Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do we really expect from the Raptors this year? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277726)

00playboy00 10-01-2012 04:25 PM

What do we really expect from the Raptors this year?

I like the depth at the pg position and thats about it. Lottery here we come again.

Alvin WIlliams will help Lowry become an all-star.
VIllanova products

Chamberlain 10-01-2012 04:51 PM

Re: What do we really expect from the Raptors this year?

5th in the Atlantic
12th in the East
25th in the League

Breakout year from Lowry
Disappointing season from DeRozan
Rocky rookie season from Valanciunas, but shows promise
Ross is better than expected
Calderon traded for a terrible return
Bargnani gets his usual 20/6
Davis officially busts
Amir stays the same
Landry Fields better than expected
Lots of Quincy Acy fouls

I know its pretty pessimistic, but that's how I see the season playing out.

bluerap 10-01-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
5th in the Atlantic
12th in the East
25th in the League

Breakout year from Lowry
Davis officially busts
Amir stays the same
Lots of Quincy Acy fouls

I know its pretty pessimistic, but that's how I see the season playing out.

Agree with most of this but I think Davis will be ok. He'll get lots of boards and blocks in limited mins. and will learn to get amir johnson type of offence (put backs etc).

Also think your off a little on seeding.

I'd say 10th in East (probably 5th in Atlantic) and 22nd in league.

Qwyjibo 10-02-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Breakout year from Lowry
Amir stays the same
Totally agree on those.

Quote:

I hope for this but not counting on it.

Quote:

Davis officially busts
He'll "bust" because he once again won't get much of a chance to play.

Quote:

No.

Chamberlain 10-02-2012 11:33 AM

I just think that the overall opinion of Ross on this board is pretty low, as most people wanted to draft somebody else, and I think at about the halfway point of the season people will realize he wasn't such a bad pick after all.

On Davis, I was very against drafting him and have tried my best to be supportive of him during his time here. I agree he hasn't gotten a fair deal with playing time, and I do think he deserved it over some others. This will be his first year with an actual training camp and if he doesn't impress, I fear its back to riding the pine.

Jballer 10-02-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I just think that the overall opinion of Ross on this board is pretty low, as most people wanted to draft somebody else, and I think at about the halfway point of the season people will realize he wasn't such a bad pick after all.

To be clear - I think I speak for a lot of sentiment on the board.

I am not against Ross at all. I expect him to be a fairly mature player for a rookie. I can see him by end of season with 25 minutes and some crutial looks especially if Derozan is in a shooting percentage funk.... or if they need more shooting than Landry Fields/ Kliza is delivering with Derozan bumped to 3.

I am against Ross at 8th pick.

Minor difference I know.

But I recall that even the year we drafted Vince - we did a pick and flip and got cash back from the Lakers.

With Drummond available and Jose's contract I pressume a lot of teams... maybe 6 ..would make an offer on an upside center and talented distrubutor whose deal is only 1 year. Perhaps we could have been Denver - in the 3 way deal and netted Iggy for 2 seasons. By all evidence including interviews with Colangelo we expressed an interest.

Finally the very simple pick for Houston and trade down for their pick (Jeremy Lamb) likely would have worked. No one projected Ross at 8 - 9 - 10. By all account Lamb looks to be a solid rookie as well. With Lowry discussion on the board that netted us a "protected loss" of a 1st rounder - I suspect at the very least if we had offered up 8 plus Jose plus Ed D - we could have gotten Lowry plus a latter pick. I dont recall the timing of the Lin signing in Houston - but Jose would have been a good fit for that team especially with only 1 year going.

Bottom line is BC couldnt pull a deal because all the GMs were playing hard ball with him. He didnt have the assets (i.e. picking Drummond that would have tempted them) and the assets he did have to deal were his picks - his team and not enough.

T-Low 10-02-2012 06:00 PM

How do we know if people at 9-10 weren't looking at Ross also? There might be something there that happened in workouts that could look to be a steal.

bada bing 10-03-2012 12:35 AM

what do i expect from the raps? to show some class and compete. To show some respect towards fans that show up to their games or watch their games on tv. To show some dedication towards fans that have continued to support the product despite management incompetence. I dont expect them to be in the hunt for a playoff spot but I expect them to show respect towards the game and their fans.

bada bing 10-03-2012 12:38 AM

derozan is crap and i dont expect much from him now. Bargs is gonna do his regular 20/5 while continuing to keep the team hostage via his lack of on court IQ and desire to play defence.

Jballer 10-03-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Low
How do we know if people at 9-10 weren't looking at Ross also? There might be something there that happened in workouts that could look to be a steal.

Fair point :cheers:

Especially as he could be a very good player which I always admitted.

I guess I would say only that there was no single consensus draft pick that had him that high - which in itself is a little meaningless as the Cavs reached for a player no one expects.

But I will ask all you "Ross is a great pick at 8" this question:

Were the Raptors fundementally deep enough in talent the past two seasons that picking up a shooting 2 with "mature defense skills" is the exact piece this team needs to move up into "consistent playoff team" with the depth to make some noise if the injury bug and other factors break their way ?

Answer : No

Question: Should have the Raptors taken a flyer on a high upside talent and used the next two years to determine : (1) what they have and (2) what would be available given Jose Calderon's contract $10M expires this year and Andreas Bargnani contract expires next year ($12Million ?)

I know my answer but you can choose to disagree

Grey Dawn 10-03-2012 01:37 PM

Man the East sucks. Bad.

Therefore the Raptors, along with every other team not in the top 4 (Miami, Indiana, Boston, Phillie), have a chance to make the playoffs.

bada bing 10-03-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
Man the East sucks. Bad.

Therefore the Raptors, along with every other team not in the top 4 (Miami, Indiana, Boston, Phillie), have a chance to make the playoffs.

unfortunately this is very true. the team might compete and it will be shown as we are a good team.

BurningHammer 10-04-2012 12:19 AM

Sneaking in at 7th or 8th should be the biggest goal this season.

Qwyjibo 10-04-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurningHammer
Sneaking in at 7th or 8th should be the biggest goal this season.

Honestly, I'd rather the Raptors finish 9th or 10th and get that lottery pick to Houston out of the way early.

If the Raptors do become a great team in the near future, most of the current roster will have little to with that. Other than Valanciunas, Lowry and maybe Ross or even Davis (if both pan out), everyone is basically irrelevant to me when talking about the Raptors future. That's why I don't care if they have to endure another losing season.

Then there's the additional benefit of another losing season hopefully forcing Colangelo out. Although it he's just replaced by Stefanski, that's not much progress.