Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Should I lift weights for legs? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273196)

LT Ice Cream 08-01-2012 08:25 PM

Should I lift weights for legs?

I have never really spent much time working out my legs, because I was always naturally quick and fast with excellent lateral movement. But just because I'm fast doesn't mean I'm strong. I still get backed down in the post easily and my vertical is decent but not great.

So what does IsH think? Is it important for a point guard like me to do a lot of leg workouts? Will it affect my quickness? What kind of workouts should I do? Heavy weight or more plyo kind of stuff? Is there an advantage to having bigger legs?

GOBB 08-01-2012 10:23 PM

Re: Should I lift weights for legs?

Yes

Burgz V2 08-01-2012 11:09 PM

yes but you should make sure you do core work as well to avoid imbalances

SourPatchKids 08-02-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Yes

Dang.. Borderline 50k

01amberfirewv 08-02-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
yes but you should make sure you do core work as well to avoid imbalances

Same for unilateral exercises. Lifting legs actually helps develop your upper body and keeps you from looking like

LT Ice Cream 08-02-2012 11:27 AM

Well I don't have access to a weight room. I've just been doing a lot of squats, lunges and calf raises with a heavy backpack on. Is this enough, or do I really need to pile on the heavy weights to make significant progress?

plowking 08-02-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Well I don't have access to a weight room. I've just been doing a lot of squats, lunges and calf raises with a heavy backpack on. Is this enough, or do I really need to pile on the heavy weights to make significant progress?

If there is one thing worse than ankle weights, I'd have to say its what you're doing at the moment. You never want a dragging weight on your back like a heavy backpack. Especially while doing explosive movements. Its going to play with your back.
If you were to do it with a backpack, you'd also want one at the front of equal weight, as stupid as it will look.

You're better off just getting a set of dumbells, about 22-25lbs and holding them while jumping. Jumping with 45lbs in your hands will help a lot.

LT Ice Cream 08-02-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plowking
If there is one thing worse than ankle weights, I'd have to say its what you're doing at the moment. You never want a dragging weight on your back like a heavy backpack. Especially while doing explosive movements. Its going to play with your back.
If you were to do it with a backpack, you'd also want one at the front of equal weight, as stupid as it will look.

You're better off just getting a set of dumbells, about 22-25lbs and holding them while jumping. Jumping with 45lbs in your hands will help a lot.

Thanks for catching me b4 I messed myself up :cheers:

JohnnySic 08-04-2012 07:04 AM

yes you should

JohnWall2 08-05-2012 04:28 AM

liftin always helps but 4 legs u gonna careful. if u do it too young u gonna stunt ur growth