Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Prediction: Lakers don't make playoffs this year (unless...) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248825)

magicmanfan 01-21-2012 11:12 AM

Prediction: Lakers don't make playoffs this year (unless...)

Kobe is doing great and Barnes has had a few really good games,

BUT

Pau hasn't showed up at all yet,

Bynum is playing like he is carrying a piano on his back,

MWP hasn't showed up yet,

turnovers are ridiculously high (27 in a game once),

no penetration into the paint other than a few by Kobe.

This is not what I expected... They have a talented roster, but
it has been REAL UGLY so far this year.

I used to think that trading Pau and Drew for Dwight was way too
much, but after last night against ORL, I would include several more
players to get Howard.

Mitch has to do something or this team won't make the playoffs this
year.

lakerfreak 01-21-2012 07:44 PM

Re: Prediction: Lakers don't make playoffs this year (unless...)

If we didn't have enough players attacking the basket now, what makes you think that Bynum + Pau + many others as you say would help this team now?

You'd be looking at a lineup consisting of;

PG - garbage
SG - Kobe
SF - garbage
PF - garbage
C - Dwight

Key players off the bench -

Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage....and even then our rotation is about 9 total guys....so you can remove one garbage from our key bench reserves. Put that together, you have Kobe averaging 30, Dwight averaging 20, everyone else averaging garbage.

By the way, Pau was our best player against the heat, possibly our hardest game of the season.

What this team really needs is;
1) an identity
2) a makeover in the bench
3) Kobe to distribute
4) Mike Brown to be a bit more creative
and lastly
5) Steve Blake - That hit to our bench was the worst thing that happened all season. When he plays well, the bench plays well. A very underrated player he is.

lakerfreak 01-21-2012 07:46 PM

One more thing,

Dwight had a great rebounding game. I want to also add, he shot less than 50% (6/14) as well as 9/17 from free throw. He also had 4 turnovers and 4 personal fouls.

Orlando has great role players that hit their shots, and a better bench than we have. Stop making this into a "big man" issue.

lakersNUMBA1 01-21-2012 08:25 PM

we hire phil jackson as an assistant and start using the triangle :D

DKLaker 01-21-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak

By the way, Pau was our best player against the heat, possibly our hardest game of the season.

1) an identity
3) Kobe to distribute
and lastly
5) Steve Blake - That hit to our bench was the worst thing that happened all season. When he plays well, the bench plays well. A very underrated player he is.

DFish's game Vs. Dallas > Pau's game against the Heat????
But so what if a guy plays big 1 game and fails in 6 others.......that won't get it done!!! Pau is the 7th highest paid player in the NBA right now....is he earning his money?......even close?

1. An identity.....they are crap, we need to trade for players who are not crap.
2. A makeover......do you mean a trade??? That is the only makeover!!!
3. Kobe to distribute to WHO...the same guys who can't get it done????
4. Brown to creatively make crap guys play like real NBA players????
5. Steve Blake???? :ohwell: I'd rather have Sasha or Farmar :oldlol:

Our bench misses Shannon Brown = FACT!!!!

Bottom line is that we need a starting PG, a solid bench scorer, the Howard trade. This is easy to accomplish....Bynum for Howard + Pau to Houston.

Swaggin916 01-22-2012 01:04 AM

We need some penetration at PG. Our big men are fine. You can't be succesful in this league anymore without penetration... I mean you could when Phil was coaching, but that man's a genius and he is gone now. That should be numero uno for us... I mean Pau and Bynum anyone would kill for that front line. Darius Morris is the biggest bum i have ever seen and none of our other guards can penetrate... Kobe just settles for long range jumpers and right now that is totally killing us... but that dude can't get by his man so if they are bigger than he is and he can't post them easily, then what else can we do. Our most effective offense is Kobe/Pau pick and roll or pop tho and it's hardly done i don't get it.

