Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Simple Basketball System? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275581)

Semi 08-26-2012 05:29 AM

Simple Basketball System?

I don't know if I'm right here with this thread, if not mods please take it to it's right place.

I'm playing in a very minor league in Germany Basketball just for fun. Our team trains once a week. And not every player attends those trainings frequently. So my question is, what would be the perfect system to play for us. We don't know too much about the x and o's of the game so it should be very simple. Some things like how to space and other stuff, I hope you guy's understand and can give me some advice.

jbot 08-26-2012 07:11 AM

Re: Simple Basketball System?

go with your team's strengths. if u got tall players, use the post. fast guys, then run and gun. do u have shooters?

JellyBean 08-26-2012 12:04 PM

Are you trying to boost your teammates playing IQ so that over the years they become better players? If so I would go with the Read and React offense from Better Basketball. It has 20 layers to use. I coach high school girls basketball and we have only used 3 of the 20 layers but it has increased their playing IQ. The down side; the cost.

Running a simple system to run just for fun; I would go with run n' gun and hit the open man.

SourPatchKids 08-26-2012 02:51 PM

Don't overpass.

Maga_1 08-26-2012 03:09 PM

In my opinion it really depends on your team strenghts, specially that if it is one player better than the others or the competition that you will play in the future.

To help you out i need more information.

UConnCeltics 08-26-2012 04:29 PM

I would recommend pick and roll, drive and dish, give and go, lobs, and utilize backdoor cuts.

If this league is a mostly "just for fun" league back door cuts are lethal, especially if you are playing against players with a lower BB IQ.

I loved lobs when I would play pickup games. My friend would take it to the hoop then just leave it up for me to go get. Whoever was on me usually wasn't expecting it because you wouldn't really expect a 5'11 white guy to be playing at the rim. Just lay it over the rim while in the air or come down with it, take a power dribble, then a nice little spin with a hook shot.

Give and go, drive and dish, and pick and roll should all be pretty self explanatory.

One last thing I would recommend is running some post isolation. As a post player, I loved getting the ball when I knew that I only had one defender far away from his teammates where I could potentially get in 3 dribbles before he had help. Leaves a lot of options open. Hook shots, running hooks, left spin, right spin, back him down, fade away off the glass, etc. My favorite move was to get right out side of the paint about 6 feet away from the hoop, get my man behind get my foot closest to the hoop in between him and the basket, spin in and give him a nice forearm tap on his hip on my way to an open layup.

Burgz V2 08-26-2012 08:30 PM

anything that allows you to penetrate and then kick the ball out.

if you have goodballhandlers and mobile bigs try to get your guards to get in the paint via pick and rolls and tell others that they should move to the open spaces (whether its a cut towards the rim or drifting away or "lifting" towards the the player)

if you have good attackers and wings try and get them to attack the rim as early as possible in the possession. the trick with this is these players must also be willing to give up the basketball at the right time when the defense slides over to help. if you can do that consistently there will be opportunities to attack for sure.

more specific to your team, I can't really say much because you haven't given us much to go on