Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Team News: Kupchak might be Lakers' true superhero (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275632)

$LakerGold 08-27-2012 04:07 AM

Team News: Kupchak might be Lakers' true superhero

Miller: Kupchak might be Lakers' true superhero...

READ MORE: CLICK HERE

Quote:

There was a time when it appeared Howard had no chance of becoming a Laker. That time was the day before the deal was completed.
In other words, Kupchak mixed patience and perseverance until Orlando relented. The Magic then worked out the details with the 76ers and Nuggets and came back to the Lakers for final confirmation.

There's one more thing to consider here: Kupchak just displayed significant Spaldings in not only dealing away a mountain of young talent in Andrew Bynum but also in acquiring a player who could bolt after only one season.

DKLaker 08-27-2012 11:20 AM

Re: Team News: Kupchak might be Lakers' true superhero

Quote:

Originally Posted by $LakerGold
Miller: Kupchak might be Lakers' true superhero...

READ MORE: CLICK HERE

We all already knew what a spectacular job Kupchak has done for the Lakers, the thing that stuck out the most was that he said Dr. Jerry Buss made the call on this deal, there had been much debate that it was Jimmy showing his guts but as it was said in another thread, the deal was textbook Dr. Buss...now we know.

Mgamer20o0 08-27-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
We all already knew what a spectacular job Kupchak has done for the Lakers, the thing that stuck out the most was that he said Dr. Jerry Buss made the call on this deal, there had been much debate that it was Jimmy showing his guts but as it was said in another thread, the deal was textbook Dr. Buss...now we know.

the thread you talked about.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=274852

Quote:

"Dr. (Jerry) Buss is a very competitive owner," Kupchak said as a way of deflecting credit. "When it comes down to making a decision over a couple of dollars or a million dollars or 10 million dollars or putting another banner up, you know, he can't help himself. He chooses to go for the banner."

saying he is willing to pay the money though doesnt say he made the call. i am still not sure if it was jerry over riding jimmy..... jimmy agreeing with the trade or Kupchak making the end run around jimmy and going to dr buss directly.

for the most part Kupchak been getting the respect for the fans. the picks and signings are not 100% dead on but you cant get everything right. at least he been able to get out from under some of the bad contracts. some people cant figure out at times you have to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

DKLaker 08-28-2012 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
the thread you talked about.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=274852

saying he is willing to pay the money though doesnt say he made the call. i am still not sure if it was jerry over riding jimmy..... jimmy agreeing with the trade or Kupchak making the end run around jimmy and going to dr buss directly.

for the most part Kupchak been getting the respect for the fans. the picks and signings are not 100% dead on but you cant get everything right. at least he been able to get out from under some of the bad contracts. some people cant figure out at times you have to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

I hear what you are saying but in this case it is more than fair to read between the lines. Mitch is always very prepared before he goes into an interview. It is extremely unlikely that Jimmy was involved in the decision and Mitch forgot to mention it, and extremely likely that Dr. Buss said to get the deal done no matter what. I think he wants to pass Boston for most titles before he dies or becomes senile. :rockon:

ihatetimthomas 08-28-2012 02:12 AM

The credit you need to give Kupchak is for being a part of devising these complex trades. A 4 team trade is not something easy to get done. You have to get approval from every team and every team has to get what they want. In this particular deal, every team got what they wanted. Even Orlando. Now I know you guys are going to say that Orlando got screwed. But they got what they wanted. Cap relief, picks and a brand new start. They get their own lottery pick plus all the other draft picks from the trade. They didnt want Bynum long term bc he was viewed as a risk and they didnt want Brook Lopez for a max deal.

DKLaker 08-28-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
The credit you need to give Kupchak is for being a part of devising these complex trades. A 4 team trade is not something easy to get done. You have to get approval from every team and every team has to get what they want. In this particular deal, every team got what they wanted. Even Orlando. Now I know you guys are going to say that Orlando got screwed. But they got what they wanted. Cap relief, picks and a brand new start. They get their own lottery pick plus all the other draft picks from the trade. They didnt want Bynum long term bc he was viewed as a risk and they didnt want Brook Lopez for a max deal.

Yes Orlando got what they wanted......and they screwed themselves :oldlol:

Mgamer20o0 08-28-2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

I hear what you are saying but in this case it is more than fair to read between the lines. Mitch is always very prepared before he goes into an interview. It is extremely unlikely that Jimmy was involved in the decision and Mitch forgot to mention it, and extremely likely that Dr. Buss said to get the deal done no matter what. I think he wants to pass Boston for most titles before he dies or becomes senile. :rockon:

if i had to put money on it it would be on jerry buss. though i try not to assume things.

