Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Dogfighting (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278621)

HardwoodLegend 10-14-2012 01:25 AM

Dogfighting
 
Have any of you ever been to a dogfight?

I'm horrified and disgusted by them, but I still find the whole culture and enterprise intriguing for some morbidly curious reason (not the actual fighting and pain the dogs go through). It's kind of like the mafia, cocaine dealing, and how I love watching movies about the subjects. I've seen one film where characters engaged in dogfighting ('Amores Perros'), and the underground environment is entertaining in a sick way. Hard to explain.

I don't think I'd ever want to witness it in person though.

senelcoolidge 10-14-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
I've seen dog and cat tossing. They fling usually smaller dogs..medium size dogs and who ever throws the dog or cat the furthest wins. One guy tosses the cats by the tail..I was surprised the cat's tail didn't come off.

Freedom Kid7 10-14-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Nice try Michael Vick.

But in all seriousness it pisses me off. Dogs are loyal, respectable and lovable, not things you put to fight and die. Guard maybe, but to fight and die and put a dog out if he's a poor fighter, I get upset.

JMT 10-14-2012 01:58 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
I've seen dog and cat tossing. They fling usually smaller dogs..medium size dogs and who ever throws the dog or cat the furthest wins. One guy tosses the cats by the tail..I was surprised the cat's tail didn't come off.


You're a despicable individual.

senelcoolidge 10-14-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
You're a despicable individual.


I didn't do this I thought it was despicable too. The people that think this is a sport are crazy.

DonD13 10-14-2012 02:16 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
anybody has a link to a good documentary?

HardwoodLegend 10-14-2012 02:53 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
Nice try Michael Vick.

But in all seriousness it pisses me off. Dogs are loyal, respectable and lovable, not things you put to fight and die. Guard maybe, but to fight and die and put a dog out if he's a poor fighter, I get upset.


Michael Vick?

LOL, no it pisses me off too. I was just watching a clip on youtube about the rescued dogs from his compound. Never seen any of that before, and the hurt in their eyes and scarring on their faces made my stomach turn. I'm not a callous human being.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm intrigued by the criminal mind. The whole preparation aspect (training, organizing the venue, etc.) is interesting to investigate and makes for a watchable subject cinematically like other criminal enterprises. The actual dogfighting and bloodletting itself makes me cringe. Don't delight in it at all.

HardwoodLegend 10-14-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
And, speaking of Michael Vick specifically, I truly believe he is GENUINELY remorseful for what he did. Not simply because he got caught, but he did learn how his treatment of those animals was wrong.

He grew up with a different view, and I do believe his work with the Humane Society now is coming from the heart.

CelticBaller 10-14-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
I did it for a living, it was easy money but my owner wasn't so kind :(

flipogb 10-14-2012 04:08 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
if some country eats dogs and have cows as pets. would they be wrong ?

not saying dogfigthing should be perfectly fine but nobody shoul be all high and mighty and be outraged by it.

Mr. I'm So Rad 10-14-2012 04:21 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flipogb
if some country eats dogs and have cows as pets. would they be wrong ?

not saying dogfigthing should be perfectly fine but nobody shoul be all high and mighty and be outraged by it.


Humans have lived with canines for thousands of years. Some people can't get over that instinct to put dogs on a higher pedestal than other creatures. People pay and cheer to see two guys beat the shit out of each other, but groan at two dogs going at it.

HardwoodLegend 10-14-2012 05:01 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Humans have lived with canines for thousands of years. Some people can't get over that instinct to put dogs on a higher pedestal than other creatures. People pay and cheer to see two guys beat the shit out of each other, but groan at two dogs going at it.


Dogfighting is far harder on a dog than boxing, MMA, etc. is on a human.

They fight 'til the death most of the time, and one fight often leaves them with injuries they carry for the rest of their lives.

And, another difference is humans volunteer and actually dream about becoming pro fighters some day. Dogs are forced into it and some instinctively don't want to do it only to get drowned by their owner for refusing.

upside24 10-14-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Went to a guys house to buy something and he was hosting a dogfight. I knew he did it but I'd never witnessed a dogfight before. Got what I wanted and left. I find it disgusting.

Mr. I'm So Rad 10-14-2012 05:12 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Dogfighting is far harder on a dog than boxing, MMA, etc. is on a human.


Really? No one who has ever been a professional fighter or even football player has ever retired and been f*cked up afterwards? To the point where their physical/mental condition is permanently altered?

Quote:

They fight 'til the death most of the time, and one fight often leaves them with injuries they carry for the rest of their lives.

Same thing happens with horses. When the prized stallions can't race anymore (unless they have won a lot) they are disposed of. Yet no one complains.

Quote:

And, another difference is humans volunteer and actually dream about becoming pro fighters some day. Dogs are forced into it and some instinctively don't want to do it only to get drowned by their owner for refusing.

Valid point here, but it doesn't the reality of the nature of the sports I've mentioned. People can volunteer and dream of jumping off of a building. It doesn't make it any less harsh a "dream" does it?

I like dogs, a lot. But honestly the reason people get so worked up about it is because well...they're dogs. If people in some run down boons were training and making rats or snakes fight each other no one would give a f*ck. Hell, people can watch a movie like Saw just to see people get slaughtered. But everyone cried and sobbed when Will Smith's dog died in I Am Legend.

Tarik One 10-14-2012 05:40 PM

Re: Dogfighting
 
My old neighbor does it. He hosts underground tournaments from time to time all over the metro area. He has an old U-Haul truck that he keeps his equipment in. Treadmill, dog ring, etc..

I know he makes a lot of money doing it, because he moved to a mini-mansion in the burbs


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy