Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Woman dies for Wii (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27565)

Heilige 01-25-2007 08:26 PM

OT: Woman dies for Wii

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death," said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station's owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange's death.

"We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred," he said.

Initially, contestants were handed 8-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk."

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore," he added.

After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for her kids."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/wat....ap/index.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and say her children will never play video games again. That's really terrible.

Howard5Dirk41 01-25-2007 08:27 PM

this is like 2 weeks old...

But the people that got fired should be put in jail.

You should of heard the audio of them joking about people dying while on the air, I heard it on Larry King Live and it was pretty disurbing.

bigkingsfan 01-25-2007 08:29 PM

It was her fault, you can't just keep chugging h20 when your brain have repeatedly told you to stop.

brwnman 01-25-2007 08:31 PM

it's not the fault of the contest, it's the fault of the lady...

MTing 01-25-2007 08:32 PM

Wow....what a dumba$$

ThaKid 01-25-2007 08:34 PM

wow, idiots, not tryin to be funny, but she shoulda jus f@$%&*% bought one..... this really jus pi$$ed me off

Bosh4life 01-25-2007 08:44 PM

how much do the Wii's cost?

bigboi_baller 01-25-2007 08:45 PM

The girl's fam got a good lawyer. They'll probably win some money.

Skywalker 01-25-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

wow, idiots, not tryin to be funny, but she shoulda jus f@$%&*% bought one..... this really jus pi$$ed me off

they are impossible to find

anyways, if you saw a water drinking contest where yo ucould win one for free, instead of dropping 500 on ebay for one, what would you do?

she was doing it for her kids and she f'd up, she's a dumba$$ for trying to please her kids?

Spike Spiegel 01-25-2007 08:48 PM

It's the fault of the women for drinking to much, it's the fault of the DJ's for KNOWING that there was a problem, at first joking about it, then not doing anything about it when it was obvious that the women needed helped/stopped.

LAZYBOY 01-25-2007 08:55 PM

This lady worked in the same building as me, very sad.

24/7 01-25-2007 09:04 PM

Like the first poster said this is old news here in Cali, what I don't think that article said was the fact that a nurse called the radio station and told them what they were doing was not safe and they apparently told her that her(the nurse) that her concerns were exaggerated.

bigboi_baller 01-25-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24/7
Like the first poster said this is old news here in Cali, what I don't think that article said was the fact that a nurse called the radio station and told them what they were doing was not safe and they apparently told her that her(the nurse) that her concerns were exaggerated.

Yeah, I was listening to the fam's lawyer and he was saying that the contestant s were allowed to listen to the radio when people were calling in telling them that this is crazy and they wanted to do it; however, when the nurse called in, they forced the contestants into a room where they couldn't hear the callers.

The station is probably going to do an out of court settlement because a long trial won't be good for their reputation.

Mahmoud 01-25-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brwnman
it's not the fault of the contest, it's the fault of the lady...

No, its the fault of the contest. People were fired, people will be sued and the police are looking at possible criminal charges against some of the individuals involved. You can't take advantage of people due to possible ignorance. Some of the other contest participants said that they were warned that nausea or vomiting were mentioned in the waiver(which was the size of a postcard) but death was not included or mentioned, neither were any severe/permanent side-effects.

One contestant, who did wind up in the hospital, is looking at filing a suit as well, saying that they were extremely misled, and ridiculed by the DJ's when they mentioned various complications.

In fact, a nurse called in on the show and her warnings that somebody could actually die doing this, were laughed at and basically ignored, and the contestant's were in a soundproof room where they could not hear this warning.

The woman herself, said that she was experiencing bad headaches, and feeling horrible and the radio folks laughed at her and insisted that it was all normal and that she was fine.

Yes, the woman probably wasn't the brightest person around, but this radio station showed nothing less than criminal negligence on their part.

LAZYBOY 01-25-2007 09:32 PM

The DJ's were garbage anyway, they probably should have been fired before this happened.