Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Duke's Lance Thomas received improper benefits? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276369)

IGotACoolStory 09-08-2012 03:42 PM

Duke's Lance Thomas received improper benefits?

So I guess I will post this if no one else will.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...849_story.html

Apparently he bought 100k worth of jewelry with 30k down. The jewelry store gave him a 70k "loan" and hasn't paid them back.

First off, he just had 30k lying around? Okay, I will ignore that. I know a little about his family's financial situation and it's not completely implausible (although unlikely).

However, the part Duke should be worried about is the loan. An improper benefit is defined by receiving a benefit any normal college student wouldn't be able to obtain. Like $70,000 line of credit, perhaps? That he hasn't paid them back I think makes it worse. Wouldn't that essentially be a 70k bonus while still in school?

And it's worth noting that he was on the 2010 National Championship team.

SourPatchKids 09-08-2012 04:36 PM

Re: Duke's Lance Thomas received improper benefits?

Bano114 09-08-2012 06:56 PM

Oh wow. Some kid I knew in high school is his step-brother.

UConnCeltics 09-08-2012 06:58 PM

He went to Duke. NCAA won't touch Duke or UNC, ever.

SourPatchKids 09-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UConnCeltics

:( :mad: :( :mad: :(

bballer 09-09-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UConnCeltics

on a scale of 1-chris brown, how mad are you?

UConnCeltics 09-09-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballer

I don't know. I hate Duke, I like UNC. UConn should have been punished for the APR stuff, and they were. The retroactive punishment was BS. But UNC has fake classes which the NCAA said was ok, basically saying they prefer to punish players taking real classes and not being successful. NCAA is full of shit.

SourPatchKids 09-09-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballer

:oldlol:

JellyBean 09-09-2012 06:58 PM

This is going to be interesting. I doubt Duke gets anything except maybe a slap on the wrist.

noob cake 09-09-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
So I guess I will post this if no one else will.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...849_story.html

Apparently he bought 100k worth of jewelry with 30k down. The jewelry store gave him a 70k "loan" and hasn't paid them back.

First off, he just had 30k lying around? Okay, I will ignore that. I know a little about his family's financial situation and it's not completely implausible (although unlikely).

However, the part Duke should be worried about is the loan. An improper benefit is defined by receiving a benefit any normal college student wouldn't be able to obtain. Like $70,000 line of credit, perhaps? That he hasn't paid them back I think makes it worse. Wouldn't that essentially be a 70k bonus while still in school?

And it's worth noting that he was on the 2010 National Championship team.

Lol, a jeweler decide to give Lance Thomas a 70k loan, banking on the fact that he will become a NBA player. How is this Duke's problem?

InspiredLebowski 09-09-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob cake
Lol, a jeweler decide to give Lance Thomas a 70k loan, banking on the fact that he will become a NBA player. How is this Duke's problem?

If it's not available to any student it's an impermissible benefit. Or could be interpreted as one anyway. But it's Duke so it won't be. The real question is how'd he put 30k down?

IGotACoolStory 09-09-2012 10:42 PM

Regardless, he's was a student with the income of $0. Who knows his credit history, but I'm going to guess it's not great for a 22 (?) year old college student. He also was obligated to pay it back in 15 days? 15 days for an unemployed college kid? Again, 15 days so his potential future earnings holds little ground.

And it was Lance Thomas of all players. I don't know exactly how that works, but it's not like he was a well known future first rounder. I mean, he didn't get drafted, nor was he expected to be. But even it were Kyle Singler, it would still be a impermissible benefit.

Also if this transaction was so clean, why did the jewelry place wait so long (2 years) to file this lawsuit?

It just all sounds sketchy to me.

People pile on the NCAA and, to an extent, rightfully so. Although you have to remember that they went after UCLA and Kansas in the past. Recently Ohio State and USC in football. If the problem is bad enough, they aren't going to just sweep it under the rug. They can't.

btw, this is what he bought:

lolk

ukfan22 09-09-2012 10:52 PM

Imagine, for a moment, a story broke that Demarcus Cousins bought $100k worth of jewelry in the middle of the season while at UK

JellyBean 09-10-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukfan22
Imagine, for a moment, a story broke that Demarcus Cousins bought $100k worth of jewelry in the middle of the season while at UK

The NCAA would have seen Demarcus Cousins name, and they would have been at the University of Kentucky with papers that morning.

wakencdukest 09-14-2012 06:40 PM

What I don't get is how some dipshit that has nothing gets $100,000 worth of jewelry. Why not get a car? Now, he's gonna walk back into the projects with no money, no ride, but some nice bling! That could have been a down payment on a house for his momma.