Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   After stint in China, Wilson Chandler signs with Nuggets, again (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256359)

bagelred 03-18-2012 05:52 PM

After stint in China, Wilson Chandler signs with Nuggets, again

I don't like when my thread title and/or OP description gets changed by moderators for no particular reason.

So here's a picture of a turd. Enjoy.

Celtic_Pride 03-18-2012 05:55 PM

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Wilson Chandler signs with Nuggets

Good signing. Adds further depth to the team

niko 03-18-2012 06:00 PM

Unless they are going into luxury territory they can't sign McGhee. Which is a huge win for the nuggets! :cheers:

Toizumi 03-18-2012 06:02 PM

Good for the Nuggets and Chandler as well. He brings some defense to the team and he's another guy that can get out on the break. He's a bit of the ballstopper sometimes, but a great fit nonetheless.

bagelred 03-18-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Unless they are going into luxury territory they can't sign McGhee. Which is a huge win for the nuggets! :cheers:

That's not true......I did quick calculation without McGee, and I got about $50 million on payroll next year. So even if you pay McGee $10 million a year and a couple signings still be under luxury tax.

StroShow4 03-18-2012 06:03 PM

That's a lot of money to give a guy who's going to back up your best player.

NugzFan 03-18-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Do you know our cap situation?

Anyways...good signing. Hope he helps with our playoff push.

longtime lurker 03-18-2012 06:05 PM

Good deal for Nuggets, but it seems like they'll have a team full of good players, but not great players

FlawlessVictory 03-18-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Yes they can; they will only have about $47 million committed for next season and that includes Gallos deal kicking in and Chandlers...

The issue will be that Ty Lawson will be due a big payday soon and re-signing McGee to a big deal could send them into the luxury tax when you include Lawsons money.

If McGee has half a brain (I know thats a serious stretch), he should accept something like a 5 year $45 - $50 million deal with Denver*. If they can pull that off, they may be able to give Lawson a big deal and not go into luxury tax - They may need to amnesty someone like Birdman to pull that off.

*That is assuming he impresses Denver over the next few months and they want to keep him around - again I know, thats a slight stretch.

I think it would be interesting from an ego/team chemistry perspective to see how Denver would do with all of their main players earning around $10 million a year. Normally its superstar/s making $15 million+ and then everyone else on a lot less...

NugzFan 03-18-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
That's not true......I did quick calculation without McGee, and I got about $50 million on payroll next year. So even if you pay McGee $10 million a year and a couple signings still be under luxury tax.

:cheers:

StroShow4 03-18-2012 06:07 PM

Denver shouldn't re-sign McGee. Let him leave.

NugzFan 03-18-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Good deal for Nuggets, but it seems like they'll have a team full of good players, but not great players

Agreed but hopefully with our assets (tradeable, solid players; extra picks; big TE; potential cap space) we have amazing flexibility to make a move for a bigger name and keep a good team.

FlawlessVictory 03-18-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StroShow4
Denver shouldn't re-sign McGee. Let him leave.

Entirely possible if some team offers him stupid money like $13+ million a year.

They will probably also see how Mozgov continues to develop and could decide to pay him instead. They already gave Koufos a modest deal as a backup center and they still have Birdman under contract for a few more years for the C position.

niko 03-18-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NugzFan
Do you know our cap situation?

Anyways...good signing. Hope he helps with our playoff push.

no, i was just joking you couldn't sign McGhee. Since you all want to assume since you acquired him then he must be great, then i sincerely hope you are able to keep him for a long time, $10 a year for 4 years would be great. Here's hoping...:cheers:

Whoah10115 03-18-2012 06:15 PM

Who is gonna offer McGee stupid money? This team is good and he's going to be useful on a playoff team, if he doesn't waste it. He may be stupid but I don't think he's an asshole. If he's willing to learn, he's gonna make some all-star teams. He won't be a starter this year and will have about no chance of commanding $10Million a year.

That would leave Mozgov, maybe Koufos, maybe Arron Afflalo, and Wilson Chandler all being expendable. They can, in fact, net back something good. Something very good.

Point is, they have options.