Mike brown isn't a god coach, but when you are getting nothing out of 2 positions and NO 3 point shooting whatsoever, what can you do?

bladefd 01-22-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicmanfan
Mitch has to do something or this team won't make the playoffs this
year.

Truth be told, I don't know why you would even think the Lakers won't make playoffs with the current roster.. It is an automatic playoff team.. Check out some of the bottom 8 teams in the West. They are terrible.. I think some of you are overreacting. I fully agree that Lakers are NOT championship-contenders but to say that they won't make playoffs??? C'mon man. :hammerhead:

Realistically speaking, I am guessing the current Lakers are a 2nd-round exit team. Remember, our main core (Kobe, Pau, Bynum) is same on paper as it was the last couple years. Sure we lost Odom and a few other pieces and our core is a year older, but I think we are still good enough to get out of the first round.

magicmanfan 01-24-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

One more thing,

Dwight had a great rebounding game. I want to also add, he shot less than 50% (6/14) as well as 9/17 from free throw. He also had 4 turnovers and 4 personal fouls.

Orlando has great role players that hit their shots, and a better bench than we have. Stop making this into a "big man" issue.

I am not trying to make this a bigman issue, I am saying that this talented
team on paper is playing like crap. Kobe and Barnes are hustling and
working hard, but Drew is jogging up and down the court, Pau stands
around and watches too much, and everyone else can;t hit a shot
when it counts.

We only have one penetrator to break down opposing defenses (KB)
and that isn't enough. We really need a new speedy guard that can
help change this.....

As far as trading for Howard is concerned, he outplayed our bigs in
many ways in that game. Our bigs looked pretty lousy when it is
supposed to be our strength.....

IF the team plays like this for the rest of the year, we will not
make the playoffs IMO.

kobesabi 01-24-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakersNUMBA1
we hire phil jackson as an assistant and start using the triangle :D

Phil will not come back to Lakers ever again unless Jimmy is no longer in command. If you look at the thread about Shaw, you will understand.

I also agreed with the OP

talkingconch 01-26-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

If we didn't have enough players attacking the basket now, what makes you think that Bynum + Pau + many others as you say would help this team now?

You'd be looking at a lineup consisting of;

PG - garbage
SG - Kobe
SF - garbage
PF - garbage
C - Dwight

Key players off the bench -

Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage Garbage....and even then our rotation is about 9 total guys....so you can remove one garbage from our key bench reserves. Put that together, you have Kobe averaging 30, Dwight averaging 20, everyone else averaging garbage.

1) an identity
3) Kobe to distribute
and lastly

but don't think you agree that we can build off Dwight + Kobe this offseason/next year?? Or better yet when Kobe retires, Dwight fills the shoes in the spotlight and we have a go-to guy/superstar

tamaraw08 01-26-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd
Truth be told, I don't know why you would even think the Lakers won't make playoffs with the current roster.. It is an automatic playoff team.. Check out some of the bottom 8 teams in the West. They are terrible.. I think some of you are overreacting. I fully agree that Lakers are NOT championship-contenders but to say that they won't make playoffs??? C'mon man. :hammerhead:

Realistically speaking, I am guessing the current Lakers are a 2nd-round exit team. Remember, our main core (Kobe, Pau, Bynum) is same on paper as it was the last couple years. Sure we lost Odom and a few other pieces and our core is a year older, but I think we are still good enough to get out of the first round.

Great points esp the parts I bolded. Artest was great last night, I just don't see him playing that way in most playoff games, same with Fish, Barnes etc.
It just seems to me, they badly need a consistent "playmaker" in the perimeter. Lakers have to view this situation as Kobe and Pau having a 2 year window to win.

magicmanfan 02-15-2012 11:18 AM

OK, I might have to eat my words now that our bigs
are playing so much better, especially Pau. He's been ballin
for about 4-5 games now and it's great to see....

Now if Mitch can bring in a penetrating PG and we can start
breaking down opponent's defenses more, I think we might
be OK.

Sorry for the early panic attack!!!!