Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anthony Davis named AP college player of year (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257903)

insidehoops 03-31-2012 02:16 PM

Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

The Kansas City Star reports:

In the storied history of Kentucky basketball, no player had ever been considered the nationís best in that season.

Until now.

Freshman Anthony Davis continued his run of national player of the year awards by accepting the Associated Press honor on Friday.

He beat Kansasí Thomas Robinson for the honor. Davis received 43 votes, Robinson 20 and Michigan Stateís Draymond Green two. The voting occurred before the NCAA Tournament began.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9571#ixzz1qivA8xlg

Maniak 03-31-2012 02:26 PM

Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

No surprise here.

ILLsmak 04-02-2012 10:18 AM

Does this dude have superstar potential? People are like CONSENSUS NUMBER 1 PICK. I think he balls but I think it's possible he could just be a talented starter.

I kind of feel if he doesn't get a super wet Chris Bosh/KG jumper he'll never be an all star.

-Smak

PP34Deuce 04-02-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Does this dude have superstar potential? People are like CONSENSUS NUMBER 1 PICK. I think he balls but I think it's possible he could just be a talented starter.

I kind of feel if he doesn't get a super wet Chris Bosh/KG jumper he'll never be an all star.

-Smak

He dribbled and beat the press against louisville, his form on his jumper is good. The guy hasn't shown everything he's capable of. He's going to be better the Bosh based on the fact that his ball IQ and anticipation skills are better. I also think he's a better passer right now.

Goliath Uterus 04-02-2012 10:39 AM

I thought it should've been T-Rob.... He shouldered the offensive load, AD had much more help. Don't get me wrong though, Davis is a freak.

GOBB 04-02-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
I thought it should've been T-Rob.... He shouldered the offensive load, AD had much more help. Don't get me wrong though, Davis is a freak.

More help? No one helped Davis dominate college bball

Goliath Uterus 04-02-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
More help? No one helped Davis dominate college bball

You're kidding right? He had plenty of help, that team is completely stacked. Fact is, you take AD off UK, they're still title contenders, take T-Rob off KU, and they're finishing 3rd in the Big 12.

Robinson is a better scorer, has much better post moves, he's a stronger presence down low, a better mid range shooter, a better rebounder, better passer, more experienced, more clutch.... AD is a better shot blocker and on ball defender tho, I'll give him that.

DeuceWallaces 04-02-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

You're kidding right? He had plenty of help, that team is completely stacked. Fact is, you take AD off UK, they're still title contenders, take T-Rob off KU, and they're finishing 3rd in the Big 12.

Robinson is a better scorer, has much better post moves, he's a stronger presence down low, a better mid range shooter, a better rebounder, better passer, more experienced, more clutch.... AD is a better shot blocker and on ball defender tho, I'll give him that.

Lol, nice Avy.

KG215 04-02-2012 01:19 PM

Agree with Goliath. Can't believe Davis swept all the NPOY honors. Not saying it should have been Robinson hands down, but I personally felt Robinson deserved to win at least one or two NPOY awards. He carried a mediocre Kansas team all year. Davis, while dominant, was on a loaded team with three or four other future first round draft picks.

ILLsmak 04-02-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
He dribbled and beat the press against louisville, his form on his jumper is good. The guy hasn't shown everything he's capable of. He's going to be better the Bosh based on the fact that his ball IQ and anticipation skills are better. I also think he's a better passer right now.

I dunno man... Chris Bosh is a high level talent. Even though he's garbage haha. I don't think he will be anything like Bosh. No way could he put up 24 ppg imo.

And maybe even not 20. But in terms of defense, Anthony Davis is way better. I wonder if Davis won't end up being like Anthony Randolph.

-Smak

DMizzle 04-02-2012 11:50 PM

Can somebody convince me that Davis will be a star in the NBA? He is great at blocks and rebounding, but this is the college level. And with his frame I don't think he will survive at all against the bigs of the NBA. I see him becoming a player like Marcus Camby, long and tall with a defensive scare in the paint.

PP34Deuce 04-03-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMizzle
Can somebody convince me that Davis will be a star in the NBA? He is great at blocks and rebounding, but this is the college level. And with his frame I don't think he will survive at all against the bigs of the NBA. I see him becoming a player like Marcus Camby, long and tall with a defensive scare in the paint.

Better offensive talent than Marcus Camby...Hes a prospect similar to KG. He may not be the post player offensively KG is but he's very versatile.

JMT 04-03-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
Better offensive talent than Marcus Camby...Hes a prospect similar to KG. He may not be the post player offensively KG is but he's very versatile.

KG had an extremely limited offensive skill set coming into the league. I think they're a good comparison: Garnett with no college, but several years of being "The Big Man"; Davis with a year of college competition, but only two years removed from being 6'2".

The kid has a nice stroke on his mid-range jumper. He rarely takes it; not his job on this team. But his base is nice and balanced, he's got a good follow through. He'll be able to shoot. He has a FAR better handle than KG had at the same age.

I expect people to be shocked at Davis' production on the offensive end in a year or two. He'll be a VERY good pro, and I would not be a bit surprised to see Garnett as his upside.

JMT 04-03-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

The first three things you mention are all the same: he's a better interior scorer. As for the mid-range jumper, I've heard people talk about it but haven't seen enough of it to be impressed.

Rebounding, passing are very debatable. And clearly, what Davis can do on the defensive end is special and far beyond any impact Robinson has on that end of the floor.

kileer7 04-03-2012 10:54 AM

He's a monster. I guess LeBron and D-12 would have been like that in college. Anyway, that's beside the point, in my opinion he deserved it and @ laugh at having a jumper like Bosh.