Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Any Fans of The Wire? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273241)

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 10:33 AM

Any Fans of The Wire?
 
IMO this is in the running for best show ever. I still myself watching even after seeing every episode 454543 times :oldlol: The characters and writing were just amazing.

niko 08-02-2012 10:35 AM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Me, but i didn't like the last season. Thought the first four were great.

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 10:46 AM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Me, but i didn't like the last season. Thought the first four were great.



Season 5 came off as kind of rushed imo. I have a hard time ranking seasons 1,3, and 4 because they were all amazing.

Mr Know It All 08-02-2012 11:47 AM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
It's a great show, but some of the fans of it have really gotten aggressive in bashing any shows that are up to its level in greatness. For me, the pantheon of HBO shows are:

Oz
The Sopranos
Deadwood
The Wire

Game of Thrones has the chance to get into that pantheon, they just need about 2-3 more quality to really good seasons.

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Know It All
It's a great show, but some of the fans of it have really gotten aggressive in bashing any shows that are up to its level in greatness. For me, the pantheon of HBO shows are:

Oz
The Sopranos
Deadwood
The Wire

Game of Thrones has the chance to get into that pantheon, they just need about 2-3 more quality to really good seasons.



Oz and The Sopranos are really good. Never watched Deadwood, but heard good things. From a character standpoint, I think The Wire had the best cast. The Sopranos were great, but had too many pointless episodes/moments imo. Oz was really good. A little cartoonish at times, but it always kept your interest.

imdaman99 08-02-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
I almost cried when _ _ _ _ got got by Kenard. Most def seemed rushed

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 12:39 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
(spoiler)


I thought D'Angelo getting killed was more tragic, but it had to happen as sas it was. Really grew to like his character during the first two seasons. Wasn't a fan of Stanfield and his crew aside from Chris.

guy 08-02-2012 12:49 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
(spoiler)


I thought D'Angelo getting killed was more tragic, but it had to happen as sas it was. Really grew to like his character during the first two seasons. Wasn't a fan of Stanfield and his crew aside from Chris.


They do a great job of making you actually feel sympathetic toward some of these characters that have actually just flat out killed people. D'Angelo, Poot, and Bodie especially are like this.

I personally thought Marlo was awesome. My four favorite characters on the show were probably Stringer, Avon, Marlo, and Chris. Basically the 4 most evil characters in the show. I don't know, they just seemed the most interesting.

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by guy
They do a great job of making you actually feel sympathetic toward some of these characters that have actually just flat out killed people. D'Angelo, Poot, and Bodie especially are like this.

I personally thought Marlo was awesome. My four favorite characters on the show were probably Stringer, Avon, Marlo, and Chris. Basically the 4 most evil characters in the show. I don't know, they just seemed the most interesting.


Great list of characters. My favorite were:

1. Slim Charles- this guy flat out stole every scene he was in. Was able to bridge the gap between being a great mind (street-wise) and badass. Stringer and Avon could never balance the two imo.

2. Stringer Bell- The most interesting character on the show imo. Loved how he always took out anyone that even posed the smallest threat to him. Loved the scene where he confronts Avon after he questions his toughness.

3. D'Angelo Barksdale- Thought he came off as immature and soft the first few episodes. But you really start to like the guy firing the 1st season. The scene where he gets sentenced to 20 years in prison after eating the drug charge was very powerful. Especially when he gives Avon that "I got you, family" stare.

4. Proposition Joe-Like Slim, I felt he always stole every scene he was in. Had some of the best dialogue on the show.

SuperPippen 08-02-2012 01:16 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
There are A LOT of fans of The Wire out there, especially on the Internet. I take it you're not aware of the general consensus around the web that The Wire is the greatest thing that has ever been on TV?


Anyway, yea, it's a fantastic show. It remains the best television program that I have ever watched, as much as I like Breaking Bad and other shows.

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 01:19 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPippen
There are A LOT of fans of The Wire out there, especially on the Internet. I take it you're not aware of the general consensus around the web that The Wire is the greatest thing that has ever been on TV?


Anyway, yea, it's a fantastic show. It remains the best television program that I have ever watched, as much as I like Breaking Bad and other shows.


I knew there are a lot of fans, but have never really discussed it online. Just used to talking about mostly music and basketball when it comes to the forums :lol

SoCash 08-02-2012 01:21 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Re-watching the first season now, such an amazing show. One of the best scenes ever has to be the moment where Avon and Stringer are in Avon's penthouse looking over the city and they both know that they are gonna betray each other.

SuperPippen 08-02-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
I knew there are a lot of fans, but have never really discussed it online. Just used to talking about mostly music and basketball when it comes to the forums :lol


It's all good.

BTW, no love for Bodie or Omar on your favorite characters list? Omar is an obvious choice for best character, but over time Bodie really grew on me and eventually became my favorite character. He had such a fantastic story arc.

Other great chracters were Bubbles, Avon, the corner kids, etc. It's kind of shocking how many great characters this show had.

Bano114 08-02-2012 01:30 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Some of my favorite scenes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DOy4hCih7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrSy9r0-lMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBG7FR-pe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBG7FR-pe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn76iJ0DOpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP-lrftLQaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT-VOLVFzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWx9ni6dZE

Every Chris and Snoop scene was awesome.

SilkkTheShocker 08-02-2012 01:34 PM

Re: Any Fans of The Wire?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCash
Re-watching the first season now, such an amazing show. One of the best scenes ever has to be the moment where Avon and Stringer are in Avon's penthouse looking over the city and they both know that they are gonna betray each other.



Agreed. The double-betrayal was brilliant. I also loved when Slim Charles gives Avon the speech on how even if they are fighting on a lie, its too late to turn back. And Daniels telling off Burrell at the end of season 1.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy