Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251099)

Fawker 02-08-2012 12:24 AM

As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Fluke, maybe. I don't think a modern day player can ever make that type of mockery of the game of basketball since Wilt. Kobe put on the best scoring performance ever. In any case, he has this under his belt.

Bob Cousy 02-08-2012 12:37 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
If given a chance to have his old physique and legs back, the new Kobe would never have taken 50+ shots in a single game.

The old Kobe would and did.

Pushxx 02-08-2012 12:37 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
It's possible, but it's probably a once in 25 years type of thing.

The rules favor a perimeter player more than ever, so they don't preclude it from happening again one day.

CLTHornets4eva 02-08-2012 12:42 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushxx
It's possible, but it's probably a once in 25 years type of thing.

The rules favor a perimeter player more than ever, so they don't preclude it from happening again one day.


I think once a 25 probably is the trend. I think it will happen again, but it will require a player who can shoot 3's and is by far the best player on his team. Any qualified player that scores more than 81 cannot have a player on the team considered a scorer. Probably needs a top PG to forward them the ball too.

ImmortalNemesis 02-08-2012 01:02 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawker
Fluke, maybe. I don't think a modern day player can ever make that type of mockery of the game of basketball since Wilt. Kobe put on the best scoring performance ever. In any case, he has this under his belt.


Kobe's 81 pt game was itself a fluke. :oldlol:

bwink23 02-08-2012 01:05 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
That guy and the team would have to be committed to his scoring from the moment the jump ball goes up to the end of the game...that almost NEVER, EVER happens.

Nevaeh 02-08-2012 03:28 AM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwink23
That guy and the team would have to be committed to his scoring from the moment the jump ball goes up to the end of the game...that almost NEVER, EVER happens.


Agreed. Players just aren't bred to stat pad like that on bad defensive teams these days.

TheMarkMadsen 02-08-2012 02:51 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevaeh
Agreed. Players just aren't bred to stat pad like that on bad defensive teams these days.



Lol I swear some people just hate for no reason.

Bro, you didn't watch the game, so why even comment on this? You know how I know you didn't watch the game?

BECAUSE THE LAKERS WERE LOSING FOR THE MAJORTIY OF IT. Stat padding? No, more like brining his team back from being down double digits and having one of the hottest nights shooting in NBA history. What was he supposed to do pass to smush?

Don't bring your ignorant, biased opinion into a thread like this just to hate on a player.

Lol I love how people just dismiss an 81 point game by one player, without kobes 81 that night the Lakers lose by 40. The dude scored 81 points by himself, he outscored entire teams on that night by himself.

Blind hater

Heavincent 02-08-2012 02:52 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevaeh
Agreed. Players just aren't bred to stat pad like that on bad defensive teams these days.


You know the Lakers were down by like 20 at one point, right?

Bob Cousy 02-08-2012 02:55 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
Lol I swear some people just hate for no reason.

Bro, you didn't watch the game, so why even comment on this? You know how I know you didn't watch the game?

BECAUSE THE LAKERS WERE LOSING FOR THE MAJORTIY OF IT. Stat padding? No, more like brining his team back from being down double digits and having one of the hottest nights shooting in NBA history. What was he supposed to do pass to smush?

Don't bring your ignorant, biased opinion into a thread like this just to hate on a player.

Lol I love how people just dismiss an 81 point game by one player, without kobes 81 that night the Lakers lose by 40. The dude scored 81 points by himself, he outscored entire teams on that night by himself.

Blind hater

Sounds like you didn't watch it either lol ...

the game was in hand by the time he scored 60, he could have sat after that.

I don't really have a strong opinion on whether or not he should have kept padding but the reality of it is that he started to pad after a while.

Im definitley not a Kobe hater though, an I agree that the shot attempts were justified from the 1st quarter to the 3rd.

Heavincent 02-08-2012 02:57 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cousy
Sounds like you didn't watch it either lol ...

the game was in hand by the time he scored 60, he could have sat after that.

I don't really have a strong opinion on whether or not he should have kept padding but the reality of it is that he started to pad after a while.

Im definitley not a Kobe hater though, an I agree that the shot attempts were justified from the 1st quarter to the 3rd.


The Lakers were only up by 7 with 6 and a half minutes left in the game when Kobe had 59 points. Why in the world would they take him out at that point?

Bob Cousy 02-08-2012 03:00 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavincent
The Lakers were only up by 7 with 6 and a half minutes left in the game when Kobe had 59 points. Why in the world would they take him out at that point?

Im talking about in the 4th quarter when he was still in the game up 20.

at 40 seconds left they ran a play specifically for him as well to get to the line.

TheMarkMadsen 02-08-2012 03:08 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cousy
Im talking about in the 4th quarter when he was still in the game up 20.

at 40 seconds left they ran a play specifically for him as well to get to the line.



Lol lakers were up 10 with 6 minutes to go in the fourth? Why take out your only offensive threat if your the lakers?

And the lakers were up 15 with 24 seconds left to go? Not 20 with a minute still left

pegasus 02-08-2012 03:11 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Cousy
Im talking about in the 4th quarter when he was still in the game up 20.

at 40 seconds left they ran a play specifically for him as well to get to the line.


At that point, he was going for history. It's ridiculously stupid to call that stat padding. They were down by 14 at the end of first half. He made heroic plays to bring his team back.

Had PJax pulled him out in the middle of the 4th quarter, the crowd would have started a riot. You don't ruin a historic game like that.

Bob Cousy 02-08-2012 03:13 PM

Re: As seasons go by, 81 points will not be touched in modern day basketball.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
L
And the lakers were up 15 with 24 seconds left to go? Not 20 with a minute still left


now you're arguing semantics that are not even helping your case lol.

Why was he in the game up 20 with 1 minute to go ?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy