Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267069)

REACTION 06-10-2012 08:04 PM

Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
What I've seen Meyers Leonard so far has really impressed me.

Anyone else feel the same way?

chips93 06-10-2012 09:23 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
never seen him play, but sounds like his stock was really boosted over the combine

CelticBaller 06-10-2012 11:13 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Celtics need to get him

el gringos 06-11-2012 02:09 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
What? a good center draft year- this guy seems really mobile and potentially good. He and Zellers i think could go anywhere single dgits on to the 20's it seems. and Robert Sacre is going to be a really great pick for someone.

This is going to be a sweet draft to watch because so many players like Leonard, Zeller, Royce White, Wroten, Ross, Cunningham, even the gaurds Lillard/Marshall- Waiters/austin rivers. You really dont know if guys are going top 10 all the way into the 20s but there will be some suprises and alot of really good after lottery picks this year

IlliniFan 06-11-2012 11:43 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Been watching him since Illinois offered him way back when. He has grown so much as a player. His freshman year consisted of a couple dunks around the basket, and that was about it. His offensive game has really gown since. He has great athleticism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64KxaaQGqU

He seemingly learned how to block shots as well, though he could still improve there. His freshman year he would just swat down at everything. I think he does a lot better learning to stay tall and keep his hands up now.

One thing he needs work on is getting into his move once he gets the ball in the post and learning when to pass out and when not to. Sometimes he just holds and looks for a highlight pass for so long, he just gets ripped or doubled and turns it over. He's a good passer, just needs to recognize when he has to score and when to get rid of it. He needs to catch and go into his move quicker.

I think he could have been a lock to be a top 5 pick with one more season in college, but I definitely understand his decision to go.

InspiredLebowski 06-12-2012 04:36 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
I'm sure some Illini fans can (or maybe not) dispute what I saw, but Leonard gives me a ton of pause. The tools are immense, big, long, really athletic for his size. But I just couldn't get past his body language all year. I think it's pretty obvious there was a lot of problems in the program, from Weber on down through the locker room, but he just seemed to get down on himself so much. In that regard he honestly reminds me a lot of Roy Hibbert, he's not as sound fundamentally as Hibbert and is light years ahead athletically but it just scares me. Hibbert was about 6 weeks away from being a lost cause until Indy fired Jim O'Brien because Hibbert just couldn't take the verbal abuse.

Leonard's definitely one of the guys in this draft that has to land in the right spot. He's going to need time to develop w/o getting brow beaten after every screwup.

Thorpesaurous 06-12-2012 09:51 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
I think elite is pushing it, but I do really like him. He's obviously got plus plus athleticism, and as with a lot of guys, on a team that takes advantage of a big who can get end to end, and has a PG to feed him, he can be a real asset. In a grind out style of game I'm afraid he doesn't have the offensive polish on one end, and I'm afraid his frame isn't designed to hold up as an on ball defensive player.
At the very worst he could be a Chris Anderson type bench big who comes in and blocks some shots and fills lanes on an up tempo team.

Personally I like Zeller better because of his post polish. And Zeller, while not a great athlete, can really run and change ends himself.

IlliniFan 06-12-2012 09:01 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I think elite is pushing it, but I do really like him. He's obviously got plus plus athleticism, and as with a lot of guys, on a team that takes advantage of a big who can get end to end, and has a PG to feed him, he can be a real asset. In a grind out style of game I'm afraid he doesn't have the offensive polish on one end, and I'm afraid his frame isn't designed to hold up as an on ball defensive player.
At the very worst he could be a Chris Anderson type bench big who comes in and blocks some shots and fills lanes on an up tempo team.

Personally I like Zeller better because of his post polish. And Zeller, while not a great athlete, can really run and change ends himself.

I think with Zeller and Leonard it's a classic case of higher floor vs. higher ceiling, and we all know what type of player NBA teams like to take.

As far as offensive polish, he does have a ways to go, but he's taken leaps and bounds from his freshman year to his sophomore year, so I don't see why he couldn't have a pretty good post game in a couple years.

ILLsmak 06-13-2012 12:46 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
lol kids coming around on Leonard.

-Smak

Thorpesaurous 06-13-2012 09:39 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I think with Zeller and Leonard it's a classic case of higher floor vs. higher ceiling, and we all know what type of player NBA teams like to take.

As far as offensive polish, he does have a ways to go, but he's taken leaps and bounds from his freshman year to his sophomore year, so I don't see why he couldn't have a pretty good post game in a couple years.



Yeah, the Leonard / Zeller is a pretty good guage of how a team looks at a prospect. I've said the same about Perry Jones vs. Jared Sullinger. I feel like Sullinger is a way more sure thing, but Jones has a much higher cieling. It's just that Jones could also pretty quickly turn into Dante Green.

My fear with Leonard's development is mostly the frame. Sometimes I feel like I can see if a guy's frame is gonna be able to fill out, and I worry that his won't without losing too much athleticism. I think it's because he's so narrow through the waist.

Goliath Uterus 06-13-2012 02:59 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Not elite, but I think he'll be a productive player.

jbot 06-13-2012 04:50 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
i hope he does well. he's from a really small town about 1 hour from me.

ILLsmak 06-13-2012 05:39 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Yeah, the Leonard / Zeller is a pretty good guage of how a team looks at a prospect. I've said the same about Perry Jones vs. Jared Sullinger. I feel like Sullinger is a way more sure thing, but Jones has a much higher cieling. It's just that Jones could also pretty quickly turn into Dante Green.

My fear with Leonard's development is mostly the frame. Sometimes I feel like I can see if a guy's frame is gonna be able to fill out, and I worry that his won't without losing too much athleticism. I think it's because he's so narrow through the waist.


What?



How much more frame does he need? People are talking about his strength. I remember reading on a draft scouting report that he would need to add 5 pounds in order to compete. I was like FIVE POUNDS? I think Meyers is pretty much good size-wise now. He just needs to get meaner.

They are projecting him to be picked by the Bucks. Imagine him with BJ and Ellis. Look at how small Biedrens is but he does work. I think Leonard has a much larger frame than Andris.

-Smak

Thorpesaurous 06-13-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLsmak
What?



How much more frame does he need? People are talking about his strength. I remember reading on a draft scouting report that he would need to add 5 pounds in order to compete. I was like FIVE POUNDS? I think Meyers is pretty much good size-wise now. He just needs to get meaner.

They are projecting him to be picked by the Bucks. Imagine him with BJ and Ellis. Look at how small Biedrens is but he does work. I think Leonard has a much larger frame than Andris.

-Smak



He's muscled, but he's narrow. Like in the waist and through his core. It's not a bad thing, it just changes how I feel like he'll be able to add weight moving forward.
It's also one of the things that bothers me about the Brow. It's not that he's skinny, it seems like he's naturally skinny. As if adding the weight won't fit him naturally.

Zeller on the other hand is a legit 7 feet and 250 lbs and looks like he can carry it.

ILLsmak 06-14-2012 12:40 AM

Re: Meyers Leonard will be an elite bigman in the NBA
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
He's muscled, but he's narrow. Like in the waist and through his core. It's not a bad thing, it just changes how I feel like he'll be able to add weight moving forward.
It's also one of the things that bothers me about the Brow. It's not that he's skinny, it seems like he's naturally skinny. As if adding the weight won't fit him naturally.

Zeller on the other hand is a legit 7 feet and 250 lbs and looks like he can carry it.


He hit the bench 19 times at the combine. That's pretty good for a college guy.

Meyers is also 250 ... and 5.7% body fat.

-Smak


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy