Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267656)

knickscity 06-16-2012 08:33 AM

Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...rk-knicks-team

Phil Jackson says he wouldn't have wanted to coach the New York Knicks -- even if the team asked.

"I wasn't gonna take that job; that's for sure," he told HBO's "Real Sports" in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night.

Jackson -- who won 11 championships as coach of the Bulls and Lakers -- said Knicks owner James Dolan never called him about the job.

Jackson, 66, was a member of two Knicks championship teams and said he has thought about coaching in New York, but wouldn't want to lead the current team because it's "clumsy."

"They don't fit together well. (Amare) Stoudemire doesn't fit well with Carmelo (Anthony)," said Jackson, when asked to expand on "clumsy." "Stoudemire's a really good player. But he's gotta play in a certain system and a way.

"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands. They need to have someone come in that can kinda blend that group together."

Jackson, who retired after the 2010-11 season, was heavily rumored to be a candidate for the position before the Knicks eventually removed Mike Woodson's interim tag and give him a multiyear contract in late May.

Jackson said the Knicks and Orlando Magic openings this offseason were not the positions to bring him back to the bench.

He says he wasn't interested in Orlando because it's too far from his Montana home.

Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

knickscity 06-16-2012 08:34 AM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Now we can officially lay this puppy to bed.

Too much would have had to happen for Phil to come, and fully admits he isn't up for the task.

Rameek 06-16-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
I have no issues with what he said. I think its a legit concern.

franchize 06-16-2012 09:25 PM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Sounds like he's saying "I'm glad you didnt ask because I would have said no anyway" because he was surprised he didnt get a chance to turn everyone down and have ppl beg him. Im have no problems with us not calling him. The fact that he said a team isnt close to his Montana home says it all. He doesnt have it in him. Nothing is near his Montana home. Probably not even Walmart or 7-11, and them bitches are everywhere lol

Rameek 06-17-2012 03:16 AM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
Sounds like he's saying "I'm glad you didnt ask because I would have said no anyway" because he was surprised he didnt get a chance to turn everyone down and have ppl beg him. Im have no problems with us not calling him. The fact that he said a team isnt close to his Montana home says it all. He doesnt have it in him. Nothing is near his Montana home. Probably not even Walmart or 7-11, and them bitches are everywhere lol


I heard this all day on sports radio... I do believe he's an attention whore but this is an 11 time NBA championship coach. Do you really think he's that petty or sensitive? That would mean the Knicks position is something that he really did consider and was offended...

Its possible but I cant fathom a guy that has coached MJ Pippen, Kobe Shaq for 11 championships could be so childish or even think the Knick job is anything significant in the grand scheme of things.

Did I mention that we are assuming he got emotional over not being asked to coach Melo Stat Chandler at MSG after coaching HALL OF FAMERS Air Jordan, Pippen, Black Mamba, Shaq to 11 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!

:biggums: :banana:

franchize 06-17-2012 09:40 AM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
I heard this all day on sports radio... I do believe he's an attention whore but this is an 11 time NBA championship coach. Do you really think he's that petty or sensitive? That would mean the Knicks position is something that he really did consider and was offended...

Its possible but I cant fathom a guy that has coached MJ Pippen, Kobe Shaq for 11 championships could be so childish or even think the Knick job is anything significant in the grand scheme of things.

Did I mention that we are assuming he got emotional over not being asked to coach Melo Stat Chandler at MSG after coaching HALL OF FAMERS Air Jordan, Pippen, Black Mamba, Shaq to 11 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!

:biggums: :banana:

Actually, I think its all of those accolades that allow him to be so cocky. Either way, as Knickscity said, Im glad this has been put to bed. Dantoni got Dolans endorsement even in our roughest of times. If Woodys our guy, he should at least get a year without havong to look over his shoulder. Its only fair.

Sarcastic 06-17-2012 02:00 PM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Bill Simmons:

"I know for a fact that Phil Jackson wants to coach again. (How do you know that?) Because I talk to people who know things. I know for a fact that he wanted that Knicks job. I know for a fact that Jim Dolan didn't want any part of Phil Jackson, because Jim Dolan doesn't like people who think they're smarter than him. Jim Dolan has a whole weird inferiority complex. Phil Jackson is way too smart and there was no way he [Dolan] was ever going to deal with that guy, so he hired Mike Woodson"

Draz 06-20-2012 10:21 PM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
"so he hired mike Woodson" lol

bluechox2 06-21-2012 01:06 AM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
our team is ****ed

Jasi 06-22-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Phil Jackson would not coach "clumsy" Knicks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity


"Carmelo has to be a better passer. And the ball can't stop every time it hits his hands."


Said the guy who coached Kobe to multiple championships


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy