Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post your Goals for the Summer (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271286)

C_lake2802 07-14-2012 01:26 AM

Post your Goals for the Summer

Sometimes its good to see your goals written down...so im going to Just post a couple of my main goals that i want to attain by summer end which will be hard cuz im juggling a Job and child... But anyways

Goal #1: Work on left hand dribble. I can dribble with both hands just fine. But i tend to always favor my right in-game. And i notice people are giving me left even though im left handed. Need to make people fear me going both sides.

Goal #2: Work on efficiency/communication- getting crispier with my passes not taking forced 3's along with communicating on and off the ball is something i really need to work on

Goal #3- 2 hand dunk. This more than likely won't happen this summer because i've noticed getting vert up takes a lot more time than you usually think it should. But i'm Going to start back up. My 4 day workout 2 days rest 1 jump training routine i usually do. So this means going hard in the gym with plyo's and deadlift and making the most of my limited time.

Post some of your basketball goals for summer 12' :rockon:

MetsPackers 07-14-2012 01:36 AM

Re: Post your Goals for the Summer

Pushxx 07-15-2012 12:02 AM

My goal is to improve my perimeter D. My defensive footwork sucks.

Jyap9675 07-15-2012 04:47 AM

goal is to:

get better at driving and absorbing contact.
left hand dribble + finish
get confident in getting past defenders and decrease reliance on picks

Lebron23 07-15-2012 12:15 PM

Win the Championship, and MVP Award.

Swaggin916 07-15-2012 06:44 PM

Just to start playing again. It's been over a year since I last played due to injuries and I thought I was on the right track getting my knee healthier (feels close to 100% now) and then my injured my hamstring. I have been rehabbing it for 2 months and it's really coming along... but damn man I haven't been healthy in almost 3 years and I am just dying to get back out there and play. It's liek a big void in my life and I miss ballin.

mobbdeep 07-15-2012 09:04 PM

My goal is to NOT GET INJURED. lol. Don't care bout Wins and Losses in pick up games. I'm just trying to have fun and not get hurt and come home unscathed.

Some guys get so physical and have no skills it pisses me off. Just goons.

I got a great jump shot now, got the most range in my gym, I can post up whenever I want to since I'm taller than most of the guys, and I guess my 1 on 1 defense could use some work but my team defense is great.

Right now I am working on a floater. I gassed out my last game and was scared n timid to shoot the mid range J because it was a tie game and all and I was afraid I would miss due to having no legs.

So I decided to work on a jump floater. I'm excited to try this in my next run.

C_lake2802 07-16-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Just to start playing again. It's been over a year since I last played due to injuries and I thought I was on the right track getting my knee healthier (feels close to 100% now) and then my injured my hamstring. I have been rehabbing it for 2 months and it's really coming along... but damn man I haven't been healthy in almost 3 years and I am just dying to get back out there and play. It's liek a big void in my life and I miss ballin.

I feel ur pain bro. I was out for half a year myself at one point and it was killin me jus to get out there and get a run in. I just injured my ankle BAD couple days ago. So it looks like imma be out for a month. But keep pushin, your gonna appreciate it even more when your out there healthy again good luck 2u

Rake2204 07-16-2012 10:24 AM

Since I don't play for a real team these days, I've got weird goals perhaps based upon matters that could be deemed superficial:

1. I want to be able to complete a self-bounce-to-two-hand-reverse dunk with emphasis. I accidentally discovered I might be able to do this dunk while trying a routine one-hander. I can make the reverse, it's just not strong at this point. That'd really step up my vanilla dunking repertoire.

2. Again, this sounds ridiculous, but I actually decided to finally settle down and figure out the steps and motions to the Shammgod dribble maneuver. I want to fully incorporate that into my game. So far, I've been able to sneak it in at a couple of occasions pretty seamlessly. It didn't result in any ankle breakers or anything, but it worked as an elusive maneuver. Here's Danilo pulling it off in summer league: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxvM8HT6KU

3. Further off than the Shammgod, I've been working on the Kobe reverse pivot jumpshot after a pumpfake at the free throw line. In all honesty, throwing the ball off the backboard and making a layup after that sort of pivot almost feels more natural than shooting. Either way, I've yet to pull this pivot off in a game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvg9NgP5uw

4. I'd also like to begin utilizing a left-to-right fallaway. I'm much more proficient falling away going from right to left, and my fallaway form greatly differs depending upon which direction I'm going. Therefore, I'd like to bring the other direction up to speed.

C_lake2802 07-16-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
Since I don't play for a real team these days, I've got weird goals perhaps based upon matters that could be deemed superficial:

1. I want to be able to complete a self-bounce-to-two-hand-reverse dunk with emphasis. I accidentally discovered I might be able to do this dunk while trying a routine one-hander. I can make the reverse, it's just not strong at this point. That'd really step up my vanilla dunking repertoire.

2. Again, this sounds ridiculous, but I actually decided to finally settle down and figure out the steps and motions to the Shammgod dribble maneuver. I want to fully incorporate that into my game. So far, I've been able to sneak it in at a couple of occasions pretty seamlessly. It didn't result in any ankle breakers or anything, but it worked as an elusive maneuver. Here's Danilo pulling it off in summer league: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGxvM8HT6KU

3. Further off than the Shammgod, I've been working on the Kobe reverse pivot jumpshot after a pumpfake at the free throw line. In all honesty, throwing the ball off the backboard and making a layup after that sort of pivot almost feels more natural than shooting. Either way, I've yet to pull this pivot off in a game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqvg9NgP5uw

4. I'd also like to begin utilizing a left-to-right fallaway. I'm much more proficient falling away going from right to left, and my fallaway form greatly differs depending upon which direction I'm going. Therefore, I'd like to bring the other direction up to speed.

1. How tall are you Rake??

2. The Shammgod for its very effective for me when you don't over-emphasized the move. Plenty of times guys try it on me and i can just tell when the move it because of how hard the try to sell it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ROpDutT2E 0:37 mark. This to me is the perfect way to do it.

Pushxx 07-17-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C_lake2802
2. The Shammgod for its very effective for me when you don't over-emphasized the move. Plenty of times guys try it on me and i can just tell when the move it because of how hard the try to sell it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ROpDutT2E 0:37 mark. This to me is the perfect way to do it.

Great example of it. It's much better when you are already driving. From the standstill dribble it's worthless unless you are an elite ballhandler.

I've used it on the break as I get to the 3-PT line and I have my defender backing up. I'm driving hard left , my defender is already slightly opened up, Shammgod across his left front foot, finish at the rim with my right. It works purely because your defender isn't expecting it. If you are doing it on the move, it's a lot easier to get your defender to bite at all.

Rake2204 07-17-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C_lake2802
1. How tall are you Rake??

1. I'm 6'3''. To be clear, I still think I have a bit of work to do before I can pull that dunk off and make it look neat. It's quite rough right now.

2. I'm in agreement with you on that one and I think that's what I've been trying to avoid. I pulled it off against unfamiliar competition a few weeks ago in nearly the exact set of circumstances Pushxx mentioned (on the move, approaching the 3pt. line, left to right) and it came across as a normal move, as opposed to some kind of drawn out show maneuver. I kind of liked the results I experienced there.

On the flip side, I was playing one-on-one with my younger brother (real one-on-one, not goofing around) and when it came to game point, I decided to create some space then approach and attempt. The move had virtually no effect. So clearly, it's still a work in progress for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushxx
Great example of it. It's much better when you are already driving. From the standstill dribble it's worthless unless you are an elite ballhandler.

I've used it on the break as I get to the 3-PT line and I have my defender backing up. I'm driving hard left , my defender is already slightly opened up, Shammgod across his left front foot, finish at the rim with my right. It works purely because your defender isn't expecting it. If you are doing it on the move, it's a lot easier to get your defender to bite at all.

Totally with you there. The scenario you mentioned is exactly how I use it. I'm not much interested in the And1, gamebreaker form of the move. Rather, I think it can be used in a legit manner during a secondary fast break, as well as during other natural game moments.