Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Marty Shottenheimer Coming Back (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26500)

qwerty 01-17-2007 06:01 PM

OT: Marty Shottenheimer Coming Back

On sportscenter

Real Men Wear Green 01-17-2007 06:08 PM

On the one hand, a 14-2 record says that the coach should be kept. On the other, he's possibly the worst postseason coach out there. If I was running SD I'd get rid of him as soon as a proven playoff winner came available, but there's no one fitting that description out there right now except for Cowher, who's taking a break.

NASH = BEST 01-17-2007 06:12 PM

I guess the Chargers dont care about ever going to the Super Bowl. He will just waste the talent he has just like he's done everywhere he's coached.

shafir 01-17-2007 06:14 PM

Id keep taking my chances with him, he did go 14-2, and there arent better coaches out there.

Jerz Netz 01-17-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafir
Id keep taking my chances with him, he did go 14-2, and there arent better coaches out there.

i dunno if he went 14-2 i think LT went 14-2:bowdown:

God of BasketBall 01-17-2007 08:13 PM

Firing a HC going 14-2 opens a can of worms. Its NOT done. Also tells HC canidates what they are in for so they might be discouraged by coming there. Anyone with a brain brings the HC back because not the bar has been set. 14-2, one of the best offenses in the game, first round bye and a 2nd round loss. Marty now has to top this seasons performance and if not THEN he is opened to be fired. SuperBowl or nothing. You dont put a new HC in that position having to follow up a season Marty had. Saves you from lookin like a moron. And this also gives you a chance to enter in the Cowher sweepstakes next year.

TEXAS BATMAN 01-17-2007 09:00 PM

I don't understand why everybody's so ready to burn Schottenheimer at the stake. The Merriman scandal had absolutely zero impact on his team, there were no locker room distractions, he has the team dancing to the beat of his drum, and he was NOT outcoached in the 2nd round. He actually did a great job. His team just improbably lost that game. He's the guy who brought Rivers along slowly even when fans were calling for Brees' head. And when he did insert Rivers there was a smooth transition.

Where's the blood? I see no lasting wounds on this team. They lost against a very battle tested team. They'll learn from it. Welcome back Marty Mar

XxNeXuSxX 01-17-2007 09:56 PM

They are better than the Patriots, and lost.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-17-2007 10:20 PM

Wheres Belichich going to go our how ever you spell his name.

Real Men Wear Green 01-20-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
Wheres Belicheck going to go

He'll be in Indy tomorrow, and Miami in a few weeks.

GOBB 01-20-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
I don't understand why everybody's so ready to burn Schottenheimer at the stake. The Merriman scandal had absolutely zero impact on his team, there were no locker room distractions, he has the team dancing to the beat of his drum, and he was NOT outcoached in the 2nd round. He actually did a great job. His team just improbably lost that game. He's the guy who brought Rivers along slowly even when fans were calling for Brees' head. And when he did insert Rivers there was a smooth transition.

Where's the blood? I see no lasting wounds on this team. They lost against a very battle tested team. They'll learn from it. Welcome back Marty Mar

His reputation as a postseason coach. Good-Great regular season, and lousy postseason. 14-2 and lost at home after coming off a bye. I can see WHY Marty critics want to burn him. But the thing i cant agree on with them is when to burn him. Just not now.

Marty is like 5-13, 5-14 in the postseason. 2nd worst playoff record for a coach.

Cool 01-20-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
He'll be in Indy tomorrow, and Miami in a few weeks.

So he is gonna fly all the way to MIAMI to congratulate Tony Dungy and the Colts for Representing the AFC CONFERENCE. What a nice guy he is.

geeWiz15 01-20-2007 04:00 PM

dirty dozen, naughty rotten rhymer
cursin at you players worse than marty schottenheimer