Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Free throw routine? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274207)

SourPatchKids 08-11-2012 05:10 AM

Free throw routine?

I rip off Kobe for 90% of mine. The ball at your side deep breath followed by wiping your hand across your jersey.

KDTrey5 08-11-2012 05:11 AM

Re: Free throw routine?

gilbert arenas!

plowking 08-11-2012 05:55 AM

I dunno who's mine emulates or looks like the most in the NBA, but I don't square my feet 100%. They are pointing slightly to the left so my right shoulder is a little closer to the ring.

I used to keep my eyes on the ring the whole time, but I've changed that now. The whole time I look down, and as I get into my motion to go up and release I look at the ring. I was reading studies somewhere and they said it was a better way of going about it. It has actually helped a lot, so I'd tend to agree with the study, no matter if it was bullshit or not, since it worked for me. Doing it this way has also made my free throws far softer for some reason, and I tend to get nicer bounces on the ring if it doesn't swish its way through.

Burgz V2 08-11-2012 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plowking
I dunno who's mine emulates or looks like the most in the NBA, but I don't square my feet 100%. They are pointing slightly to the left so my right shoulder is a little closer to the ring.

I used to keep my eyes on the ring the whole time, but I've changed that now. The whole time I look down, and as I get into my motion to go up and release I look at the ring. I was reading studies somewhere and they said it was a better way of going about it. It has actually helped a lot, so I'd tend to agree with the study, no matter if it was bullshit or not, since it worked for me. Doing it this way has also made my free throws far softer for some reason, and I tend to get nicer bounces on the ring if it doesn't swish its way through.

i was taught the same thing in HS, never look at the ball in flight always keep your eyes on the rim

i also always exhale before i shoot. I try not to be breathing WHILE im taking my shot. In close games and clutch situations this has proven to calm me down ALOT, im a pretty good ft shooter down the stretch because of it i think

KDTrey5 08-11-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i was taught the same thing in HS, never look at the ball in flight always keep your eyes on the rim

i also always exhale before i shoot. I try not to be breathing WHILE im taking my shot. In close games and clutch situations this has proven to calm me down ALOT, im a pretty good ft shooter down the stretch because of it i think

was never told any of that. just seemed like common sense. but its true, u can be so much worse if u dont do those :lol

Rake2204 08-11-2012 12:07 PM

In around sixth grade, at the University of Michigan Basketball Camp, they had a shot doctor come in and give a talk. One of his driving points was keeping a free throw routine as simple as possible. Contrary to many other players, he placed the nail perfectly in between his feet and did not stagger those feet. Then, three dribbles and rise. As a result, that's been my free throw routine ever since, and I've had excellent results, as I shot 87% from the stripe my junior year.

-Both feet up to the line
-Wide stance
-Body directly in middle of paint
-3 comfortable dribbles
-Fire

Burgz V2 08-11-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDTrey5
was never told any of that. just seemed like common sense. but its true, u can be so much worse if u dont do those :lol

yea I know man

you tend to tense up and hold your breath when you shot in pressure situations making you more likely to shoot it short

SourPatchKids 08-11-2012 04:08 PM

Another thing is that I'm extremely streaky when it comes to free throws. I can go 7-7 at the stripe one game and they feel like layups, but the next game I'll go 2-5. I know your supposed to shoot the exact same way every time but some days it just doesn't feel right. Maybe if I practice more the muscle memory will be stronger.

Burgz V2 08-11-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Another thing is that I'm extremely streaky when it comes to free throws. I can go 7-7 at the stripe one game and they feel like layups, but the next game I'll go 2-5. I know your supposed to shoot the exact same way every time but some days it just doesn't feel right. Maybe if I practice more the muscle memory will be stronger.

thats the whole point.

bballer 08-12-2012 09:08 PM

dribble
dribble
spin
dribble
shoot.

Pushxx 08-13-2012 01:26 AM

Three dribbles and a spin.

C_lake2802 08-13-2012 02:43 AM

Put shooting foot on nail. or middle One dribble shoot

bmd 08-18-2012 03:50 PM

I toe the line with my right foot then glance at the rim and take a deep breath then look back down. I place my left foot slightly lower and my feet are facing at about 11 o'clock... the same as if you are taking a jump shot.

I take 3 dribbles, bend my knees and exhale. Look up at the rim right before I shoot and let it fly.

I keep it real simple. The idea is to make it like a natural shot. I stand like I'd shoot any other shot, I don't stare at the rim because you never do that before taking a jump shot. I take 3 dribbles and set because it gives you some rhythm and flow. I look up right before I shoot so that you aren't thinking about it too much. It should just be a see the rim real quick and react.

This is how I was taught and I'm an excellent free throw shooter. I'm a big believer in keeping it as simple and close to a natural shot as possible.

lilojmayo 08-18-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
In around sixth grade, at the University of Michigan Basketball Camp, they had a shot doctor come in and give a talk. One of his driving points was keeping a free throw routine as simple as possible. Contrary to many other players, he placed the nail perfectly in between his feet and did not stagger those feet. Then, three dribbles and rise. As a result, that's been my free throw routine ever since, and I've had excellent results, as I shot 87% from the stripe my junior year.

-Both feet up to the line
-Wide stance
-Body directly in middle of paint
-3 comfortable dribbles
-Fire

I think its different for everybody. man ppl need to understand, its all about repetition. and just finding what works for ya.

SourPatchKids 08-19-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilojmayo
I think its different for everybody. man ppl need to understand, its all about repetition. and just finding what works for ya.

I bounce it off my head, but it goes in everytime so you can't criticize. Hehe