Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raps Rescind offer to Bayless (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270291)

RaininThrees 07-06-2012 04:16 PM

Raps Rescind offer to Bayless

Quote:

RT @ESPNSteinLine: Raps G Jerryd Bayless is now unrestricted free agent, agent Jeff Schwartz tells ESPN. Raps have pulled qualifying offer to make Bayless UFA

Enjoy your free market, Jerryd.

Qwyjibo 07-06-2012 04:19 PM

Re: Raps Rescind offer to Bayless

That's too bad. I was hoping he'd be back as a backup PG/SG type playing around 20-25 minutes per game. He has value as that kind of a player.

I'd certainly rather have Bayless on the team than Landry Fields or Sonny Weems (is that QO still on the table?).

T-Low 07-06-2012 04:36 PM

It was the only way to have the Lowry deal go through....They have to do something with caldy to get a good SF ....

Beebo 07-06-2012 04:41 PM

Jose is here forever..

Molson 07-06-2012 04:56 PM

Too bad. I liked Bayless. Good guy to give you backup PG and some SG minutes. Also the kind of guy who get hot on a dime and pull the team out of a few scrapes. He also really liked living here and a happy player makes a better player.

This is the probably an unfortunate fallout of the Fields signing.

So I have a question: The QO was 4.3M for a year i believe (correct me if I'm wrong). Could the Raps technically now sign Bayless to a 3yr/9M type deal as a FA?

I wish we could somehow wrangle Tony Wroten from Memphis.

Skywalker 07-06-2012 05:24 PM

Surely we're not keeping Calderon lmao, GOD.

Legends66NBA7 07-06-2012 05:26 PM

I didn't like Bayless all that much, but rather would have kept him instead of keeping Calderon's big contract.

bokes15 07-06-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
I didn't like Bayless all that much, but rather would have kept him instead of keeping Calderon's big contract.

Totally agree. I was not nearly as high on Bayless as some others here were but i'd rather have Bayless at 4 mill than Calderon. Wouldn't have minded giving the dude some burn since we're gonna suck anyways and then make a run at a top pick for next years draft.

bluerap 07-06-2012 07:07 PM

This doesn't mean the raps won't resign bayless.

Their concern was that he would accept the qualifying offer for 4.3 when they can get him for a lot cheaper. They could probably get him for 2 years at about 4.

I still think there is a good chance he is our back up next year.

I just wish they could rescind their offer to fields.

Toni 07-06-2012 07:19 PM

It was to complete the Lowry trade;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsworld
While the Raptors committed salaries for next season place them approximately $17 million under the salary cap, the team has salary cap holds in excess of that space. However, by renouncing their rights to all of their free agents except Jerryd Bayless and Sonny Weems, the Raptors can complete the trade for Lowry now. If Bayless is re-signed at a number close to his qualifying offer before the offer sheet to Fields is issued, the Raptors should not have to complete any further moves to accommodate both transactions.

bluerap 07-06-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni
It was to complete the Lowry trade;

Don't see how it has anything to do with lowry.

We have 7 million trade exception from Barbosa deal.
Maybe more to do with fields who is signing for more than the mid-level.

Dr.Funk 07-07-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap
Don't see how it has anything to do with lowry.

We have 7 million trade exception from Barbosa deal.
Maybe more to do with fields who is signing for more than the mid-level.

We are under the cap so we don't have the mid level.

FCardelle 07-07-2012 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Calderon's contract is signed and has to be paid. Bayless is a free agent.

GoRapz 07-07-2012 04:50 AM

Weems over Bayless? Just goes to show you how the market looks like for Bayless out there. Weems hasn't been in the NBA for a year and he's drawing more attention

bluerap 07-07-2012 09:16 AM

weems' qualifying offer is a lot less than bayless.