Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Would Gangnam exist from 1992-1996 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278620)

BMOGEFan 10-14-2012 12:53 AM

Would Gangnam exist from 1992-1996

I think gangnam is a load of crap...only in this generation would it be part of a popular culture.

Stuckey 10-14-2012 01:06 AM

Re: Would Gangnam exist from 1992-1996

well Youtube wouldn't exist so probably not

why you hatin'?

GreatGreg 10-14-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMOGEFan
I think gangnam is a load of crap...only in this generation would it be part of a popular culture.

Fuck off.

Gangnam style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macarena

Clifton 10-14-2012 01:13 AM

I think Gangnam is, for quite a few reasons, a real high point of pop culture.

1. It's international

2. It's viral

3. It's creative

4. It's earnest

5. It's fun

I think it's a good glimpse at the future of pop culture, art, and for that matter all innovation. It's not going to be some network or record exec deciding what's popular... we will. And we will do with it whatever we will. Make parodies, play with it, enhance it.

And it won't be about patents and copyrights and lobbies and corporations. It will be whoever's out there who's got it in them to innovate, who does it because he wants to put something out there.

I think it's really cool.

Lebron23 10-14-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatGreg
Fuck off.

Gangnam style>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macarena

This

ace23 10-14-2012 02:08 AM

The fck is Gangnam?

miller-time 10-14-2012 02:31 AM

The macarena existed. the only difference is that this might not have gotten the exposure because it is korean. but if gangnam came out in the US or maybe even a european country it still would have been pretty big.

there is something to be said about the post pop-culture ironic tone of the video though. people seem to be enthralled in the gimmicky and slightly kitsch right now. while it is fun to look at the world less seriously i am starting to get bored of it. memes and harping back to how great batman or ninja turtles were is getting kind of old. and gangnam style does have a certain element of that in it. so it might not have been AS big in the 90s because it'd be competing against more serious or darker musical ideas such as grunge, alternative rock, gangster rap, and metal.

MetsPackers 10-14-2012 02:40 AM

Well I really hope this isn't the future of music :biggums:

This kind of stuff that is all flash / no substance always gets a bunch of play from idiots who just follow trends. He's just a korean soulja-boi as far as i'm concerned. Its not something anyone will ever have on a personal playlist to listen to by themselves; its kinda just like a big joke and will probably be regarded that way historically [see vh1 one-hit wonders countdowns (vanilla ice and shyt)]

Scoooter 10-14-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifton
I think Gangnam is, for quite a few reasons, a real high point of pop culture.

1. It's international

2. It's viral

3. It's creative

4. It's earnest

5. It's fun

I think it's a good glimpse at the future of pop culture, art, and for that matter all innovation. It's not going to be some network or record exec deciding what's popular... we will. And we will do with it whatever we will. Make parodies, play with it, enhance it.

And it won't be about patents and copyrights and lobbies and corporations. It will be whoever's out there who's got it in them to innovate, who does it because he wants to put something out there.

I think it's really cool.

Unexpectedly good post. :cheers:

L.Kizzle 10-14-2012 03:47 AM

What is gangnam, like gangster music or some shit?

andgar923 10-14-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMOGEFan

why wouldn't it?

Only arguments I can see for it not existing are due to its geography and dub step was still infant if invented at all.

If you're referring to a trendy dance, then yes.

We can go back from the earliest times in music history and we have examples of fads that were popular.

Anybody remember 'The Monster Mash'? 'YMCA'? 'Who Let the Dogs Out'? 'Macarena'? 'I'm too sexy'? and sadly, many… many… many more. We saw one of these almost every other year.

JtotheIzzo 10-14-2012 04:23 AM

I've been to the Gangnam district of Seoul and a lot of the architecture led me to believe that existed from 1992-1996.

n00bie 10-14-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
I've been to the Gangnam district of Seoul and a lot of the architecture led me to believe that existed from 1992-1996.

I agree. Has been around for awhile.

ballup 10-14-2012 02:11 PM

Only in Korea. It's pretty catchy and the MV is pretty absurd. It would be harder for it to grow because it's not really a ballard, but if MMMBop by Hanson could be somewhat popular back then, I don't see why Gangnam style can't.

Clifton 10-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Well I really hope this isn't the future of music

This kind of stuff that is all flash / no substance always gets a bunch of play from idiots who just follow trends. He's just a korean soulja-boi as far as i'm concerned.
Well, don't just judge the whole thing off of one music video. The guy who made it is in fact very talented - as a live performer. Friends who have lived in Korea have told me this.

How many good live performers - at the stadium-crowd level - are there in popular music these days?

He's a lot of fun and he gets people going and he isn't weirdly evil like Lady Gaga or something. I'm a fan. I think he's great. Not everyone has to be Bob Dylan.