Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Battle of the Power Fowards: Kevin McHale vs. Pau Gasol (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278072)

BlackVVaves 10-06-2012 07:31 PM

Battle of the Power Fowards: Kevin McHale vs. Pau Gasol

(in an effort to stimulate healthy, non-trollish basketball discussion)

The Past vs. the Present...

US vs. Euro...

The Celtics vs. The Lakers...

In your opinion, whom was more valued at his position and whom should be ranked higher All-Time?

Brief look at each player's career:

Kevin McHale
>> Regular Season <<
18 PPG
7 RPG
2 APG
2 BPG
55% FG

>> Playoffs <<
19 PPG
7 RPG
2 APG
2 BPG
56% FG

Career highlights: 3X NBA Champion ('81, '84, '86); 3X NBA All-Defensive 1st Team ('86, '87, '88); 2X Sixth Man of the Year ('84, '85); 1st Team All-NBA ('87); 3X NBA All-Defensive 2nd Team ('83, '89, '90)

Pau Gasol
>> Regular Season <<
19 PPG
9 RPG
3 APG
2 BPG
52% FG

>> Playoffs <<
17 PPG
10 RPG
3 APG
2 BPG
52% FG

Career Highlights: 2X Champion (2009, 2010); Rookie of the Year (2002); 2X
3rd Team All-NBA (2009, 2010); 2nd Team All-NBA (2011)

Two of the most skilled the NBA has ever seen at the Power Foward position. What's your opinion?

oolalaa 10-06-2012 07:36 PM

Re: Battle of the Power Fowards: Kevin McHale vs. Pau Gasol

You will likely get smacked down for this comparison :oldlol:

Gasol is certainly a better facilitator/passer (One of the best passing big men of his generation in fact) but everything else goes to McHale. McHales career numbers don't do him justice.

BlackVVaves 10-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oolalaa

Get smacked down for comparing two skilled 7 footers whom were essential pieces to championship teams and highly underrated All-Time for their productive performances at their position?

:confusedshrug:

Catastrophique 10-06-2012 07:54 PM

If you want to consider their accolades, you might have to factor in Gasol's fantastic interational career. The guy was World Champion in 2006 and has won multiple individual awards in international competition.

As to the 'battle' itself, I wouldn't dare to say who's better. Both are -and will be- disturbingly underrated, but both are the kind of player you need if you want your team to work properly and win. I've seen them both -though I was fairly young back in the eighties- and yet I can't decide.

MiamiThrice 10-06-2012 07:54 PM

An interesting comparison.

McHale certainly had the better career accolades and peak numbers, but Gasol has one thing Mchale doesn't have. He was the best player on a team that won the title(2010). As good as McHale was he was ALWAYS second fiddle to Larry Bird, but Gasols dominance in the 2010 Finals was the primary reason his Lakers won the title.

McHale though was a premier defensive stopper, able to guard both swingman and bigman, and has arguably the best low post moves of all-time. You have to go with him. It's much closer than most people will care to admit though.

Heavincent 10-06-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
An interesting comparison.

McHale certainly had the better career accolades and peak numbers, but Gasol has one thing Mchale doesn't have. He was the best player on a team that won the title(2010). As good as McHale was he was ALWAYS second fiddle to Larry Bird, but Gasols dominance in the 2010 Finals was the primary reason his Lakers won the title.

McHale though was a premier defensive stopper, able to guard both swingman and bigman, and has arguably the best low post moves of all-time. You have to go with him. It's much closer than most people will care to admit though.

There's no agenda behind this post at all.

BlackVVaves 10-06-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catastrophique
If you want to consider their accolades, you might have to factor in Gasol's fantastic interational career. The guy was World Champion in 2006 and has won multiple individual awards in international competition.

As to the 'battle' itself, I wouldn't dare to say who's better. Both are -and will be- disturbingly underrated, but both are the kind of player you need if you want your team to work properly and win. I've seen them both -though I was fairly young back in the eighties- and yet I can't decide.

Hmm, didn't really consider Gasol's international play. I suppose they are mentionable if assessing each player's playing career, not just NBA career. Though, I'm not sure how much weight his individual awards overseas truly carry.

Do you know those multiple international awards off the top of your head?

Round Mound 10-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oolalaa

Gasol is certainly a better facilitator/passer (One of the best passing big men of his generation in fact) but everything else goes to McHale. McHales career numbers don't do him justice.

This

Doctor Rivers 10-06-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Round Mound
This

Not This

tontoz 10-06-2012 08:24 PM

At their best i say McHale was definitely better. His prime was short though. Pau has him beat decisively in longevity.

Round Mound 10-06-2012 08:25 PM

McHale was the Most Difficult PF to Guard in the 80s. He Beasted in the 86 Finals...I Don`t Think Gasol could Have Dominated Like That in an NBA Finals. McHale was a Better Defender and Shot Blocker than Gasol Per Minute. He was a Better Pure Scorer and Could Guard SFs, PFs and some Cs.

Gasol is a Better Creator or Passer thats About It.

McHale was Maybe a Better Rebounder because McHale Played with Parish and Larry for Rebounds, Im Sure When They Wherent Around He Had a Solid 10 RPG Player.

TheMarkMadsen 10-06-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Rivers
Not This

NOT THIS

But..

THIS

TaLvsCuaL 10-06-2012 08:38 PM

McHale was better player overall but we cant act that was much better because it is not true. 2 great players, a legend and a future legend.

Whoah10115 10-06-2012 08:46 PM

Pau Gasol IS a better rebounder than Kevin McHale. McHale is one of the great defenders and a great shot-blocker. Gasol is also a very good to great shot-blocker, but McHale was better. McHale is also the better scorer, tho Gasol is a great passer and facilitator.

Gasol's biggest issue is his unwillingness to take the reigns. It doesn't have to mean scoring. But seasons like 05/06 are examples of him taking the reigns. Even in the playoffs in 2010. Kobe was the team's best player, but Pau didn't sit by and play sidekick. He may or may not have played better in the Finals, but that some normal people (let's disregard the specials) think Gasol was better is a testament to how good he was.

But for now I'd certainly have to go with Kevin McHale.

BlackVVaves 10-06-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Pau Gasol IS a better rebounder than Kevin McHale. McHale is one of the great defenders and a great shot-blocker. Gasol is also a very good to great shot-blocker, but McHale was better. McHale is also the better scorer, tho Gasol is a great passer and facilitator.

Gasol's biggest issue is his unwillingness to take the reigns. It doesn't have to mean scoring. But seasons like 05/06 are examples of him taking the reigns. Even in the playoffs in 2010. Kobe was the team's best player, but Pau didn't sit by and play sidekick. He may or may not have played better in the Finals, but that some normal people (let's disregard the specials) think Gasol was better is a testament to how good he was.

But for now I'd certainly have to go with Kevin McHale.

It just can't be argued who the better defender was - McHale, like you said, is one of the great defenders, because of effectiveness and versatilty.

But, I'm interested to hear why you feel McHale was the better shot-blocker. Their blocks-per-game statistic is identical (1.7) and both players did/do a exceptional job of being mindful to try and keep balls they blocked in-play. Even when the outcome isn't to their desire, the effort is noticeable.