Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Jay-Z involvement with NBA 2K13 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273159)

insidehoops 08-01-2012 10:49 AM

Jay-Z involvement with NBA 2K13

2K Sports today announced an unprecedented partnership with entertainment mogul Shawn “JAY-Z” Carter to serve as Executive Producer of NBA 2K13, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10670

Rake2204 08-01-2012 11:31 AM

Re: Jay-Z involvement with NBA 2K13

I feel many folks will be delighted to have Jay-Z throwing together a soundtrack for this game, and I don't have an issue with that (though I'm not a Jay-Z fan). However, I'm at least a little weary of the hand he'll have in other facets of the game. I suppose there's a chance it could work out wonderfully, but it seems to have the makings of a gimmick. As long as 2K13 continues to strive to be the best basketball game possible and not Jay-Z's interpretation of what he thinks an NBA video game should be, it will be all good.

Rake2204 08-01-2012 11:33 AM

Separately, here's some tracks that will be featured on 2K13 (I don't think this is all of them):

The Hours: “All in the Jungle”
Too Short: "Blow the Whistle" (Main)
Eric B. and Rakim: “I Ain’t No Joke”
Phoenix: “1901”
Jay-Z: “Pump it Up” (Freestyle)
Puff Daddy and the Family: “Victory” (feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
Daft Punk: “Around the World" (Radio Edit)
Santigold: “Shove It” (feat. Spank Rock)
Kanye West: “Amazing”
Jay-Z: “Run This Town”
The Dirty Projectors: “Stillness in the Move”
Nas: “The World is Yours”
Coldplay: “Viva La Vida”
Roy Ayers: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
Justice: “Stress”
Jay-Z: “The Bounce”
Kanye West: “We Major” (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
Mobb Deep: “Shook Ones, Pt. II”
Meek Mill: “Ima Boss” (Instrumental)
Kanye West: “Mercy” (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
U2: “Elevation”
Jay-Z: “On to the Next One”
Jay-Z: “Public Service Announcement”
Jay-Z: “H.A.M.” (Instrumental)

I understand this will be received well by many. And while I do like some of the songs (Shook Ones), I'm just not particularly fond of games using old songs everyone's already heard time and time again.

Al Thornton 08-01-2012 05:01 PM

jeff this news is old but your posts says "announced today"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
I feel many folks will be delighted to have Jay-Z throwing together a soundtrack for this game, and I don't have an issue with that (though I'm not a Jay-Z fan). However, I'm at least a little weary of the hand he'll have in other facets of the game. I suppose there's a chance it could work out wonderfully, but it seems to have the makings of a gimmick. As long as 2K13 continues to strive to be the best basketball game possible and not Jay-Z's interpretation of what he thinks an NBA video game should be, it will be all good.

he won't have any other part involvement the game.

Rake2204 08-02-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Thornton
jeff this news is old but your posts says "announced today"

he won't have any other part involvement the game.

A trailer leaked on Monday, but the news of Jay-Z executive producing 2K13 was in fact not officially announced until Tuesday, July 31, so he was correct in stating "announced today".

Further, it's been stated Jay-Z will in fact contribute more to 2K13 than just the soundtrack. As news continues to leak out, it seems any impact he has will be largely focused on off-the-court dimensions of the game. From a CNN article today:

Quote:

The megastar, whose real name is Shawn Carter, has been focusing his efforts on the game's presentation and entertainment elements away from the ball -- the music, crowd reactions and interactive in-game menus. He is part owner of the Brooklyn Nets, so his involvement is one that is personally appealing, he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/tech/g...k13/index.html

KDTrey5 08-03-2012 03:20 AM

the sound track is better than 2k12s atleast

kNicKz 08-03-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDTrey5
the sound track is better than 2k12s atleast

2k12 soundtrack is WEAK

KDTrey5 08-03-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kNicKz
2k12 soundtrack is WEAK

thas wat im sayin

ukballer 08-03-2012 06:05 PM

Being a hip-hop fan, I know I'm biased, but I was kinda sad when the 2K soundtracks of the last few games moved away from being pretty much an all hip-hop soundtrack. 2K7 soundtrack was a personal favourite. I used to be on the 2K Beats section of the site all the time!

'Some' decent songs in the 2K12 soundtrack, but some of the songs were just ASS.

So as a biased hip-hop fan, and a Jay-Z fan? I'm hyped. :lol

But even so, looking at that soundtrack, they've still thrown in a few songs for the non hip-hop guys.

Rake2204 08-04-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukballer
Being a hip-hop fan, I know I'm biased, but I was kinda sad when the 2K soundtracks of the last few games moved away from being pretty much an all hip-hop soundtrack. 2K7 soundtrack was a personal favourite. I used to be on the 2K Beats section of the site all the time!

'Some' decent songs in the 2K12 soundtrack, but some of the songs were just ASS.

So as a biased hip-hop fan, and a Jay-Z fan? I'm hyped. :lol

But even so, looking at that soundtrack, they've still thrown in a few songs for the non hip-hop guys.

I'm not a big fan of games using songs that have been out for years and already played to death. In many cases, I've already grown tired of these tracks years ago, so I'm not too pumped about going through an entire year listening to them again (like Kurtis Blow's "Basketball"). I mean, I like Daft Punk and I like "Around the World" but even as a fan of the group, I'm not sure I want to be listening to a track on a brand new game that's been in my library for 15 years already. And in terms of U2's "Elevation" and Coldplay's "Viva La Vida", that's not 2K particularly appealing to non hip-hop fans. It's kind of like your grandparents hearing you liked hip-hop so they buy you a Kevin Federline CD and say, "He oughta like that because he likes hip-hop."

Granted, I wouldn't have minded a mix of new and old. I thought the inclusion of "Sirius" (Chicago Bulls theme) was a nice touch in 2K11. And I think "Shook Ones" would fit in anywhere. However, I'm a little bummed to be missing out on the fresh tracks from bands I'm not familiar with. There's a lot of songs I dislike on 2K12, but I like always being able to find a few I could hang my hat on then dig deeper into that artist's catalog. For instance, I was not familiar with the music of MF Doom, Little Brother, or Ratatat until I played 2K. So I'll definitely be missing the variance and discovery aspect 2K's soundtracks used to hold.

Mach_3 08-07-2012 12:50 AM

Tell Jigga to tell 2K to fix the damn gameplay elements first.

Better game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Better soundtrack :lol