Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Case for Gun Control (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274609)

RaininThrees 08-14-2012 11:48 AM

The Case for Gun Control

This is not a fake letter. This is a real letter sent to the Calgary Herald by Kalamazoo Police Officer Walt Wawra while visiting Calgary:

Quote:

I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Nose+Hi...#ixzz23XI5aPqx

It turns out the two people who approached him were trying to give away free tickets to the Stampede.

:facepalm

RaininThrees 08-14-2012 11:50 AM

Re: The Case for Gun Control

jamal99 08-14-2012 12:01 PM

^ :roll:

dajadeed 08-14-2012 12:41 PM

Exactly why you can't have honest dialogue about gun control. Dumbass rednecks like that who don't even know what the 2nd amendment was about.

If that jackass cop had a gun on him he could have pulled a Zimmerman :facepalm

LBJMVP 08-14-2012 01:04 PM

i hate when people try to argue for less gun control by bringing up massacres.

"well, if this person had a gun he could have stopped it."

or he could have shot innocent people by accident.

and lets not act like the only people buying the guns would be good guys.
the people who have the need for guns to begin with are criminals...

Balla_Status 08-14-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJMVP
i hate when people try to argue for less gun control by bringing up massacres.

"well, if this person had a gun he could have stopped it."

or he could have shot innocent people by accident.

and lets not act like the only people buying the guns would be good guys.
the people who have the need for guns to begin with are criminals...

I hate it when people argue for more gun control by brining up massacres.

All they do is shout, "More Gun Control" without brining up any measures to actually stop these. These morons act like criminals actually follow laws.

And to the bolded, someone with a gun could have a chance to stop it. People have stopped things like this in the past so acting like it's some fantasy is dumb.

The fact is that you don't want people to protect themselves from incidents like these and that's simply twisted.

RaininTwos 08-14-2012 01:48 PM

Hawker wants us to go back to the Wild West era where everyone had a piece, criminal or not.:oldlol:

The Macho Man 08-14-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balla_Status

All they do is shout, "More Gun Control" without brining up any measures to actually stop these. These morons act like criminals actually follow laws.

And to the bolded, someone with a gun could have a chance to stop it. People have stopped things like this in the past so acting like it's some fantasy is dumb.

The fact is that you don't want people to protect themselves from incidents like these and that's simply twisted.

People always say this shit and it's ridiculous to me. Obviously they don't follow laws but the laws would make it harder for them to get guns, reducing the number of criminals with guns, reducing the number of people getting shot by criminals with guns.

LBJMVP 08-14-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balla_Status

i do want them to protect themselves, but its just that giving guns to people who want to protect themselves could me just giving a gun to someone with barely any training who just wants to have a gun.

that could lead to many incidents where people shoot people who they think are trying to attack them.

or it could lead to even more massacres.

Milton 08-14-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Macho Man
People always say this shit and it's ridiculous to me. Obviously they don't follow laws but the laws would make it harder for them to get guns, reducing the number of criminals with guns, reducing the number of people getting shot by criminals with guns.

I hear this a lot, no one has ever explained how it will work though, I'll believe gun control works when marijuana control starts working.

The Macho Man 08-14-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton
I hear this a lot, no one has ever explained how it will work though, I'll believe gun control works when marijuana control starts working.

It just seems like common sense:confusedshrug:

If weed was legal I'm sure more people would use it.

Milton 08-14-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

It just seems like common sense:confusedshrug:

If weed was legal I'm sure more people would use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

That's not really the point though.

Weed is illegal people can still easily get it everyone who wants to already is, why would guns be any different?

You're not going to tell me prohibition and the drug war are success stories are you?

The Macho Man 08-14-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

That's not really the point though.

Weed is illegal people can still easily get it everyone who wants to already is, why would guns be any different?

You're not going to tell me prohibition and the drug war are success stories are you?

I don't know because I don't really give a shit but don't countries/states with tighter gun control have less gun violence?

Balla_Status 08-14-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Again, criminals don't follow laws. There's no guarantee they wouldn't get those guns.

Balla_Status 08-14-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJMVP
i do want them to protect themselves, but its just that giving guns to people who want to protect themselves could me just giving a gun to someone with barely any training who just wants to have a gun.

that could lead to many incidents where people shoot people who they think are trying to attack them.

or it could lead to even more massacres.

If that's what you think then that would already be happening on a regular basis. This isn't a John Wayne/Clint Eastwood movie.