Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278013)

Force 10-05-2012 02:58 PM

new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
I don't see how the players union could let this possibly pass. you cant do something where the language is like this in the rule. you could call a flop on almost anybody every game.

Someone bumps arms going up for a shot in the paint, everybody flails their arms in the sky and screams. everybody does that. by rule you can say its a flop. the rule is too dangerous for players. D Rose goes up for a twisting lay up gets contact and he yells "ahhhh" and then falls to the floor. The refs can easily say that the scream was acting and that he didn't have to fall on the floor but only did because he was trying to sell a call, which is not allowed by the new rules. there would be countless scenarios where offensive and defensive flopping could be called. does throwing your head back or even turning it make it a flop if you grunt at the same time? how will they know if it's fake or mostly a natural reaction? bracing yourself for a hit, after all these years of being told by refs to fall back, now you want to fine them for that and determine if the fall was natural or not? not gonna happen. countless scenarios where you can see the rule ready to fail.

i don't see the rule sticking at all. it'll have to be rewritten or just trashed completely. players would appeal individual calls, some would win. it'd be a mess, there would be too much video proof of other calls that could or could not have been called a flop. why is this a flop but this one isn't? they'll realize they won't be able to make the rule consistent enough.

you want to make the refs LESS a part of the game? play like it's the late 80's early 90's.

Jolokia 10-05-2012 03:17 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
Why don't they just give the coaches two challenges and get it over with...

Win the challenge and get a technical freethrow and the ball out of bounds. Win two challenges and get a third one.

Tada!

ripthekik 10-05-2012 03:50 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
I agree with this post. It's WAY too subjective. How do you define "Flopping"?

Faking an act? As long as the act is initiated authentically, how can you say it's not natural? Everyone has different strength, and the momentum and forces of the game will have their own effect.

Unless they only fine those extreme ones : video proof that there was 100% no contact and the player faked it all by himself.

Otherwise, it's all too subjective and arguable.

tmacattack33 10-05-2012 05:19 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Force
I don't see how the players union could let this possibly pass. you cant do something where the language is like this in the rule. you could call a flop on almost anybody every game.

Someone bumps arms going up for a shot in the paint, everybody flails their arms in the sky and screams. everybody does that. by rule you can say its a flop. the rule is too dangerous for players. D Rose goes up for a twisting lay up gets contact and he yells "ahhhh" and then falls to the floor. The refs can easily say that the scream was acting and that he didn't have to fall on the floor but only did because he was trying to sell a call, which is not allowed by the new rules. there would be countless scenarios where offensive and defensive flopping could be called. does throwing your head back or even turning it make it a flop if you grunt at the same time? how will they know if it's fake or mostly a natural reaction? bracing yourself for a hit, after all these years of being told by refs to fall back, now you want to fine them for that and determine if the fall was natural or not? not gonna happen. countless scenarios where you can see the rule ready to fail.

i don't see the rule sticking at all. it'll have to be rewritten or just trashed completely. players would appeal individual calls, some would win. it'd be a mess, there would be too much video proof of other calls that could or could not have been called a flop. why is this a flop but this one isn't? they'll realize they won't be able to make the rule consistent enough.

you want to make the refs LESS a part of the game? play like it's the late 80's early 90's.



Almost all fouls and some violations are subjective.

This will not be the only thing that is subjective.

It will also not be the only thing that produces fines and is subjective. Technical fouls are very subjective and produce fines too.

So are off the court problems, team misconduct, and missing practices... some coaches and teams are more lenient than others and some are more strict and fine (or hand out suspensions...which makes the player lose money for that game) their players more.

tmacattack33 10-05-2012 05:25 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
Furthermore, the new synthetic ball had almost no positives. Hardly any of the players liked it. And it had pretty much no effect on the fans.

The new flopping rules are an awesome thing for fans. And many players (the non Harden and Blake followers) probably like it too.

NumberSix 10-05-2012 06:13 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
I think this rule is targeted more towards FAKING contact than selling contact.

Meticode 10-05-2012 06:17 PM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripthekik
I agree with this post. It's WAY too subjective. How do you define "Flopping"?

Faking an act? As long as the act is initiated authentically, how can you say it's not natural? Everyone has different strength, and the momentum and forces of the game will have their own effect.

Unless they only fine those extreme ones : video proof that there was 100% no contact and the player faked it all by himself.

Otherwise, it's all too subjective and arguable.

Flopping to me is going to be over-eggerating a call really bad or making it look like their's contact when they'res not. Baron Davis, LeBron James, Chris Paul have all done it. I'm fine with someone taking a charge and selling it a little bit because they took the charge legit, but falling to the floor when a elbow swings in front of you when it doesn't even contact is low. That's the type of flopping I want out of here. I think the type of flopping where there's a little contact and a guy acts like he just got hit by a Mack truck will be a little harder to deal with. That's the type of stuff Varejao does.

Force 10-06-2012 03:37 AM

Re: new Flopping rules with go the way of synthetic ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberSix
I think this rule is targeted more towards FAKING contact than selling contact.


Maybe you didn't see the league's exact wording. Selling a foul is a flop too. I know people here are bashing Lebron CP3 Griffin and whoever else for what they call flopping, but everybody is guilty under the word of the league. Actally Kobe is major violator under the way the league wants to call it. Flailing your arms and screaming is a fine any time they want to call it a flop by their definition.

There is no way the rule will stick.

That's the one drawback about the continuation rule. If you know you have a diffucult shot attempt and you sell the foul, you are helping your team greatly. You get a free shot at the hoop and a chance for 3.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy