Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chicago Bulls Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Watson sucks. The Bulls really need a better point guard to fill in for Rose. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262967)

Upgrayedd 05-10-2012 09:29 PM

Watson sucks. The Bulls really need a better point guard to fill in for Rose.

Watson's only good as a back up playing back up minutes. There's no way he can start next season while Rose is out.

dak121 05-10-2012 09:48 PM

Re: Watson sucks. The Bulls really need a better point guard to fill in for Rose.

Don't worry.

He (and Boozer) will not be back.

ljsbb27 05-10-2012 09:53 PM

Re: Watson sucks. The Bulls really need a better point guard to fill in for Rose.

Bring back Kirk Hinrich

Tenchi Ryu 05-10-2012 10:30 PM

Hinrich and Lucas ALL the way. Watson was terrible ALL post-season. Literally, EVERYONE stepped up at least once this series except him. Even BOOZER had 2 good games. Watson has got to go.

Crystallas 05-10-2012 11:22 PM

Bah, quit hating on Watson. He needs this off-season to get healthy.

The guy played through bookoo injuries that effected his shot and movement. $3.7m for someone as good as Watson is not something to complain about.

We still need to improve to fill in for Rose. But getting rid of CJ isn't the best idea, instead put CJ back onto the benchmob, and bring someone else in.

Tenchi Ryu 05-10-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas

The guy played through bookoo injuries that effected his shot and movement. $3.7m for someone as good as Watson is not something to complain about.

We still need to improve to fill in for Rose. But getting rid of CJ isn't the best idea, instead put CJ back onto the benchmob, and bring someone else in.

Deng played through injuries too, and I bet even Gibson was still in some pain. What made Watson look bad wasn't just him not shooting, he didn't play very smart the entire series. Drained too much time off the clock, chucked his ass off, failed to feed the hot hand, and was responsible for Jrue having such good games.

But this isn't just a overreaction, I've noticed things all season about Watson. He was VERY 3 happy, and took way more perimeter shots for my taste. Luckily for him in the regular season, they were falling. But as we know, shit changes in the playoffs. He was guarded more heavily, and cut off from good 3 point shots.

Lucas looked much better than Watson, and even Lucas wasn't all that. Lucas was so-so on getting his shot, but he did a better job at facilitating. Looking at the situation we're gonna be in, Hinrich would be just as good as a Watson resigning, maybe even better.

Crystallas 05-10-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu
Deng played through injuries too, and I bet even Gibson was still in some pain. What made Watson look bad wasn't just him not shooting, he didn't play very smart the entire series. Drained too much time off the clock, chucked his ass off, failed to feed the hot hand, and was responsible for Jrue having such good games.

But this isn't just a overreaction, I've noticed things all season about Watson. He was VERY 3 happy, and took way more perimeter shots for my taste. Luckily for him in the regular season, they were falling. But as we know, shit changes in the playoffs. He was guarded more heavily, and cut off from good 3 point shots.

Lucas looked much better than Watson, and even Lucas wasn't all that. Lucas was so-so on getting his shot, but he did a better job at facilitating. Looking at the situation we're gonna be in, Hinrich would be just as good as a Watson resigning, maybe even better.

You're comparing our backup PG that makes 3.7m to our all-star that makes 14m? On top of that, may I remind you that Deng's injury had far less effect than Watson's injury. Players don't play with shoulder injuries and hyper extended elbows in the NBA, but that torn ligament is a common injury that players have played through, because it's a clean injury. Apples and oranges.

And Lucas is a streak shooter. He isn't a point guard. He dribbles the damn air out of the ball. I like little johnny, but come on.

Tenchi Ryu 05-11-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

You're comparing our backup PG that makes 3.7m to our all-star that makes 14m? On top of that, may I remind you that Deng's injury had far less effect than Watson's injury. Players don't play with shoulder injuries and hyper extended elbows in the NBA, but that torn ligament is a common injury that players have played through, because it's a clean injury. Apples and oranges.

And Lucas is a streak shooter. He isn't a point guard. He dribbles the damn air out of the ball. I like little johnny, but come on.

Like I said though, injury wasn't the issue, it was just not playing smart. That same 5 foot 11 streaker shooter who normally dribbles air out the ball actually was doing what Watson failed to do all series, feed the hot hand. Certain people would get hot, and while Watson wouldn't notice it, Lucas did and would attempt to get the ball to them. Lucas was constantly feeding Gibson, Boozer, Deng and Noah.

But with Watson, he was very narrow minded. Deng barely got touches when Watson was playing cause watson never fed him. Boozer would pretty much be the only person that would get the ball, then he'd have to facilitate from inside out, especially when Noah went out.

The reason I'm upset is cause the one thing I thought would be Watson's downfall this postseason was. His hail mary's stoppped falling, didn't attempt to drive the ball in the paint at all, and didn't do a good job getting teammates involved. Being ineffective from injury is one thing, but Watson has been on somewhat of a downward spiral for a while now. And when he originally got injured, he started shooting jumpshots more which is understandable.

But once he showed signs of being healthy again, he stopped doing the one thing that made him very effective for this team, his ability to be a D.Rose lite and penetrate in a similar fashion as Rose. He fell in love with the 3 ball, and it burned him.

Upgrayedd 05-11-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Come on man. Watson sucks. He was exposed in the playoffs. Like I said Watson is good when he's a backup point guard and only playing backup minutes. The Bulls will be terrible if he's their starting point guard next season while Rose is out.

Undisputed 05-11-2012 01:02 AM

This is what you would call an unfortunate season. Yeah the Bulls need that true #2 scorer that can fill it up still, but let's not jump on this guy and that guy. If the Bulls were 100% healthy going in and throughout the play-offs, we'd be serious contenders for a championship, if not favorites. 100% healthy never happened this season, it's just one of those years.

I'm glad this hell of a season is over, but it does suck to see no more Bulls after the first round.

trig 05-11-2012 05:46 AM

For what Watson brings to the table, $3m is good value.

Its hard to sign starter quality PG since he knows he'll be a backup once Drose comes back. The only one I can think of is Kirk with his chicago ties or maybe if we get lucky in the draft.

I don't know if we have a chance on guys like Andre Miller, nash etc

pegasus 05-11-2012 10:25 AM

I've never really liked Watson's game. To me, he is a SG trying to play as a PG who can't even create for himself, let alone for others.

Based on his regular season performance, I did think that he had improved some from last season, but he gave us nothing in six playoff games. It was atrocious to watch him try and fail at running our offense.

Lucas can't pass to save his life either, but at least he can get hot. He should have gotten more minutes. And I have no idea why Thibs didn't play Mike James. His experience alone could have helped.

I'd like to see Boozer, Watson, and Korver gone. I'm done with regular season players. We need guys who will step up in the playoffs.

dee-rose 05-11-2012 12:25 PM

A series like this makes everyone on the team look bad. We could go ahead and trade Cj, Korver, Boozer, Rip and Brewer or we could remember that shit happens and move on.

Do you guys remember what this place was like right after Rose got hurt? Now imagine that locker room. Not downplaying us as fans, but those guys know and love Rose. A lot of their future's ride on Rose. Sure, you can say that they could have come out and fought for him instead of play like their deflated, but the truth is everyone around the situation couldn't help but be deflating. Even Tom's been yelling less.

Just pick up the pieces, keep looking for another SG and don't do anything too drastic.

Go Getter 05-11-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee-rose
A series like this makes everyone on the team look bad. We could go ahead and trade Cj, Korver, Boozer, Rip and Brewer or we could remember that shit happens and move on.

Do you guys remember what this place was like right after Rose got hurt? Now imagine that locker room. Not downplaying us as fans, but those guys know and love Rose. A lot of their future's ride on Rose. Sure, you can say that they could have come out and fought for him instead of play like their deflated, but the truth is everyone around the situation couldn't help but be deflating. Even Tom's been yelling less.

Just pick up the pieces, keep looking for another SG and don't do anything too drastic.

This. Buying new players (considering our cap space and the ones available) won't get us a chip most likely. We need to hold fast until we see how Derrick comes back. Paying for a PG when we have no regular season issues at PG seems like a stretch.

People love to go overboard after a team get eliminated.

Rose 05-11-2012 01:08 PM

Also keep in mind we're probably not contending next year as it is. you come back from a torn ACL in 9 months. But most guys will tell you they feel better after about double that.

Factor in Deng's surgery...eh.:confusedshrug: