Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NBA should merge with EuroLeague (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251134)

La Frescobaldi 02-08-2012 12:44 PM

NBA should merge with EuroLeague

Why not?

Instead of a 6 game road trip for, say, Warriors to fly out to New England and down to Miami, swing back through Texas........ instead make it a 10 game road trip, to Germany, France, back to Germany, Greece, swing back through Spain

Meanwhile you got Italy & Belgium working the Stateside hoops.....

The nightmare of the long flight is nullified by the factor of byes after each flight... on the way over you got 3 days off in Hamburg hangin' on the Reeperbahn, then 3 days on, uhh... certain beaches in Barcelona on the way back............ where's the problem? You can sleep on the plane right

The_LA_Blakers 02-08-2012 12:45 PM

Re: NBA should merge with EuroLeague

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
Why not?

Instead of a 6 game road trip for, say, Warriors to fly out to New England and down to Miami, swing back through Texas........ instead make it a 10 game road trip, to Germany, France, back to Germany, Greece, swing back through Spain

The nightmare of the long flight is nullified by the factor of byes after each flight... on the way over you got 3 days off in Hamburg hangin' on the Reeperbahn, then 3 days on, uhh... certain beaches in Barcelona on the way back............ where's the problem? You can sleep on the plane right

There will be more international teams, but I bet Mexico City gets one first, and maybe another Canadian team if they can justify it.

ralph_i_el 02-08-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_LA_Blakers
There will be more international teams, but I bet Mexico City gets one first, and maybe another Canadian team if they can justify it.

or puerto rico. basketball's popularity is exploding there

CeltsGarlic 02-08-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
Why not?

Germany and France teams are one of the worst in EL. None of them made to the playoffs. There are a lot of teams from eastern Europe and Russia so flights would be very long.

Shade8780 02-08-2012 01:30 PM

God No!

ralph_i_el 02-08-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
Germany and France teams are one of the worst in EL. None of them made to the playoffs. There are a lot of teams from eastern Europe and Russia so flights would be very long.

If those teams were NBA teams, then the quality would probably get better.

The only thing I see wrong with this idea is that many American players would probably not want to be traded to Europe.

The Real JW 02-08-2012 02:13 PM

No thanks.

Jasi 02-08-2012 02:27 PM

And you should move the elite European teams into the NBA, thus ruining the national leagues, which would be 100% against this.

Jon_Koncak 02-08-2012 02:28 PM

Why would you want to add 20 teams worse than the Bobcats in the league?

el gringos 02-08-2012 03:17 PM

It wouldn't be taking 20ish teams though- if the nba will expand around the world it would be maybe w 6-8 european/asian teams- the advantages the american teams would have in free agency would be to huge to keep a competitive balance- good thing the nba isn't the nfl set up to achieve parity

CeltsGarlic 02-08-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
It wouldn't be taking 20ish teams though- if the nba will expand around the world it would be maybe w 6-8 european/asian teams- the advantages the american teams would have in free agency would be to huge to keep a competitive balance- good thing the nba isn't the nfl set up to achieve parity

I really doubt those teams would switch Euroleague, other tournaments and national tournament over NBA.

Fiba basketball 02-08-2012 04:25 PM

I wouldnt like that . It would be better if Nba and Euroleague champion played for world championship .

KBryant24 02-08-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_LA_Blakers

American players would never play in Mexico. Do u have any idea how unsafe it is down there?

TylerOO 02-08-2012 04:39 PM

Please no.