Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brooklyn Nets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How depressing is it being a Nets fan right now? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256674)

gigantes 03-21-2012 03:02 AM

How depressing is it being a Nets fan right now?

allow me to take a moment and keep it real. after i'm done being depressed for a while i intend to go back to being hopeful again:

- howard has slipped away for another year. who knows if we'll ever really have a shot at him. who knows what kind of fortune we'd have to pay if we did manage to get him in trade one day.

- our 2012 pick is gone for little compensation unless the ping pong balls bounce right. odds are not in our favor, and that trade is looking stupider by the day.

- if you were d-will this offseason, would you really want to sign away your prime years for a rebuilding project, or would you want to do something like join dallas for a championship hunt?

- after years of suffering through a rebuilding process, we are looking at the very real possibility of doing it all over again. lopez and brooks are nice players, but let's be honest-- they're too little to really be satisfied with for all the time spent rebuilding. all of the other players who were going to be real good for us -- courtney lee, terrence williams, CDR, ryan anderson, yi jianlin, josh boone, etc -- are nothing more than awkward memories. teams that we looked down on yesterday, like the t-wolves and the cavs, are now ahead of us in both development and in the standings.

- prokhy is clearly focused on politics more than anything else, and if it continues, we can expect him to sell the team based on what he himself said. so much for enjoying the power of 'the richest owner in sports'.

- barclays is obviously going to be great, but you don't become a top team by virtue of your facility. it's not going to save us or directly make us better, at least not right away. we are not going to have the full drawing power and influence of the knicks for at least several years.

- are billy king and avery johnson really the solution for the future?

anything else? :(

MTing 03-21-2012 04:21 PM

Re: How depressing is it being a Nets fan right now?

I just hate how every time it looks like we're about to make the jump and become an elite team, we hit a wall. 2nd straight year (3rd if you include 2010's free agency) we got f*cked. Everyone had high hopes of getting a superstar, top 10 player in the league only to get shot down again and again.

But then again I guess I've gotten used to it. Being a Nets fan means you cant expect anything until it happens. We cant act like Knicks fans or Lakers fans who just go wild and EXPECT the star player to eventually come (because they usually get what they want).

I guess all I can say is brighter days are ahead of us but I feel like we hear that more and more to the point where I don't believe in brighter days anymore.

Nets fan 93 03-22-2012 12:27 PM

Yesterdays loss to the wizards felt like rock bottom. Deron is beyond frustrated. The team plays no D. Injuries have plagued all season and Dwight wasted not only his own time staying another year but the nets time. It's a Shame. Getting sweeped in the first round while putting up monster stats shoulda been the last straw for him. Life as a nets fan......

gigantes 03-23-2012 11:09 PM

good to know i'm not alone. living in the cleveland suburbs right now, i don't exactly rub elbows with even the occasional nets fan on the street.

at this point my optimism for the nets is like this--

when you play in the most cutting-edge sports facility in the biggest sports town in the nation you will get an advantage in opportunities. then it all comes down to the owner and GM. if we have the right ones then the nets will be a force in the NBA and inevitably a title-contender. and short-term we will be rubbing the dolan-owned knicks faces in it, for the limited satisfaction that's worth. it's just that the future was supposed to be NOW, and in reality it's not going to be for a couple more years. ugghhh.

so i guess for the time being we should all have a 'secondary team'. who is yours?

personally i'll go with kidd and carter in dallas, even as they teeter on retirement. but i also have huge respect for dirk and carlisle, so it's an easy choice. and mark cuban can be an ass, but has slowly won me over- he does put his money where his mouth is and does as much for his employees as anyone else out there. also, he's learned the power of being able to STFU. :lol

Nets fan 93 03-25-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
good to know i'm not alone. living in the cleveland suburbs right now, i don't exactly rub elbows with even the occasional nets fan on the street.

at this point my optimism for the nets is like this--

when you play in the most cutting-edge sports facility in the biggest sports town in the nation you will get an advantage in opportunities. then it all comes down to the owner and GM. if we have the right ones then the nets will be a force in the NBA and inevitably a title-contender. and short-term we will be rubbing the dolan-owned knicks faces in it, for the limited satisfaction that's worth. it's just that the future was supposed to be NOW, and in reality it's not going to be for a couple more years. ugghhh.

so i guess for the time being we should all have a 'secondary team'. who is yours?

personally i'll go with kidd and carter in dallas, even as they teeter on retirement. but i also have huge respect for dirk and carlisle, so it's an easy choice. and mark cuban can be an ass, but has slowly won me over- he does put his money where his mouth is and does as much for his employees as anyone else out there. also, he's learned the power of being able to STFU. :lol

After what cuban said about Brooklyn... His team can eat dirt. I hope they bounce in the first round. I am yet to decide on a team for the playoffs. I was rooting for Kidd to get a ring last year. I do want to see LeBron win. His haters are obnoxious. It's tough coz I also do not like all the heat bandwagons. So idk. Regular season is Nets no matter what though.

MTing 03-26-2012 02:21 AM

I'm rooting for Dallas and OKC in the west, Bulls and Sixers in the east.

Dallas because of Vince and Kidd. Especially Vince. Hes my all time favorite player so I really want him to get his ring.

OKC because well they're probably gonna be coming out the west and I want them to upset the Heat.

Bulls because I want them to beat the Heat.:lebron:

And Philly because I respect them a lot. They've proven in a superstar teams league that you dont need a superstar to win. Also respect Doug Collins a lot and love what hes done with that team.

gigantes 03-26-2012 03:29 AM

whoa, what did cuban say about brooklyn?

MT, i must have forgotten that carter was your man. that's cool. were you around when recspecs was constantly bitching about his lack of effort? that got a bit tiresome. :lol

i like your sixers pick for the reasons you stated. i also lean towards them because they're my hometown team.

overall, the heat winning seems pretty inevitable. i'm still annoyed with lebron for the many things he's said and done, but i try not to be obnoxious about it. :D but if they do win, i hope bosh gets some credit for being an underrated part of the big three. at the same time i would feel kind of sorry for lebron if the heat failed to win this year. it would likely release so much ridicule and backlash that it would probably cause him to be all that much more of a headcase.

dwight OTOH has no good reason to be the headcase that he is. i would certainly not mind if the magic got humiliated in the first round...

MTing 03-26-2012 03:42 AM

:oldlol: Vintage RecSpecs = hating on Vince.

And yeah my gut feeling is the Heat are gonna win. I cant see anyone stopping them in a 7 games series, they're just to deadly. Though we did say this last year and Dirk and the Mavs came in and shocked a lot of people. Will that happen again? I can't see it. Hope I'm wrong. If the Heat lose again this year I would think Heat management would get a little sweaty.

Agree on the Magic. I want them to get humiliated the first round again just like last year. Anyone remember Jameer Nelson telling D-Rose "I'll catch you in the second round" after a game in the regular season? And they end up getting manhandled by the Hawks:lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJK4FnW-hI

Nets fan 93 03-26-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTing
:oldlol: Vintage RecSpecs = hating on Vince.

And yeah my gut feeling is the Heat are gonna win. I cant see anyone stopping them in a 7 games series, they're just to deadly. Though we did say this last year and Dirk and the Mavs came in and shocked a lot of people. Will that happen again? I can't see it. Hope I'm wrong. If the Heat lose again this year I would think Heat management would get a little sweaty.

Agree on the Magic. I want them to get humiliated the first round again just like last year. Anyone remember Jameer Nelson telling D-Rose "I'll catch you in the second round" after a game in the regular season? And they end up getting manhandled by the Hawks:lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJK4FnW-hI

:roll: :roll: :roll: That's a great video.

@ gigantes-
Quote:

Mark Cuban, one of the world's richest men and owner of the defending Dallas Mavericks, seems to be obsessed with the Big Russian. When asked before the Mavericks-Knicks game what he thought of the Nets plans for Brooklyn (which he supported as a member of the NBA Board of Governors) he told reporters the following, as tweeted by Al Iannazzone.

'I hope the stadium works, I hope they do a great job and I hope the team sucks.' said the always quotable Cuban.

Why might he feel this way about the Nets? Billionaire jealousy (Mikhail Prokhorov has about ten times the Cuban fortune)? Or it his fear that the Nets will hurt his chances of building his next championship around a new big three (Dirk Nowitzki, Deron Williams and Dwight Howard)?; or perhaps he just enjoys being a jerk.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/2/19/2...-the-nets-suck

gigantes 03-27-2012 02:10 AM

ah, thanks for that. was that you saying you were infuriated in the comments? :D

i have to agree with some that cuban probably just meant "sucks" in regard to the dwight-deron situation. probably no real ill-will there...

It's A VC3!!! 03-27-2012 12:34 PM

Fortunately there are a lot of teams worse then us. Atleast we've had top stars like LeBron and Dwight want to play here. Nobody wants to play with the Bucks or Bobcats.:oldlol: The interest will definitely increase as we move to Brooklyn. What's depressing is the players that the Nets could have almost had. Most recently Dwight Howard. The Nets are getting the reputation as the team who fails to secure top players.:facepalm Although Wallace has really only had one game that impressed me, he can be a semi good peice moving foward. It will be more depressing if Dwill leaves because it might cause a domino effect forcing Wallace to leave as well. We will head into Brooklyn worse then the Bobcats.:( Hopefully this summer we can make another trade for a good player.

Nets fan 93 03-27-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
ah, thanks for that. was that you saying you were infuriated in the comments? :D

i have to agree with some that cuban probably just meant "sucks" in regard to the dwight-deron situation. probably no real ill-will there...

Ha! I wish. I have probably commented there like 3 times since they went to SB. So probably not. It probably was about Deron/Dwight but I still don't like him.:D

gigantes 03-28-2012 02:15 AM

yea, that's understandable. he's been an ass so many times that i've lost count. :lol

well, hopefully among us few remaining nets fans, one of our alternate choices will win the trophy this year. we can have a thread about that later, maybe. our alternate teams so far:

dallas
OKC
san antonio
chicago
philly
miami

i'm throwing san antonio in there because i've always been a duncan and pop fan, and a fan of older players getting it done. i might have thrown the lakers in there in past years, but without phil jackson i just can't. also, no way in hell do i want kobe to equal the number of rings that jordan obtained. kobe is an amazing player, no doubt, but he still pulls the AI / carmelo anthony routine far too often and that bothers me a lot. i think that if his fanboys really want to call him the next jordan then he should have learned to be the team player that jordan became by his fifth year. instead he's still fighting for shots with bynum and gasol at age 33 with creaky knees. :facepalm

it's a VC3- you didn't give your picks.