Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Troy Aikman says Tony Romo was better than he ever was (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256753)

StateOfMind12 03-21-2012 07:38 PM

Troy Aikman says Tony Romo was better than he ever was

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ter-than-i-was
Quote:

Troy Aikman, who has long been one of Tony Romo's strongest supporters, took his raving about Romo to a different level Tuesday.

Aikman compared Romo favorably to a first-ballot Hall of Famer: himself.

"I think Tony already is a better quarterback than I was," Aikman told the Brownsville Herald while in the South Texas town Tuesday for a Wingstop publicity event. "I know how quarterbacks are judged, but as far as his play-making ability and the things that he is capable of doing, he is a far more athletic quarterback, capable of making more plays than I ever was able to."

As Aikman alluded, quarterbacks are judged by winning, especially in the playoffs. Romo (.610) actually has a slightly better regular-season winning percentage than Aikman (.570), but they’re in different stratospheres as far as playoff success goes. Romo has a 1-3 postseason record; Aikman owns three Super Bowl rings and an 11-5 postseason record.

Romo’s individual stats are much more impressive than Aikman’s, which can be partially attributed to the NFL becoming a progressively more passing-friendly league.

Romo has a career passer rating of 96.9, which ranks second in NFL history behind Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers. He’s thrown for 20,834 yards and 149 touchdowns in the equivalent of about five full seasons as a starter, putting him on pace to shatter Aikman’s franchise records (32,942 yards and 165 touchdowns).

But Romo will never be considered in the class of Aikman and Roger Staubach unless the Cowboys win a title during his tenure.

"He has a good team around him," Aikman said. "Hopefully -- and I believe this will happen -- I believe that he will win a Super Bowl before he is done playing."

-p.tiddy- 03-21-2012 08:28 PM

Re: Troy Aikman says Tony Romo was better than he ever was

I saw a debate on another site comparing Romo to Elway.

It was actually interesting given that the common fan would laugh at the comparison...but it was more about how QB skill has progressed.

Romo's worst statistical year is like Elways best year ever...Romo completely owns Elway stat wise...but no one would dare say he is better.

Real Men Wear Green 03-21-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I saw a debate on another site comparing Romo to Elway.

It was actually interesting given that the common fan would laugh at the comparison...but it was more about how QB skill has progressed.

Romo's worst statistical year is like Elways best year ever...Romo completely owns Elway stat wise...but no one would dare say he is better.

The way the game has changed the modern QBs and receivers all have bigger stats than their counterparts from earlier eras. Something like 5 QBs threw for or were close to 5,000 yards. Do all of them belong in the top 10 all-time?

ballinhun8 03-21-2012 09:34 PM

So Aikman is saying he wouldn't even be a top 10 QB in the league?

-p.tiddy- 03-21-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The way the game has changed the modern QBs and receivers all have bigger stats than their counterparts from earlier eras. Something like 5 QBs threw for or were close to 5,000 yards. Do all of them belong in the top 10 all-time?

Of coarse not...but they are all likely better passers than Unitas ever was

The basis of the Romo vs. Elway debate I read was that the talent level has increased along with the game changing.

Is He Ill 03-21-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballinhun8
So Aikman is saying he wouldn't even be a top 10 QB in the league?

As a Cowboys fan, I would have to say that he probably wouldn't be. The game has evolved a lot. I don't think that the Quarterback had as much of an impact back then as the position does today.

Romo is a good QB and he has shown a lot of growth over the years. I think the whole choking thing is blown way out of proportion and I have seen him win many games for our team in clutch moments.

Carbine 03-21-2012 10:52 PM

You are nuts if you don't think Aikmen wouldn't be a top 10 quarterback in the league. He was a number 1 overall pick for a reason - he was very talented both physically and mentally.

His accuracy would still be just as good as it was back then.

niko 03-22-2012 07:32 AM

Romo is not better than Aikman nor is he better than Elway. Stats are inflated now, Eli had one of the top passing seasons ever for a QB this year. EVER. Have i once ever suggested he is an all time great top ten QB? I could right, because "the stats this year" back it up?

:coleman: Romo is better than Elway?

I wish i was a Cowboy fan, you don't even need to win to get props.

knickballer 03-22-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Romo is not better than Aikman nor is he better than Elway. Stats are inflated now, Eli had one of the top passing seasons ever for a QB this year. EVER. Have i once ever suggested he is an all time great top ten QB? I could right, because "the stats this year" back it up?

:coleman: Romo is better than Elway?

I would say Eli is an all-time great..

-p.tiddy- 03-22-2012 11:23 AM

PRIME Aikman would be top-5 today...no question

-p.tiddy- 03-22-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko

1. team sport
2. NO ONE is giving Romo props...guy is hated by so many, even many Cowboy fans...all because the TEAM sucks
3. you abuse the coleman emoticon lol

niko 03-22-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
I would say Eli is an all-time great..

great but not top 10 type, and not Aikman level (not yet). And definitely not Elway. But stats this year kill those guys.

Carbine 03-22-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
1. team sport
2. NO ONE is giving Romo props...guy is hated by so many, even many Cowboy fans...all because the TEAM sucks
3. you abuse the coleman emoticon lol

I get the feeling that you are saying Romo's failures and lack of team success if a direct result of the team around him, like he's surrounded by a bunch of nobodies.

....and that it's not really his fault, he doesn't have the team around him.

You're forgetting he has played pretty bad in the big games himself, not like he's out there throwing up 300 yards and 3 touchdowns and the rest of his team can't get it done.

He has consistently played poor in the big games. There is a connection between that fact and the reason they aren't winning those big games.

:confusedshrug:

-p.tiddy- 03-22-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbine
I get the feeling that you are saying Romo's failures and lack of team success if a direct result of the team around him, like he's surrounded by a bunch of nobodies.

....and that it's not really his fault, he doesn't have the team around him.

You're forgetting he has played pretty bad in the big games himself, not like he's out there throwing up 300 yards and 3 touchdowns and the rest of his team can't get it done.

He has consistently played poor in the big games. There is a connection between that fact and the reason they aren't winning those big games.

:confusedshrug:

well THIS year it was the D

SOME of it is him but not even close to what most people think...

his numbers are poor against the Vikes game cause he was on his ass the entire game...anyone that watched that game knows it wasn't Romo

he muffed a snap against the Seahawks...meh

the Giants game he did throw a costly pick, but also had many WR drops similar to what Rodgers had happen this year.

the average fan believes that Romo is an INT machine...he has very few INTs this year.

-p.tiddy- 03-22-2012 01:07 PM

hell the average fan thinks it is 100% Romo

the only QB stat the average fan sees is W/L...which is a team stat