Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The New-New York Knicks (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255952)

Sarcastic 03-15-2012 03:03 PM

The New-New York Knicks

http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Berman/...60210383241216
Quote:

D'Antoni's speedball is officially dead as Woodson practice focuses on structured sets.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Berman/...48235028762624
Quote:

Amar'e Stoudemire admits offensive system is a' changin', blending more toward the superstars, less toward Linsanity. "He's going to utilize his leading scoerers, myself and Carmelo. make sure he takes advantage of every opportunity on the court,'' Stoudemire said after practice. "We've been profound scorers all our careers. He wants to make sure we take advantage of that.''

http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Berman/...39584016723968
Quote:

Watching practice as #Knicks go through myriad structured set. No adlibbing or freedom.

Scoooter 03-15-2012 03:12 PM

Re: The New-New York Knicks

Gross.

Sarcastic 03-15-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoooter
Gross.

God forbid we run plays for our $20 million players, rather than our $900k player. :rolleyes:

Scoooter 03-15-2012 04:25 PM

Mike Woodson is garbage. Depending on who the Blazers get to fill in for McMillan, the Knicks now have the worst coach in the league.

franchize 03-15-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
God forbid we run plays for our $20 million players, rather than our $900k player. :rolleyes:

it's ok...he's just venting

Scoooter 03-15-2012 05:52 PM

What Sarcastic was to D'antoni, I will be to Woodson. I'm definitely going to attack his stupid beard. Probably his weight too.

I might even get a little racial with it. Fair warning. And that tub of goo Marshmelo Fat-tony has lost every ounce of my fandom. I hope he gets hit by airplane wreckage.

Okay that was venting.

BrooklynZoo 03-15-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

so you advocate running offenses through players simply based on contract?

franchize 03-15-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo

I think he's trying to say it's about time we start giving the ball to the guys to our best players because at the end of the day, even if we dont, we still have to pay them.

Sarcastic 03-15-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo

No I advocate running the offense through the best players on the team. Our best just happen to also be our highest paid.

BrooklynZoo 03-15-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

No I advocate running the offense through the best players on the team. Our best just happen to also be our highest paid.

got u

bluechox2 03-16-2012 07:57 AM

hope it works...

knickscity 03-16-2012 08:15 AM

As long as the team wins.

Rameek 03-16-2012 08:55 AM

I only care about winning. I am not even caring about playoffs right now but just win games. If that goes through Lin, Melo, Bibby etc.... who the fukc cares? Its about winning. If "pseudo stars" get fed and we lose I am going to be pissed.

I do like the idea of the structure though because some of these guys basketball IQ's are weak and/or they dont hustle under D'Antoni's old system.

franchize 03-16-2012 09:44 AM

I don't get why people are so pissed about things. Even if you don't like Melo and Amare, you have to admit theyre our best scorers. Why not get the best out of your players? Both critics and fans of them have to admit, D'Antoni's system didn't help either of them this year. Furthermore, Lin was no longer flourishing in it either because people figured it out. Mike never made adjustments. Woodson's system doesn't necessarily take the ball out of Lin's hands. Running the offense through your best players doesnt mean give them the ball and get out of their way. Thats actually how we started the year; making Melo bring up the ball, then play pg, then try to score also.

Its not different than coaches on almost every level of basketball saying "run the offense through the big man." It doesnt mean every play is called for the center. It means the flow of the offense is initiated by how the defense reacts to Amare and Melo. It's up to them to draw doubles or at least cause the D to react. When they do, those guys have to effectively pass out of danger. After that, it's up to our supporting cast to make sound basketball plays; whether it be knocking down shots, penetrating or making passes to make the defense work/ get out of position.

I don't get why people are acting like this is anything new. It really isn't. Furthermore, I don't get why ppl act like D'Antoni's offense was so innovative. It was European influenced version of Paul Westheads offense. The one he perfected with Bo Kimble and the late Hank Geathers. Ironically, Magic was accused of getting Westhead fired which wasn't true lol Only problem is, Westheads offense fit perfectly with his high pressure defense. You can't have a high volume offense and disregard the defensive end.

Clutch 03-16-2012 10:33 AM

D'Antoni's offense lives and dies by the point guard play.
Every Knicks point guard had some flashes of brilliance (Duhon,Felton,Lin) which led to a winning streak.
Once they were figured out or/and couldn't sustain that level of play the Knicks went to mediocre/poor plays once again.

In Phoenix he had Steve Nash who is one of the all-star greats. He's amazing and consistent with his play. That's why he had success with the Suns.

Lin is good but Amare and Melo are simply better scorers.
I agree with Woodson's decision to build offense around our 2 best offensive players.
What's the point of having 2 great/elite scorers on the team if they are going to shoot 10-15 shots a game ?
Their defense isn't very good so if you won't let them play their game and give them a lot of touches it's better to trade them for some guys who are efficient and can play defense very well.