Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How far is too far to micromanage? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273263)

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:09 PM

How far is too far to micromanage?
 
I was at my national business conference and the CEO of our company had implemented a new system to have our businesses run more efficiently. It intergrates everything including my outlook, client portfolios, and SQL reports that our front office runs all under one program. Great program and I definately am on board.

In order for us to minimize devices the CEO is buying all account managers new mobiles that are compatable with the new program. Great, free phone. One thing that was mentioned though was a GPS will be installed in each and every phone. It will track our day to day appointments.

Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?

Raz 08-02-2012 03:12 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?


I think it's dirty. Take that phone down to the closest Korean phone shop and have them disable that shit.

KevinNYC 08-02-2012 03:17 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
I was at my national business conference and the CEO of our company had implemented a new system to have our businesses run more efficiently. It intergrates everything including my outlook, client portfolios, and SQL reports that our front office runs all under one program. Great program and I definately am on board.

In order for us to minimize devices the CEO is buying all account managers new mobiles that are compatable with the new program. Great, free phone. One thing that was mentioned though was a GPS will be installed in each and every phone. It will track our day to day appointments.

Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?



I would definitely ask Human Resources, how this is intended to implemented because it does seem there is a potential for abuse. You also don't have too much leeway. Don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US an employer can monitor employees, use of "work computers and equipment."

Is most of your day appointment based? There can be valid reasons they are doing this, like they going to look at aggregate date and determine trends based on that. But they could just as easily track your hour to hour movements. Also are you expected to have these phones active when you're off work? Because that GPS isn't going to shut off.

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:18 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raz
I think it's dirty. Take that phone down to the closest Korean phone shop and have them disable that shit.


We haven't even decided on accepting the phones yet. There's still debate about which mobile would be the most efficient. But I'm all for a free phone.

But yeah it does seem dirty. Almost an invasion of privacy.

Godzuki 08-02-2012 03:19 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
I was at my national business conference and the CEO of our company had implemented a new system to have our businesses run more efficiently. It intergrates everything including my outlook, client portfolios, and SQL reports that our front office runs all under one program. Great program and I definately am on board.

In order for us to minimize devices the CEO is buying all account managers new mobiles that are compatable with the new program. Great, free phone. One thing that was mentioned though was a GPS will be installed in each and every phone. It will track our day to day appointments.

Is this right? I feel it's an invasion of privacy. I don't cheet on appointments but is it right for him to track our every moves?
Thoughts?


yeah if they're giving you the phone and not forcing you to install it on your phone its perfectly legit. a lot of companies put GPS in their drivers vehicles to track where they go, or how much time they spend at one place.

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:22 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I would definitely ask Human Resources, how this is intended to implemented because it does seem there is a potential for abuse. You also don't have too much leeway. Don't know how it is in Canada, but in the US an employer can monitor employees, use of "work computers and equipment."

Is most of your day appointment based? There can be valid reasons they are doing this, like they going to look at aggregate date and determine trends based on that. But they could just as easily track your hour to hour movements. Also are you expected to have these phones active when you're off work? Because that GPS isn't going to shut off.


Most of my day is appointment based. I work as a business consultant and work from home. My mobile doubles as my personal mobile as well so yes I have it on at all times.

This system we have already schedules our appointment to Outlook for review and after every appointment we are required to make reports detailing meetings. So tracking where we go wouldn't really add any additional input.

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:24 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzuki
yeah if they're giving you the phone and not forcing you to install it on your phone its perfectly legit. a lot of companies put GPS in their drivers vehicles to track where they go, or how much time they spend at one place.


Problem is that the GPS doesn't shut off. I really don't want to reveal what I do on my down time. I have nothing to hide, but I still feel invaded.

rufuspaul 08-02-2012 03:26 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Problem is that the GPS doesn't shut off. I really don't want to reveal what I do on my down time. I have nothing to hide, but I still feel invaded.



Are you required to have the company phone on you at all times?

Godzuki 08-02-2012 03:26 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHeezy
Problem is that the GPS doesn't shut off. I really don't want to reveal what I do on my down time. I have nothing to hide, but I still feel invaded.


but you don't have to use or take the company phone with you when you're not working, right?

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:29 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzuki
but you don't have to use or take the company phone with you when you're not working, right?


It doubles as my personal mobile. When I was contracted they took on my personal number. I have far too many business contacts to change that now.

Plus I always liked the tax write off :lol

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:29 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Are you required to have the company phone on you at all times?


It doubles as my personal. (see recent response)

Raz 08-02-2012 03:30 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Are you required to have the company phone on you at all times?


rufuspaul and Da Heezy friends at last! :cheers:

Two good posters, nice work making up guys

P.S. I really detest millwad, I hope he falls and gets impaled on an IKEA chair.

Myth 08-02-2012 03:31 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
If there is a way to only monitor the employees while they are at work, then I can see it fitting in the job description. If it is used at all regarding your personal life, that is just wrong, and should be a sue-able offense IMO for invasion of privacy. And even then, regarding the use at work, it certainly doesn't equate to trust in employees, so even though I think the employers have the right to use this technology at work, I don't know if it is the smart thing to do for all businesses. If you are uncomfortable with it, I'm guessing others are too.

Raz 08-02-2012 03:32 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Heezy, like one of the other posters said, you need to get right down to Human Resources. I worked in HR for a year, and if American law is anything like NZ law, that is a total privacy breach. Your employer has no business what you do in your spare time, or tracking you. It would be a real pain in the ass if you were lying for a sick day, but were really at an amusement park or beach

DaHeezy 08-02-2012 03:34 PM

Re: How far is too far to micromanage?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raz
rufuspaul and Da Heezy friends at last! :cheers:

Two good posters, nice work making up guys

P.S. I really detest millwad, I hope he falls and gets impaled on an IKEA chair.


:lol
Playing the mediator. I have no probs with the guy:cheers:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy