Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pistons Roster Not Finished? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275147)

dd24 08-20-2012 12:13 PM

Pistons Roster Not Finished?

Even though they have a full roster of 15 players, Joe D says he still wants to make moves.

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...ns_120820.html

I think we all know this roster still needs pieces. I don't know if there's any immediate moves that can make this team a contender though. I still think it needs to be done through the draft. If we get a really good SG or SF this year in the draft we'd be set. I don't mean that as a knock against Stuckey either, everybody knows I've had his back since day 1. It's just now we have a PF, C, and PG in the last few years. That's the next move to make.

embersyc 08-20-2012 06:20 PM

Re: Pistons Roster Not Finished?

I suspect Dumars will try to swing a 2 for 1 trade for a backup guard and resign Ben Wallace.

I don't think Dumars is completely sold that Kim English is ready to contribute.

dd24 08-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersyc
I suspect Dumars will try to swing a 2 for 1 trade for a backup guard and resign Ben Wallace.

I don't think Dumars is completely sold that Kim English is ready to contribute.

I don't think anyone in the world is sold on Kim English. Maggette can play some SG so I could see him sliding over there. Stuckey can run the point too, so they can have him play that position at times. I'm not so sure Wallace is going to come back any more though.

Aussie Dunker 08-20-2012 09:12 PM

I kind of like what I saw from English during the summer league - he has solid fundamentals, shoots well and hustles... I can see him slotting in as a backup guard in this team... Not sure he has a high ceiling though

dd24 08-21-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
I kind of like what I saw from English during the summer league - he has solid fundamentals, shoots well and hustles... I can see him slotting in as a backup guard in this team... Not sure he has a high ceiling though

I think that would mean we're in store for another lottery pick then. I'm cool with that because we are still a piece away. I'd just rather it be a really high one this time around. Imagine this Pistons team with a guy like Shabazz Muhammad. Then we'd be ready to compete finally.

Aussie Dunker 08-21-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I think that would mean we're in store for another lottery pick then. I'm cool with that because we are still a piece away. I'd just rather it be a really high one this time around. Imagine this Pistons team with a guy like Shabazz Muhammad. Then we'd be ready to compete finally.

Shabazz will be a top 3 at worst - no way our team falls into that category this year... We would be lucky / unlucky (depending on how you look at it) to get a top 10 pick again this year....

dd24 08-21-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Shabazz will be a top 3 at worst - no way our team falls into that category this year... We would be lucky / unlucky (depending on how you look at it) to get a top 10 pick again this year....

That's why I said if we're going to be in the lottery it better be a really high pick this time around. English isn't the answer as a backup. It's obviously highly unlikely and a dream to be able to grab someone like Shabazz. Imagine being able to have Stuckey backing up Knight and Shabazz though.... he's going to be a game changer in the NBA. That would be a roster that could possibly be the best in the East. That's the type of move we need. Right now we're mediocre at best. Even if we end up with the #10 pick this time around we need to look at packaging it with other players and moving up to #2 or #3. I hope it's a season where our young C's get plenty of PT, we get to see some more of Daye, more Jerebko, more Knight, and just let these young guys develop.

Aussie Dunker 08-22-2012 02:33 AM

Yeah mate that would be amazing - but very, very unlikely to happen..

I rate Stuckey highly - the same way you do, but I would of packaged him for Beal / Lamb this year... I hope he thrives this year, just need to add consistency

dd24 08-22-2012 03:02 AM

I'm not sure we could have moved up to get Beal. I think Beal is basically going to be Stuckey anyway. He's even more of a tweener. There's a possibility they could have landed Lamb, but there's a lot of risk there too. I think we all know Detroit will be drafting SG or SF next year though. People might be high on Singler but I don't see him making much of an impact. Maggette said he may retire after this season so there goes our backup SG/SF.

Aussie Dunker 08-22-2012 11:51 PM

Middleton looks to be a solid prospect, and Daye still has potential (this is his last year to prove it...

Mate you seem kind of down on Middleton, Singler, English - I think all 3 of them can be very solid supporting acts to Knight / Monroe / Drummond (eventually). Just curious why you are down on these guys? Maybe I am missing something

dd24 08-23-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Middleton looks to be a solid prospect, and Daye still has potential (this is his last year to prove it...

Mate you seem kind of down on Middleton, Singler, English - I think all 3 of them can be very solid supporting acts to Knight / Monroe / Drummond (eventually). Just curious why you are down on these guys? Maybe I am missing something

There's no way all of those 2nd round picks are going to be solid players in the NBA. 2nd rounders don't last long typically. Remember how awesome everyone though Terrico White was? I don't even know where he's at now. Do you really want Singler guarding Lebron James and English guarding Dwayne Wade? I'm just saying it's not enough firepower to be good. I'm not upset about it. Like I've been saying we're still a piece away.

embersyc 08-23-2012 07:31 AM

Remember when everyone thought Dajuan Summers was going to be awesome a fews year back :oldlol:

Singler has the most upside out of current group of 2nd rounders, Middleton should not be in the league period. English will never be "Afflalo" level like the pretty picture the team is trying to paint.

I admit I do like English's attitude, so he may prove me wrong.

el gringos 08-23-2012 11:10 AM

Pistons get- k Martin and m Morris

Rockets get- Amare, det 2nd, ny 1st

Knicks get- Villenueva, a daye, Motiejunas

Great for all 3 teams- would set det up perfectly to either make trades, have capspace, or just keep that squad together

dd24 08-23-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
Pistons get- k Martin and m Morris

Rockets get- Amare, det 2nd, ny 1st

Knicks get- Villenueva, a daye, Motiejunas

Great for all 3 teams- would set det up perfectly to either make trades, have capspace, or just keep that squad together

I don't like it. I think it's not enough to compete in the East. I have nothing against Martin or Morris. They just don't get our team to the next level. I'd much rather risk it in the draft.

dd24 08-23-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersyc
Remember when everyone thought Dajuan Summers was going to be awesome a fews year back :oldlol:

Singler has the most upside out of current group of 2nd rounders, Middleton should not be in the league period. English will never be "Afflalo" level like the pretty picture the team is trying to paint.

I admit I do like English's attitude, so he may prove me wrong.

Agreed. Even I liked Summers for a bit. That guy really was kind of a bust. He had the size and the skill and never put it all together. If we're going to rely on 2nd rounders it's going to be a tough season again. As fans we need to be smart and just enjoy watching our young talent get experience and grow.