Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278653)

CavaliersFTW 10-14-2012 09:56 PM

Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

This question is for people with any varying degree of fear of heights - if somebody said you could win 1 billion U.S. dollars no catch 100% guaranteed if you did exactly what these workers are doing in the video (with only the equipment they have) - and just 1 week to prepare for it (training, safety / technique / practice runs) - would you do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_h2AjJaMw

I personally am afraid of heights to a certain extent - I'm not afraid to go on any ladder or say, climb a tree less than 15 feet but beyond 20 feet I start to get nervous, and when I climb to the tops of 80 and 100 foot firetowers and such to say I am not full of adrenaline and nervous when I'm doing it would be a lie. For 1 billion dollars as a prize, I would lose sleep over this all week and would probably have a massive panic attack / heart attack once I got off the elevator of that thing upon preparing to climb but I think i'd give it a shot lol

If that deal wouldn't get you to climb it, or if it is overkill, what would it take to get you to carry a bucket of dangling tools up that radio tower w/o any personal safety ropes to replace the lightbulb at the very top?

bmulls 10-14-2012 11:37 PM

Re: Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

For a billion hell yeah I'd do it. With all the regulations and stuff in the US there's no way it's really that dangerous. Obviously riskier than sitting at a desk, but it's not like you got a 50/50 shot of dying lol.

Still a scary job, I get seriously nervous just watching that

Stuckey 10-14-2012 11:58 PM

Re: Who here is afraid of heights? (Crazy vid, hypothetical scenario discussion!)

I'm scared shitless of heights but for a billion, I'd do it

SourPatchKids 10-15-2012 12:03 AM

I wouldn't do it but if I fell at least it would be a long way(not really) to the bottom which would allow for a good time to ponder over my life. Best way to suicide.
just kidding

EnoughSaid 10-15-2012 12:06 AM

I'm scared of heights, but I go on those 300+ rides at the amusement parks and what not. If I had guaranteed protection and a parachute on my back, yeah I'd do it.

The Macho Man 10-15-2012 12:06 AM

I'd suck a dick at the top of that tower for $100,000.

jaydacris 10-15-2012 12:08 AM

id do it without the safety equipment

Eat Like A Bosh 10-15-2012 12:09 AM

I was scared shitless watching that vid, but for a billion dollars? Yeah Definitely!

Sometimes in life you gotta take a chance!

Or like Sourpatch said, if you hate your life, may as well go for it. You make it, win a bill, turn your life around. If You fail, you commit suicide and end your miserable life. Win win.

CavaliersFTW 10-15-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
I'm scared of heights, but I go on those 300+ rides at the amusement parks and what not. If I had guaranteed protection and a parachute on my back, yeah I'd do it.

okay - with safety gear i'd probably attempt it for less than 100,000 dollars let alone 1 billion - but how bout the scenario of the OP? (far more life endangering);

Nothing but the equipment they used in the video... ; free climbing, no ropes or safety harnesses - nothing but a hard hat on your head and construction gloves, and a waist clip to clip onto something if you want to take a stationary rest, and you have to lug that 30lb bucket of swaying tools dangling below your feet to the top because your job is to change the light bulb once up there

Cherry Picker 10-15-2012 12:16 AM

Nah **** that
Got nervous just watching the vid

CavaliersFTW 10-15-2012 12:17 AM

I just want to go on the record as saying although i'd attempt it for 1 billion, i'd say there's only a 50/50 chance I follow through and complete the task :lol

50% chance I complete it

45% chance I'm killed in the process

5% chance I pass out and am rendered unable to continue (may also lead to my death)

Honestly I just don't see how I could get past the feeling of vertigo, and if you get vertigo and have no safety ropes or harnesses your F*CKED... vertigo ****s up your balance and u can't climb that damn thing without sound balance :lol

flipogb 10-15-2012 12:17 AM

with safety gear, a new car might be enough but im not afraid of heights. now if that we are talking roller coasters, then id have a a problem

CavaliersFTW 10-15-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipogb
with safety gear, a new car might be enough but im not afraid of heights. now if that we are talking roller coasters, then id have a a problem

So even for a new car you wouldn't ride a rollercoaster? :wtf: What would it take to get you to go on a rollercoaster?

I'm somewhat afraid of rollercoasters too, but hell... for a used car i'd probably ride any rollercoaster ever made... and i'd be sure it was filmed so i could upload my hilarious terrified reaction :lol - the one thing about rollercoasters is no matter how scary I at least know they are safe - free climbing a 1,700 foot tower no thicker than your leg with no ropes or safety gear doesn't appear to be safe to me knowing that I get vertigo so that's why it would take an outragious amount of value for me to attempt it, it's basically how much do I think my life is worth :lol

flipogb 10-15-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
So even for a new car you wouldn't ride a rollercoaster? :wtf: What would it take to get you to go on a rollercoaster?

I'm somewhat afraid of rollercoasters too, but hell... for a used car i'd probably ride any rollercoaster ever made... and i'd be sure it was filmed so i could upload my hilarious terrified reaction :lol - the one thing about rollercoasters is no matter how scary I at least know they are safe - free climbing a 1,700 foot tower no thicker than your leg with no ropes or safety gear doesn't appear to be safe to me knowing that I get vertigo so that's why it would take an outragious amount of value for me to attempt it, it's basically how much do I think my life is worth :lol

it would take a slow coaster, lol.

CavaliersFTW 10-15-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipogb
it would take a slow coaster, lol.

Give a cash value of riding say: the Top Thrill Dragster or Millennium Force at Cedar Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZtg9teFusk

http://youtu.be/3D2PktFecok

how much $$$ are we talkin? :lol