Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Royce White is a Charles Barkley clone (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256296)

HeyIt'sMe 03-17-2012 08:20 PM

Royce White is a Charles Barkley clone

Dude is a straight up freak.

el gringos 05-06-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Royce White is a Charles Barkley clone

Is this guy a sf or a pf? This is one of those guys that very few have actually seen play but we have all read the same reports- saomeone who has seen him, please fill us in

Scoooter 05-06-2012 02:51 PM

Saw him in the tourney. I iked his game. He was the best ball handler on the team as a 6'7"-ish power forward (though he could be 6'5" for all I know). It seemed like he was bringing the ball up court more than their PG.

JMT 05-06-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoooter
Saw him in the tourney. I iked his game. He was the best ball handler on the team as a 6'7"-ish power forward (though he could be 6'5" for all I know). It seemed like he was bringing the ball up court more than their PG.

A really good ball handler and passer for a guy his size. Fast too. Works hard on the glass. Physical presence, and reports are he's closer to 6'8" than 6'6".

Raw offensive game. He won't dominate NBA athletes in the paint like he did in college. Lousy shooter; under 50% from FT line. Not a good thing for a guy who spends lots of time at the line.

He's a bit of a risky pick. For all his athleticism, his conditioning hasn't been great. Though he's only a sophomore, he'll be 21 by draft time. Guy hates flying and suffers from anxiety disorder. Has had some behavioral issues, though none recently.

Late first round imo.

Goliath Uterus 05-07-2012 12:12 PM

Very underrated.

Thorpesaurous 05-09-2012 06:43 PM

That deathly fear of flying and other issues stemming from his anxiety disorder are real issues. If someone takes him late in the first and gets that stuff under control, he seems like he could be a real steal. His off court issues seem to stem mainly from those disorders he has. From what I read he was pretty much self medicating his issues. But the ball handling and passing at his size, and his nose on the glass, are legit lottery skills. Could be in a bit better shape. But the guy was really highly regarded coming out of HS, and those types of guys tend to payoff down the road.

Thorpesaurous 06-26-2012 12:32 PM

There are rumors that the Celtics gave White a promise. Although I gotta say at 21 and with two back to back picks, I'm not sure what the point of a promise is from the players standpoint. If you're available and they like you why wouldn't they just take you. Why would you stop working out, which is the point of the promise.

I guess if he sees it as a guarantee he doesn't fall out of the first round maybe.

senelcoolidge 06-26-2012 02:50 PM

Royce White = Jerome Lane. You just jinxed this guy by calling him a Charles Barkley clone.

Thorpesaurous 06-27-2012 12:20 PM

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ct-royce-white

Here's a nicely done long research piece on White from Grantland. A lot of good info about his past and issues. Apparently the fear of flying thing is pretty overstated, although reading it it's clear that this guy is a all over the place mentally. He's certainly not stupid. Probably has some Adult ADHD in him if I had to guess.

Still a really intrigueing player as the draft wears on because there's a definite risk vs. reward thing with him. His playmaking skills at his size are without question unique. He's not like a lot of the perimeter bigs because he's not a jump shot first guy like Antoine Walker was, but the Anthony Mason comps make a lot of sense.