Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Your favorite console of all time (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269031)

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 03:59 AM

Your favorite console of all time

Give a reason as well.

For me it's the Dreamcast hands down. Ahead of it's time and superior to competition but failed due to marketing in comparison to Sony. Some epic games, my favorite controller ever, unique memory unit with games, reliable. I'm about to buy another one so it got me thinking. I'll give my top 5 console list in case people give a damn.

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. N64
3. PS2
4. Super Nintendo
5. Sega Genesis

El Kabong 06-27-2012 04:25 AM

Re: Your favorite console of all time

Tie between the original Nintendo since it was my first console and the Playstation 1 since it was a huge leap forward (at the time) in videogames for me. So many cool games too, FFVII, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tony Hawks, Driver, GTA, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve. I could go on and on.

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Tie between the original Nintendo since it was my first console and the Playstation 1 since it was a huge leap forward (at the time) in videogames for me. So many cool games too, FFVII, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tony Hawks, Driver, GTA, Silent Hill, Parasite Eve. I could go on and on.

Don't forget Twisted Metal.

KG215 06-27-2012 04:53 AM

While a regular Nintendo was my first gaming system, I'd say Super Nintendo mostly for biased reasons. But man did that have a lot of great games and I got a lot of mileage out of it, too. I went from that to a Playstation which felt like an enormous leap forward in everything, but a lot of my best gaming memories still lie with my Super Nintendo days.

UtahJazzFan88 06-27-2012 05:47 AM

Nintendo Entertainment System or the pioneer of modern console gaming, PS2.

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
While a regular Nintendo was my first gaming system, I'd say Super Nintendo mostly for biased reasons. But man did that have a lot of great games and I got a lot of mileage out of it, too. I went from that to a Playstation which felt like an enormous leap forward in everything, but a lot of my best gaming memories still lie with my Super Nintendo days.

Super Nintendo is definitely top 3 for me. Much like you I have a lot of great memories with that console. Zelda and Mario games especially with a couple others sprinkled in like Duck Hunter with the gun LOL.

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Nintendo Entertainment System or the pioneer of modern console gaming, PS2.

Which Ironically Dreamcast was the better system (better graphics on most games, more unique features, half the price) but agree due to the length of time it was at the top, how many competitors it destroyed in sales and longevity it was the pioneer of modern gaming. In just two years in America Dreamcast made at least 15 classic games which is a great rate. If it got 10 years like the PS2 can't imagine how far it could have went. It's one of gaming's biggest tragedies honestly. Sony crushed everybody...

Here are the exact side by side specs of the actual hardware.

Dreamcast: 128-bit, 200 MHz main processor, with 16 megs of system RAM, 8 megs of dedicated video RAM and 2 megs of audio RAM.

PS2: 128-bit, 294 MHz main processor, with 32 megs of system RAM and 4 megs of video RAM.

So you see they are comparable. More video RAM for Dreamcast, more system RAM for PS2 which at that level really doesn't make a difference. Just like the PS3 did vs 360... Sony once again claimed 5 times the polygons yet it translated to nothing. PS3 graphics can be matched by 360 despite that and Dreamcast usually won graphics comparisons to PS2 in reviews.

Anyways I digress... I don't want us to debate really, just curious to see what you guys have at the top of your list. If people feel compelled you can even give a top 3 or a top 5.

TheMarkMadsen 06-27-2012 01:56 PM

Dreamcast was so far ahead of its time, there are still new dreamcast games coming out to this day.

I love the old school video games, I've still got my sega genesis, n64, ps1 laying around. All of which support some amazing games, soul cal, killer instinct 64, tekken 3 etc.

But let's be real, when it comes down to it the best consoles of all time IMO are either xbox 360 or ps3.

Nothing compares, each systems has classic games, most of which were built up through previous consoles, and now have all been either perfected or the closest thing we're going to see in terms of gameplay, graphics etc.

Think about gta on ps1 & then pop in gta iv on the xbox & tell me which one you're going to play.

RaininTwos 06-27-2012 02:50 PM

The one that came out on 9/9/99

The console had everything I needed to be honest. I was a huge SEGA fan boy, huge sonic fan so playing Sonic Adventure gave me first orgasm, then I am one the few who knows about soulblade, so Soul Caliber was heaven for me as well. Their sports games were the most innovative ever, NBA and NFL 2k were unparalleled. They brought in a new era.

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaininTwos
The one that came out on 9/9/99

The console had everything I needed to be honest. I was a huge SEGA fan boy, huge sonic fan so playing Sonic Adventure gave me first orgasm, then I am one the few who knows about soulblade, so Soul Caliber was heaven for me as well. Their sports games were the most innovative ever, NBA and NFL 2k were unparalleled. They brought in a new era.

:cheers: my man. I LOVED Sega growing up. The systems always seemed to be superior to Nintendo/Sony products IMO. I loved the Genesis and Saturn too honestly.

NFL 2K, NBA 2K, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic, Phantasy Star, Le Mans Racing, Grandia, Metro Street Racer, Ray Man, Ecco, Soul Reaver, Soul Caliber, Jet Grind, Marvel VS Capcom, Code Veronica, Tony Hawk. Then all of the unique, creative style games like Seaman, Sambia etc. When I think of Dreamcast I think of the most unique lot of games ever. So many unique and interesting ideas, party games etc. It's like the epitome of versatile. If they had survived the Sony war I think they could have made SO MANY epic and unique games.

Some of best RPG's ever too. PS3 has been out so much longer than Dreamcast was in USA yet in those 2 years Dreamcast produced more quality RPG's than PS3 has. Which sucks because I love RPG.

Jailblazers7 06-27-2012 03:46 PM

Either N64 or XBOX 360.

Clippersfan86 06-27-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Either N64 or XBOX 360.

N64 is my number 2 :cheers: . Mario Kart, Mario 3D, 007, Kobe Bryant Courtside FTW!!!

jaydacris 06-28-2012 01:30 AM

best time with friends with a console, no doubt n64

mario kart, smash bros, golden eye, wcw revenge, wrestlemania 2k, no mercy

god damn, so many wasted hours. so much trash talk, and many times shiet escalated beyond fun and games :lol

step_back 06-28-2012 07:06 AM

Dreamcast

I was in awe when I first played Shenmue and Sega Bass Fishing was one of the most fun addicting games I ever played.

N64

Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. What more can I say. Best multiplayer experience I've ever had.

PS2/Xbox

Wasn't much seperating these two for me. PS2 had Metal Gear Xbox had Halo.

Not sure why but something is lost on this generation of consoles. Too many games rely on online multiplayer. Gaming is not as fun as it once was.

Skywalker 06-28-2012 12:22 PM

N64. Not close either. That's when video games were the most fun.