Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278630)

All Net 10-14-2012 09:48 AM

Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Appears thats whats being said

thoughts? think they may get away with this vs most teams.

JohnnySic 10-14-2012 10:14 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
LOL. Maybe they should have brought in a big instead of 35,985 3 point shooters.

PJR 10-14-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
LOL. Maybe they should have brought in a big instead of 35,985 3 point shooters.


Still likely to kick the Celtics ass for the third time in a row, en route to the Finals again, regardless. So it's all good.

andgar923 10-14-2012 10:42 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by All Net
Appears thats whats being said

thoughts? think they may get away with this vs most teams.

He did a great job on Griffin last night. But I doubt it will work on a consistent basis.

But then again, there isn't really any true big men. Most play in the perimeter with little post up.

Griffin is supposed to be this great big man, with superior physical gifts and he had a hard time against him.

Fiasco 10-14-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andgar923
He did a great job on Griffin last night. But I doubt it will work on a consistent basis.

But then again, there isn't really any true big men. Most play in the perimeter with little post up.

Griffin is supposed to be this great big man, with superior physical gifts and he had a hard time against him.


lol preseason

I am begging Miami to play Battier on Griffin in the regular season.

PJR 10-14-2012 11:01 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiasco
lol preseason

I am begging Miami to play Battier on Griffin in the regular season.


Battier would do a competent job on Griffin, just as he did against David West in the playoffs last year. Griffin is like 6'8" with t-Rex arms. Battier could hold him to his averages.

Fiasco 10-14-2012 11:04 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJR
Battier would do a competent job on Griffin, just as he did against David West in the playoffs last year. Griffin is like 6'8" with t-Rex arms. Battier could hold him to his averages.


Yes... David West is similar to Blake Griffin, in terms of athleticism, conditioning, and strength. It would be the same thing.

You've got me there.

andgar923 10-14-2012 11:05 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiasco
lol preseason

I am begging Miami to play Battier on Griffin in the regular season.


Why do people keep saying that?

Did you watch the game?

They kept going to Griffin. Do you think he was playing any less or not trying hard enough because it was preseason?

Griffin was being guarded by Battier without help for the vast majority of the time, and he kept displaying his bad post up game. Is this gonna stop instantly once the regular season starts and he'll start going on a Kevin McHale-esque rampage down low?

And for whatever excuse or reasoning you wanna make regarding the "preseason" can't the same be said about Battier and the Heat?

Don't you think they'll make adjustments to how they defend? Don't you think Battier will change his approach?

Not that I'm defending Battier or the Heat at all. It's more a criticism on today's big men. if Griffin is supposed to be one of the best power forwards, then maybe the Heat are on to something here.

TheGreatDeraj 10-14-2012 11:09 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Let's be real here. Lebron is the power forward. He's bigger, stronger, better rebounder, actually plays inside the paint instead of camping for corner 3's and is going to guard the bigger pf's with post games

andgar923 10-14-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
Let's be real here. Lebron is the power forward. He's bigger, stronger, better rebounder, actually plays inside the paint instead of camping for corner 3's and is going to guard the bigger pf's with post games


I think the main reason Battier is gonna play the PF position, is for the defensive side of things.

This'll keep Bron rested and away from foul trouble. It will allow him to roam like Scottie did, and help on the big men.

The Heat are betting on putting all the defensive pressure on the wing players. They attempt to tire them out and make it hard for them to dump the ball inside. They did this with mixed results last night, we'll see what adjustments they make.

dbugz 10-14-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andgar923
Why do people keep saying that?

Did you watch the game?

They kept going to Griffin. Do you think he was playing any less or not trying hard enough because it was preseason?

Griffin was being guarded by Battier without help for the vast majority of the time, and he kept displaying his bad post up game. Is this gonna stop instantly once the regular season starts and he'll start going on a Kevin McHale-esque rampage down low?

And for whatever excuse or reasoning you wanna make regarding the "preseason" can't the same be said about Battier and the Heat?

Don't you think they'll make adjustments to how they defend? Don't you think Battier will change his approach?

Not that I'm defending Battier or the Heat at all. It's more a criticism on today's big men. if Griffin is supposed to be one of the best power forwards, then maybe the Heat are on to something here.


I now conclude that the Lakers are going to suck this season. Every preseason game is a must win now because it translate to how are you going to play on the actual season. Players and teams who are experimenting their plays and moves must be given a notice that they need to take each preseason games seriously. Lakers badly need to win a preseason game asap.

longtime lurker 10-14-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
LOL. Maybe they should have brought in a big instead of 35,985 3 point shooters.


Lol this. I see this coming back to hurt the Heat as I don't see Battier being able to guard PF's for the whole season and Bosh as your defensive anchor. Don't know why they didn't take a flyer on a guy like Andre Blatche or Darko.

andgar923 10-14-2012 11:18 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbugz
I now conclude that the Lakers are going to suck this season. Every preseason game is a must win now because it translate to how are you going to play on the actual season. This time of experimenting your plays and moves aren't applicable anymore. Lakers badly need to win a preseason game asap.


My reply was a criticism on ONE player. A player that still hasn't evolved and developed the most elementary post up game. Not once did he display any sort of improvement in the post.

All Net 10-14-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
main starters never go hard in pre-season...you never take anything from it.

KingBeasley08 10-14-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward
 
Pretty solid plan; worked wonders in the Finals last year. Battier playing PF usually takes big men outta the paint for slashers like Lebron and Wade to go in.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy