Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Undisputed best pound for pound player? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272906)

BlueandGold 07-29-2012 04:08 AM

Undisputed best pound for pound player?

So the term may be a little foreign to NBA fans but it's widely used in the boxing realm and other sports.

Who is the best pound for pound player in your eyes?

IMO it's Iverson hands down. The NBA has him listed at 6'0, which most likely means he's 5'11 or maybe even a bit shorter than that. Even Isiah was listed at 6'1.

To do with he did given his short and skinny stature says a lot about his work ethic and determination. Also AI could probably go down as one of the most passionate players of all time as well. I remember seeing an interview with him and Stephen A. Doofus in which he randomly broke out into tears when they started talking about his relationship with Larry Brown (near 2008).

also could easily go down as the quickest PG ever, also multiple critics have stated he's also the "toughest pound for pound player of all time"

ripthekik 07-29-2012 04:19 AM

Re: Undisputed best pound for pound player?

Came in here expecting AI. Was not disappointed.

TerranOP 07-29-2012 04:23 AM

Probably still Jordan.

dunksby 07-29-2012 04:30 AM

Durant :D

Crimzon 07-29-2012 05:00 AM

Pound for Pound is based on weight, not height....

BoutPractice 07-29-2012 05:19 AM

Assuming the NBA version is based on height, the best "pound for pound" player in the league today would be Chris Paul, followed by Rajon Rondo.
Chris Paul has few weaknesses in his game aside from his height, he's an MVP caliber player most of his years in the league so far.

All time, I would say Tiny Archibald. Though I haven't seen much of him (except past his prime on the 1981 Celtics, though he was still very impressive), he averaged more than 30 points and 10 assists one season, was a 3 time All-NBA first teamer and twice was in the top 5 for MVP voting.
Other contenders would include Isiah Thomas, Allen Iverson, John Stockton and Bob Cousy.

NumberSix 07-29-2012 07:03 AM

I'm not sure how "pound for pound" is supposed to apply when basketball doesn't have weight classes in the first place. Derrick Rose plays in the same game that Andrew Bynum does.

Meticode 07-29-2012 09:26 AM

It's got to be Eddy Curry or Oliver Miller.

Coffee Black 07-29-2012 01:35 PM

Hate to sound like a hater or troll right now, but there is a reason why they have the pound for pound concept in sports like boxing or wrestling. It's because they have weight classes that isolating the top fighter in each division from competing against the other. Basketball doesn't. That's why Jordan is the best and would be the best no matter how you look at it.

O_City_Thunder 07-29-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimzon

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

:applause:

DaHeezy 07-29-2012 01:43 PM

Are we really gonna argue the definaition of pound for pound? We all understand the point OP is trying to make, let's not bust his balls about it and just engage in a cool topic

ralph_i_el 07-29-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimzon

AI weighed around 170 didnt he? that's pretty scrawny for an NBA player.

Coffee Black 07-29-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Are we really gonna argue the definaition of pound for pound? We all understand the point OP is trying to make, let's not bust his balls about it and just engage in a cool topic

Ya but I mean come on, if Jordan (from195-216 lbs) with out this "pound for pound" basis is already considered by most to be the best when in consideration with guys like Wilt(275 lbs), Shaq (>300 lbs), Barkley (250 lbs), etc., then if you consider size disparity he is still the best.

tmacattack33 07-29-2012 02:51 PM

I'd just do this by height if i had to do it.

That is more relevant (even tho it still doesn't really matter...if Isiah was a little taller, he coulda been better...but if Shaq was even faster, then he woulda been better too...or if Yao was actually agile, he coulda been a top ten GOAT).

Linspired 07-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
AI weighed around 170 didnt he? that's pretty scrawny for an NBA player.

jordan dominated the league at 195lb-215lb(peak) AI would have to be a 90lb wuss to match jordan's dominance pound for pound.