Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Song of Ice and Fire Novels (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261053)

Anti Hero 04-26-2012 04:21 PM

A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

I figured there should be some kind of separation for the tv series and the novels.

There are a great many things I would like to see what those of you who have read think about.

AA/TPTWP? Who is he or she?

Aegon: real or fake?

Dany's house of undying visions

and a bunch of other things..

I read on the Westeros forums a little bit but I want to see what my fellow ISHiots have to say about many of these..

looking at you Rezz

ZeN 04-26-2012 05:57 PM

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire Novels

Im currently reading A Dance With Dragons about half way done.. Too much meandering around for my taste but im hoping it leads to a potentially good cliff hanger (as some have said it does).

Im not really looking for the novels to be plot driven or action filled but some progressive movement would be appreciated. There seems to be a lot of mundane things being explained or people staying in the same position or situation for a extended amount of time. ADWD is not bad like AFFC but it does take its lovely time getting points across.

Anti Hero 04-26-2012 06:03 PM

I like the chapters with Jon Connington in ADWD. Jon has some good chapters too, especially towards the end when he starts gearing up for battle. You're not quite there yet so I won't get into detail.

Connington though, that looks like it will add a fresh new role in the series. A new foe for everyone, maybe Dorne becomes interesting with this..

I really want to go back and re-read this series. There are a bunch of clues and foreshadowing that I missed that others pointed out to me. I just don't know if I will get to it anytime soon.

Thorpesaurous 04-26-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I like the chapters with Jon Connington in ADWD. Jon has some good chapters too, especially towards the end when he starts gearing up for battle. You're not quite there yet so I won't get into detail.

Connington though, that looks like it will add a fresh new role in the series. A new foe for everyone, maybe Dorne becomes interesting with this..

I really want to go back and re-read this series. There are a bunch of clues and foreshadowing that I missed that others pointed out to me. I just don't know if I will get to it anytime soon.

I too have seriously considered re-reading them. I don't think I've ever devoured that many pages that quickly. The seperate perspectives per chapter trick gave it a great pacing. It makes it a little tricky to get into, but for me the first season of the show did that for me. And then once I read book one, every chapter felt like I was only 9 pages away from getting back into something I wanted to know about. It's like a whole series of teasers.

But yeah, re reading that much material is a daunting task.

As anyone who's read the books, the real question is who are Jon's Parents.

FatComputerNerd 04-26-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I too have seriously considered re-reading them. I don't think I've ever devoured that many pages that quickly. The seperate perspectives per chapter trick gave it a great pacing. It makes it a little tricky to get into, but for me the first season of the show did that for me. And then once I read book one, every chapter felt like I was only 9 pages away from getting back into something I wanted to know about. It's like a whole series of teasers.

We still don't know for sure as of the end of book 5, but general consensus on fan sites seems to be that R+L=J

Thorpesaurous 04-26-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
We still don't know for sure as of the end of book 5, but general consensus on fan sites seems to be that R+L=J

The R being Rh T, not RB. Although you can make some case for both, I agree with the first.

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:04 PM

AA/TPTWP? Who is he or she? some people think it's Jon Snow, but I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest so.

Aegon: real or fake? I think he's fake

haven't the visions been accurate for the most part?

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:10 PM

the main theory that I do believe is RT + LS = JS. Howland Reed was there and will reveal all. if you read all the books, the ONLY person who has something bad to say about RT is robert baratheon. everyone else respected and loved RT. By all accounts, he was an honorable man. I don't think LS was kidnapped and raped. I think they were in love and produced JS. when LS said "promise me, Ned" it was to protect and raise her son, not asking ned for revenge or anything like that. Ned has to hide Jon's parentage from robert since Jon would be a danger to him.

remember how honorable Ned is? he would NEVER have a bastard son while off to war. He is Jon's uncle, not father. also, Ed has said that Jon is of his blood, but has never said Jon is his son.

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

I have read the entire series 3 times so far. I always re-read it before a new book comes out.

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/...Snows_parents/

Anti Hero 04-26-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezznor
AA/TPTWP? Who is he or she? some people think it's Jon Snow, but I haven't seen enough evidence to suggest so.

Aegon: real or fake? I think he's fake

haven't the visions been accurate for the most part?

I think he's a blackfyre myself. The paper dragon from the visions

What is the stone beast from the visions.. and something about a burning tower. Some think it's a dragon from dragonstone. or something from the wall or winterfell.. I think the stone beast is Jon Connington (greyscale and griffon both could be the stone they are referring to and beast obviously the griffon) and the burning tower will be when they take storms end or something along those lines.

FatComputerNerd 04-26-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

The R being Rh T, not RB. Although you can make some case for both, I agree with the first.

Right, and I agree that a case could be made for the other as well. Fans seem to think the first though.

Anti Hero 04-26-2012 07:43 PM

Is there anything from the texts that give a RB + L = JS? Wasn't RB with Ned the whole time in the Vale? Is there anything about when RB would have been with L?

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

I think he's a blackfyre myself. The paper dragon from the visions

What is the stone beast from the visions.. and something about a burning tower. Some think it's a dragon from dragonstone. or something from the wall or winterfell.. I think the stone beast is Jon Connington (greyscale and griffon both could be the stone they are referring to and beast obviously the griffon) and the burning tower will be when they take storms end or something along those lines.

agreed.

i don't think the stone beast is an actual dragon. it's just a metaphor for something/someone

rezznor 04-26-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Is there anything from the texts that give a RB + L = JS? Wasn't RB with Ned the whole time in the Vale? Is there anything about when RB would have been with L?

Quote:

Robert Baratheon: Robert appears to have been with Eddard in the Vale when the war began (I: 21), and then went from the Vale to Storm’s End—probably by sea—which would have taken time. Certainly, two months into the war he was either on his way to Storm’s End or in its vicinity, and by four months into the war he was likely fighting his way across the Seven Kingdoms towards the riverlands. It should also be noted that Robert clearly believes Jon is Eddard Stark’s bastard son

but there's just way more evidence pointing at RT + LS