Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tayshaun Prince wants a veteran PG (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261462)

insidehoops 04-29-2012 06:07 AM

Tayshaun Prince wants a veteran PG

"Brandon Knight is our starting point guard and will continue to be, but hopefully we can get a veteran point guard to kind of mentor him a little bit," Prince said. "There can be times that me and Ben Wallace can mentor and help him out and whatnot, but I think if you have a point guard that's been through the wars, he can help him out a little bit better than we can."

It remains to be seen if Wallace will return for his 17th season, but Prince's assessment makes sense for the roster.

-- Detroit Free Press

dd24 04-30-2012 12:38 PM

Re: Tayshaun Prince wants a veteran PG

I think that's a vet looking out for other vets. I think PG is the least of our worries right now. Stuckey has been here long enough that he should be a leader and mentor. Funny thing is Kyrie Irving doesn't seem to need one....

Aussie Dunker 04-30-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I think that's a vet looking out for other vets. I think PG is the least of our worries right now. Stuckey has been here long enough that he should be a leader and mentor. Funny thing is Kyrie Irving doesn't seem to need one....

Irving was the #1 pick, best player in the draft, why should Knight live up to the expectations placed upon Irving :confusedshrug:

Knight and the Pistons would hugely benfit from having a vet point guard to mentor him through his first few seasons. Wish Lindsey Hunter was about 4 years younger because he would be perfect...

dd24 05-01-2012 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
Irving was the #1 pick, best player in the draft, why should Knight live up to the expectations placed upon Irving :confusedshrug:

Knight and the Pistons would hugely benfit from having a vet point guard to mentor him through his first few seasons. Wish Lindsey Hunter was about 4 years younger because he would be perfect...

Why not? Why would Knight not want to be a better PG than Irving? He played well against him this season. There's plenty of PG's that don't have vets with them. Tay and Wallace are vets. They provide leadership. I think what would have been a benefit to him was going to summer league and having a training camp.

embersyc 05-03-2012 02:44 PM

Billups is a free agent.

dd24 05-03-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersyc
Billups is a free agent.

I'd love to see him retire a Piston, but I would think after how burned he felt when he was traded he probably would never think about coming back to Detroit. He probably doesn't want to move again. I could see him staying in LA or if he goes somewhere it would be a contender.

SourPatchKids 05-05-2012 12:27 AM

Can't blame him.

dd24 05-05-2012 04:27 PM

The more I think about this, I think there's something deeper to what he's saying. We all see the Pistons not playing the young guys as much as they should. What that means is they don't get a top 5 draft pick. They're typically a little farther down. While we've been successful with our last few drafts, it's not like we're getting the top tier players either. It's pretty obvious Detroit isn't going to be good for a while. I think Tay sees that too. I think he's probably sick of losing after having so much success before. He probably wants to play for a winner. I'm not saying he's asking out of Detroit, but I would be he'd rather be with a team that's contending right now.

ZMonkey11 05-22-2012 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Why not? Why would Knight not want to be a better PG than Irving? He played well against him this season. There's plenty of PG's that don't have vets with them. Tay and Wallace are vets. They provide leadership. I think what would have been a benefit to him was going to summer league and having a training camp.

I don't think it's a question of motivation and wanting to be better. I think he's saying it's unfair to compare him to the #1 pick in the draft that eventually became the ROY. Irving has so many more tools, hence his draft spot. Of course he's going to have more success.

I'd love to see a veteran coach show Knight the ropes.