Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you were a NBA player, would you judge teammates based on what they make? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250573)

Poodle 02-03-2012 09:49 PM

If you were a NBA player, would you judge teammates based on what they make?

so if someone that is making 14mill is sucking, and you're only making 9 mill but playing better, would you fault him for not producing? if the best player on your team is making twice of what everyone else is, and he isn't coming through consistently, would you hold a grudge?

Rake2204 02-03-2012 09:52 PM

Re: If you were a NBA player, would you judge teammates based on what they make?

On some level, I think it'd be impossible to ignore that. I'm sure at some point if I were producing, making something like 3 million a year while my teammate was not producing, maybe not as committed to the game as me yet making 11 million, I bet I'd object on some level, if only internally. Logic says all that should go right out the window because we'd all be millionaires but the realistic part of me thinks it'd still rub me wrong.

iamgine 02-03-2012 10:12 PM

Re: If you were a NBA player, would you judge teammates based on what they make?

I don't think anyone's thinking about that on the court. It's more judging on how good you can/suppose to be vs how good you performed. Like, no one's gonna be upset that Rashard Lewis make whatever he make and not perform like Lebron. Or Tim Duncan for not being Tim Duncan cause he's old.

But everyone in his team will be mad if Russell Westbrook, despite only making 4 million, start playing like Delonte West.

Rake2204 02-03-2012 10:17 PM

I don't think I was anything close to a horrible teammate when I played basketball, but I'm just thinking of all the times I was annoyed, upset, or jealous of a teammate. Contrary to popular belief, even on championship teams, it's not always happiness and sunshine. So, taking all that into account, if someone were to introduce millions upon millions of dollars into the equation, I'd have to think that might up the stakes.

Then again, if it was essentially me as I am right now, making it to the NBA, I think I'd be easily satisfied.

ThaRegul8r 02-03-2012 10:35 PM

If someone isn't producing, that's the only thing that matters. How much money specifically they're making is irrelevant, seeing how everyone makes more money than the average person could ever dream of in his or her lifetime anyway. If someone's not producing, then the problem is their lack of production.

bmulls 02-03-2012 10:36 PM

Definitely. If there was no salary cap nobody would care, but your teammates' salaries are going to affect you. If I was Dwight Howard I'd be pissed at Rashard Lewis for sucking up a ton of money that could have helped my team win a championship and failing to deliver the results.

I probably wouldn't say anything about it though, that would be totally unprofessional.