couple of years. I felt it was more like an 8. Better than just "a good movie" but not really something that's going to be of any significance come the end of the calendar year.

I like open-ended movies, but this one was a bit too open-ended for me.

ClutchCityReturns 01-06-2007 09:06 PM

Hmm...I actually just read some stuff that said they didn't do the single take scenes all at once. They supposedly shot a handful of takes and then spliced them together using CGI to mesh the transitions.

If so I think that's even more impressive in a way. :applause:

boceltballa 01-06-2007 11:33 PM

I just came home from seeing this movie and I loved it! 4 stars (out of four)!

For all you haters or the people who liked some of it but didn't like the ending, I guess you don't understand some of it.

If you haven't seen it yet you probably don't want to read this...

Sure the ending didn't answer the question, "What happens next?" or "How will the world change because of the baby?" It just assumes that the girl made it to the boat. The ending was so quick because it just fit with the pace of the movie. Everything happened so quickly. From the opening scene with the explosion in the Cafe to Julianne Moore's character getting killed (I thought she would've been in it more than she was), the movie was surprisingly simple, smart, and fast.

I was happy to see Clive Owen's character die. I hate movies where the likeable character gets through the impossible. With all those undodgeable bullets flying through the air, he had to die. If he didn't die, I would have been extremely disappointed and probably would have cost the movie a star and a half.

Just a few thoughts...

ClutchCityReturns 01-07-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boceltballa
For all you haters or the people who liked some of it but didn't like the ending, I guess you don't understand some of it.

I don't think anybody in this thread disliked it (or part of it) because they misunderstood it. It's just the kind of movie where it's open to a lot of interpretation and some people are going to wish that things went a little further in depth. That's exactly how I feel and I understood the movie just fine.

JSub 01-12-2007 01:15 AM

I just saw the movie and now I want to kill myself. 4/4 Stars.

Zombles 01-12-2007 01:34 AM

Great movie. Solid political parallels to today's scene, great pacing, great camerawork, good acting, great sound-track.

Cheesy ending sucked though. 'Taciturn hero valiantly fights through mortal wound that he somehow managed to hide the entire time before tragically succumbing to it after seeing his mission through'.

you ever see someone shot in the belly? they don't ****ing walk around with a slight grimace on their face.

ClutchCityReturns 01-12-2007 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombles
you ever see someone shot in the belly? they don't ****ing walk around with a slight grimace on their face.

Ever seen someone who knew it was solely up to them to lead the future of the human race to safety? People can do extraordinary things in extraordinary situations.

Of course, I think it was lame too. Just giving some possible reasoning. :D