Lebronn23 08-28-2012 04:34 AM

Mitch send Kobe to Miami :bowdown:

lakerfreak 08-28-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Yes Orlando got what they wanted......and they screwed themselves :oldlol:

I don't really like to say that, because they've saved themselves some money. After a year or whenever they feel like, they can go after top free agents. Orlando is a nice city. Attractive. Not better than SD obviously ;) but its a good attractive spot. They will be just fine I think.

lakerfreak 08-28-2012 02:16 PM

The thing that annoys me is that they would have gotten the same cap relief had they just let him walk. Its much easier. What the hell are those 3 first rounders going to do for them anyways? I suppose they can trade them. Or perhaps draft low quality players for cheap. The NBA has changed as far as transactions go. Luckily we have a team who has so much money, that they don't mind bringing in the D12, Nash, Jamison, to simply compliment the likes of KB24 and PG16.

DKLaker 08-28-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I don't really like to say that, because they've saved themselves some money. After a year or whenever they feel like, they can go after top free agents. Orlando is a nice city. Attractive. Not better than SD obviously ;) but its a good attractive spot. They will be just fine I think.

Ok, here's the problem.......Stars today do not want to be put on an island alone, they want to know they are joining a team that can win and ownership who are committed to winning. Who the hell wants to join a team with no history of winning a title nor big spending and currently has no star?
Sure, you get paid......then what? Get your @ss kicked by mega teams?
Let's say YOU are a star, would you do that rather than join a winning franchise/top player(s).....I wouldn't.
The team ends up with a ton of cap room and no takers.

Had they taken Bynum it would be far more easy to get other top players......maybe that gets Bynum to stay, if not you still have all that cap room to work just as they will now. As you said those draft picks don't mean much. All Orlando did is guarantee they will be mediocre at best for the next 5+ years.

SourPatchKids 08-28-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebronn23
Mitch send Kobe to Miami :bowdown:

Heh

lakerfreak 08-29-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Ok, here's the problem.......Stars today do not want to be put on an island alone, they want to know they are joining a team that can win and ownership who are committed to winning. Who the hell wants to join a team with no history of winning a title nor big spending and currently has no star?
Let's say YOU are a star, would you do that rather than join a winning franchise/top player(s).....I wouldn't.

Had they taken Bynum it would be far more easy to get other top players......maybe that gets Bynum to stay, if not you still have all that cap room to work just as they will now. As you said those draft picks don't mean much. All Orlando did is guarantee they will be mediocre at best for the next 5+ years.

I guess it would depend on the player's personality. Not all care about winning as much as they'll say it to fans. Some clock in, and clock out, and just have fun playing.

Perhaps they can attract a rudy gay type of player. Doesn't really show "will power". Someone who can sell jerseys, dunks, put up 20 ppg, then get their number retired. Those type of guys exist. Unfortunately their attitudes are the reason they aren't superstars. Im not saying its a bad attitude. I call them "C" players, because they do what their supposed to, but they do it at 100% rather than 110%.

ihatetimthomas 08-29-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Simply put, they didn't want Bynum. They saw him as too much of a risk. They didn't want to commit to him long term. Plus, how would they be able to get any other top stars this season, even with Bynum? Not like they would have had a lot of $$ to spend this season. They would still be over the cap.

Here is a article on their thought process: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ans-grant-hill

They are rebuilding the old fashioned way. Start from the bottom and hopefully draft well. This is better than what many teams do. Most teams live in mediocrity where they try to rebuild but still try to make the playoffs.

Look, I am not trying to back what the Magic got, bc any time you lose a superstar and get what they got you lose but it makes more sense after being able to sit and think about it.

lakerfreak, keeping Dwight was not a option this year. Do you understand how bad the relationship was? Do you think it would have been smart to bring Dwight back after all that transpired? Dwight screwed the Magic and any leverage they had bc teams knew he would be dealt.

Also, what would the point of keeping him this year be if he was going to walk anyways? Sure they end up in the playoffs, but after he leaves, they are stuck with no good picks. This deal solidifies a high lottery pick for them.

DKLaker 08-29-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Simply put, they didn't want Bynum. They saw him as too much of a risk. They didn't want to commit to him long term. Plus, how would they be able to get any other top stars this season, even with Bynum? Not like they would have had a lot of $$ to spend this season. They would still be over the cap.

Here is a article on their thought process: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ans-grant-hill

They are rebuilding the old fashioned way. Start from the bottom and hopefully draft well. This is better than what many teams do. Most teams live in mediocrity where they try to rebuild but still try to make the playoffs.

Look, I am not trying to back what the Magic got, bc any time you lose a superstar and get what they got you lose but it makes more sense after being able to sit and think about it.

lakerfreak, keeping Dwight was not a option this year. Do you understand how bad the relationship was? Do you think it would have been smart to bring Dwight back after all that transpired? Dwight screwed the Magic and any leverage they had bc teams knew he would be dealt.

Also, what would the point of keeping him this year be if he was going to walk anyways? Sure they end up in the playoffs, but after he leaves, they are stuck with no good picks. This deal solidifies a high lottery pick for them.

With what they did I do not see this franchise as being relevant for at least 6 years.......do you?

I see their only shot was to get a legit top player for Howard and they blew it.

BTW....it doesn't matter to me what Orlando was thinking, their front office is more incompetent than our scouting department which is being run by 24 year old Jesse Buss. Stupid is as stupid does.....lol.